The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2006, 06:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Anti-terrorist legislation

The House yesterday approved President Bush's proposal for the handling of terrorism suspects held at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, bringing the administration one step closer to having the legal authority to interrogate and prosecute the detainees.

"These terrorist tribunals will allow the suspected terrorists to address the charges against them with legal defense provided by the U.S. government," House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert, Illinois Republican, said after the vote. In a mostly party-line 253-168 vote, Republicans backed the bill by a 219-7 margin and Democrats opposed it by a 160-34 margin. The House's one independent voted "no." The measure now goes to the Senate.

Just before voting, Majority Leader John A. Boehner, Ohio Republican, made clear that Republicans will use the vote in the November elections against Democrats who opposed the bill. "Will my Democrat friends work with Republicans to give the president the tools he needs to continue to stop terrorist attacks before they happen, or will they vote to force him to fight the terrorists with one arm tied behind his back?" he said.

Republican leaders were quick to criticize Democrats who voted against the legislation. "Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and 159 of her Democrat colleagues voted today in favor of more rights for terrorists," Mr. Hastert said. "So, the same terrorists who plan to harm innocent Americans and their freedom worldwide would be coddled if we followed the Democrat plan."

Pelosi spokeswoman Jennifer Crider decried "Speaker Hastert's false and inflammatory rhetoric," calling it "yet another desperate attempt to mislead the American people and provoke fear. "Democrats will not be swift-boated," she said, referring to ads that hurt Democrats' 2004 presidential candidate, Sen. John Kerry. "We want [terrorists] punished, [Da dims are still thinking that terrorism is a criminal justice problem, not a war thing!] whatever that punishment is, and don't want it overturned by the Supreme Court. This bill may make it more likely the Supreme Court will overturn those convictions and may put our troops at greater risk." [Madam, can you explain how this might happen?]

The proposal would grant terror suspects more legal rights than they had under the system of military tribunals set up by the administration after the September 11 attacks, which the Supreme Court struck down in June. [Thanks again to liberal justices.] Nevertheless, the new courts would not grant many of the basic rights Americans usually have in civilian and military courts, a point Democrats protested. [The obvious is lost on da Dims: terrorists are not ENTITLED to the basic right Americans have, nor should they be.]

"This bill is everything we don't believe in," said Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich, Ohio Democrat. [Well, what do you Dims believe in?]

Rep. Barney Frank, Massachusetts Democrat, said the proposal doesn't provide enough checks and balances to prevent erroneous convictions. [Let's see: a terrorist is captured on the battlefield with an AK-47 or RPG or IED in his hands. He gets tried by a military tribunal. He is convicted of being a terrorist. How much of a possibility or 'erroneous conviction' can there be?]

Other provisions opposed by Democrats give the president broad authority to decide which techniques U.S. interrogators can use legally. [It's called the authority of the Commander-in-Chief. You ain't it. Get over it.]

American interrogators and prosecutors, Mr. Frank said, "are the good guys, but they're not the perfect guys."

The House vote took place shortly after Democrats and Republicans in the Senate reached an agreement to take up the measure with only a handful of amendments. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist told reporters that he hoped to pass the bill today without any of the amendments being approved, so it could go directly to Mr. Bush's desk for his signature. Mr. Frist said voters will side with those who support the tribunals. "People realize it's a new world," said Mr. Frist, Tennessee Republican. "We need to have appropriate tools."

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2006, 12:22 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Once again, the oblique, sublime and obscure arguments are the asserted purpose hiding behind the straw man running pic plays for the real purpose. Fill in the real purpose blanks with this one.

Just like the Voter I.D issue, over 80% of the US population surveyed want voter I.D., but I expect that that legislation will be languishing in legal limbo and bouncing around the courts like a BB in a tin trash can for ages.
The MSM and Demos are dead-set against voter I.D. and are lashing out with Styrofoam popcorn indignation, so no doubt that issue is court-bound. Same destiny for any sensible border control legislation, apparently the ?for the people?, people totally ignore the people and go Judge shopping when the vast majority don?t jump in the parade of ridiculous notions.

Per Jennifer Crider "Democrats will not be swift-boated," Chure, unless they try to ?Swift boat? a somewhat gullible and unformed electorate again, especially those who haven?t fully developed their map reading skills as yet. She a funny Lady, huh. :re:

Scamp
Old 10-03-2006, 05:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Its ironic that Jimmy Carter who loves to observe Foreign Elections thinks we here in the USA should have Voter Photo ID Cards but.... the rest of the DNC thinks that the Photo ID Cards would be against the Constitution and be unfair to old folks,rural voters and minorities. But all these same folks are required to have a Photo ID to fly, get their Checks from the Government and medical benefits. But, somehow the idea that someone would have to get a photo id would be an impediment to their voting even if the State of Ga here gives them one for free for example. Thats why our last Governor Roy Barnes is suing the State of GA with his cherry picked Judges he appointed as Governor going along with the lawsuits in his Favor. I think any Judge appointed by a Governor that is also The Lawyer presenting the lawsuit should recuse them selves from the case if they are the Judge in that court.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:19 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Just curious Jerry, but do the shenanigans of O?Roy-O?Roy seem a bit transparent to the usual folks of Georgia or do they buy into the press-gang n? rip-off the vote, free- for- all justification.
Given all n? all I?m a bit hard- shelled about the hypothetical person that has reached majority years plus, and remains unidentified. It?s feasible and possible I suppose, but then that seems to make a mockery of the Federal assistance programs for the rural poor. What then, did all that go missing in the equation?

Then according to what I think I know, or think I know, Fed Law trumps State Law, and not so sure O?Roy-O Roy? s purchased Judges can hear the appeal case against the USA once they get the original and purchased for-gone conclusion.

Scamp
Old 10-05-2006, 10:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Scamp , Roy Barnes is suing in State Court and is using the GA state Constitution as his basis and even though 70% of the people in GA want Photo IDs to vote the vocal 30% which includes the NAACP, ARRP, and ACLU feel their constituency will be affected negatively by requiring them to have photo ID which will eliminate The Deceased and Mentally Infirmed from voting. In GA this is the procedure to Vote ,which hasn't changed in Years,When you arrive at your polling place, you will complete a voter's certificate which asks for your name and residence address. You will then present the certificate and proper identification to the poll officials who will verify that you are a registered voter in that precinct by checking the voters list for that precinct. Voters are required to present identification at their polling place prior to casting their ballot. Proper identification shall consist of any one of the following:

(1) A valid Georgia driver's license;

(2) A valid identification card issued by a branch, department, agency, or entity of the State of Georgia, any other state, or the United States authorized by law to issue personal identification;

(3) A valid United States passport;

(4) A valid employee identification card containing a photograph of the elector and issued by any branch, department, agency, or entity of the United States government, this state, or any county, municipality, board, authority, or other entity of this state;

(5) A valid employee identification card containing a photograph of the elector and issued by any employer of the elector in the ordinary course of such employer?s business;

(6) A valid student identification card containing a photograph of the elector from any public or private college, university, or postgraduate technical or professional school located within the State of Georgia;

(7) A valid Georgia license to carry a pistol or revolver;

(8) A valid pilot's license issued by the Federal Aviation Administration or other authorized agency of the United States;

(9) A valid United States military identification card;

(10) A certified copy of the elector's birth certificate;

(11) A valid social security card;

(12) Certified naturalization documentation;

(13) A certified copy of court records showing adoption, name, or sex change;

(14) A current utility bill, or a legible copy thereof, showing the name and address of the elector;

(15) A bank statement, or a legible copy thereof, showing the name and address of the elector;

(16) A government check or paycheck, or a legible copy thereof, showing the name and address of the elector; or

(17) A government document, or a legible copy thereof, showing the name and address of the elector.

#'s 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,or 17 all can either be found in the Trash,Bought, or forged and none show the photo of the person claiming to be John or Jane Doe at 123 Here I am BLVD, Any-town, GA. So If Gran-ma is on a respirator anyone with access to her utility bill could say they were Granny Smith. Last week the GA legislature has been talking about amending the Constitution in order to meet the court challenges from those who are opposed 100% to any type of Photo ID to secure a voter is who they claim to be.I hope the Legislature can get an Amendment on the Ballot by the 2008 election.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:52 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default JerryD

One would have to be blind, deaf, stupid, or a Democrat (or am repeating myelf) not to be able to come up with at least one of the 17!

I'll be working three days of early voting this month, in addition to the regular voting day in November, and I can assure you that the fullest extent of the law will be applied.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 10-08-2006, 06:13 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default SuperScout...(sorry about that)

Numbers 14 through 17 seem like some pretty-lame or
nonsensical ways of verifying one as a LEGITIMATE
American Citizen Voter, TO ME.

After all, even Foreign Islamic Mass-Murdering-Scum and/or
Despicable Terrorists no doubt can show both such proofs of
being alive and having a home address,...
PROVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! Neither does A Driver License.

Naturally,...to Democrat Leaders/Politicians such (even licenses)
PROVE EVERYTHING and/or ONLY that which BOTH Foreign
Terrorists & American Democrat Politicians CAN TRULY APPRECIATE.
Truly a disgusting National Shame. Don't you think?

Neil
Old 10-08-2006, 12:55 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Brice those 17 items are the old standard for voting ID the new Requirements are narroed down to a half a dozen which are all photo ID's here in GA

Neil,
I agree all #14-17 prove is residency at the most.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:28 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Jerry...

Since agreeing in general,...I must believe that you too
think that using 14 through 17 to register to vote by mail,...
is even WORSE & MORE STUPID nationally accepting?

Hell,...by mail such doesn't even prove that someone actually
exists,...and given enough bogus names and bogus addresses,
one bum can vote MULTIPLE times and in MULTIPLE places,...
and/or far and wide as can drive (or MANY can be bused by
political beneficiaries),...during the voting day.

Political patronizers of foreigners (both here legally or illegally),
just love our registering to vote and voting system EXACTLY
THE WAY IT IS.

So, and since we peasants don't set the rules...tough luck
for We Americans and get used to that: "Viva La Raza" superiority
and racial supremacy.

Whatever Jerry, recognize this. If White Anglos and/or: "Gringos"
in concert chanted: "Viva La Raza" in English, such would
automatically be declared RACISTS whom are all guilty of inciting
to riot or perpetrating a despicable hate crime.

Guess that ONLY WHITES can be bigoted RACISTS,
and all other races just merely showing their usual
Great Racial and Ethnic Pride,...AS USUAL??

Hey,...THEY MUST BE RIGHT???
THEY certainly always get away with such an apparently
blatant bias & racism,...WHENEVER IT SUITS THEM.
Also, which month is White History Month?

Neil