The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2002, 12:07 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking No Nativity Scene In Washington D.C.!

The news reported that there will be no nativity scenes in the Capitol this year. It seems that they couldn't find.

3 wise men or a virgin.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2002, 05:48 AM

Keith,
The schools here no longer have Christmas Vacation. It's now a mid-winter break. We can't offend the atheists you know. I just want to know where it's written that you have a right to not be offended.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:52 AM

Unfortunately, Keith, there are no nativity scenes in many places this year. Like Drywall said, it seems that some people are offended by such things.

I note, however, that those people still take time off from work and school during the Christmas Holiday. Do I detect a hint of hypocrisy?

Mid-winter break. BAH! What a BS term. Winter doesen't even START until 12/21 or thereabouts, and the first day of spring is on or about March 21. (Oops - that's right! We're talking the "new math" here!

I'm proud to be politically incorrect.

Jeff
Old 12-05-2002, 07:04 AM

Default Re: No Nativity Scene In Washington D.C.!

The news reported that there will be no nativity scenes in the Capitol this year. It seems that they couldn't find.

3 wise men or a virgin.

Keith

If it wasn't so serious it would be funny. You have the uncanny knack of creating good clean fun out of almost anything. Might have to change my religion.

You got room in your church?
Old 12-05-2002, 07:30 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I have found that the easiest way not to be offended is not to look at things I don?t care for. Jezzzz, that seems simple enough one would think. I suppose in times ahead Christmas will be renamed to some other term and the entire reason for the celebration will have gone missing. With that, Nativity scenes will become a high-risk clandestine activity I?m thinking. My neighborhood is all decoed and lit up as usual. But as usual it is a display of lights and holiday themes and that?s about it.

Presently I?m psyching up to go do my shopping but once again I?m practicing not making any sudden moves, being invisible and all that stealth stuff. The shopping mall in Reno is ?no man?s land? and mortal dangers lurk at every counter, door and especially near any sign that indicates a ?Sale?. It?s a real ?Oh Aarrgg? if one dares reach for an item that one of them Lady shoppers has an eye on. Zow, it?s a good way to loose an arm or worse. But at all risks I shall perceiver to endeavor once again and get in the spirit of it all.

Scamp
Old 12-05-2002, 07:35 AM

Scamp

I don't want to go down that 'Women' path again but when it comes to shopping they certainly know how to defend an AO and always attack with a clear strategic objective. Win Win Win.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:40 AM

Good luck on your foray into the unknown, Scamp.

Just remember this story I heard many years ago...

A man went Christmas shopping and was constantly elbowed and shoved out of the way by all of the women shoppers. He finally just stepped back, put both arms out in front of him, and waded into the mob.

A woman looked down her nose at him and sniffed, "Well! You're certainly not acting like a gentleman!"

He responded, "Ma'am, I've been acting like a gentleman for over an hour. Now I'm gonna start acting like a lady!"

Jeff
Old 12-05-2002, 08:31 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post I was surprised . . . . . .

I was surprised at the direction of this thread. Several years ago the Lutheran Pastor gave me a call. He said, "Keith you can't believe it I was just had a visit with my daughter in the principal's office." It seems his daughter had worn a tee shirt to school with some sort of religious symbol on it. And, some teacher was offended because she was a non-believer and the tee shirt was unappropiate behavior for a child. He agreed not to let his little girl wear another religious tee shirt to school. The other Pastors in town and I all asked our kids to wear religious tee shirts to school the next week. The elementary school didn't know what to do, the offended teacher called the school attorney and he informed her that children have the right to wear whatever they want to school as long as isn't offensive to community standards, so she described these offensive tee shirts and the lawyer told her those aren't consider offensive. What really made us angry about this in the religious community is that some of the kids were wearing tee shirts with profanity and symbolism that I believe was really offensive to most adults, yet that didn't offend this teacher but a simple shirt from a Lutheran Camp was considered offensive. What PC is: "Book Burning"

Keith
Old 12-05-2002, 10:46 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Keith......

I?m told that there are some redeeming qualities to proper and diligent pursuit of Political Correctness. It?s just that I haven?t seen any demonstrated as yet and the continuing saga of the little kiddos having to give up their rights and beliefs is just more evidence that there may be no redeeming qualities to be found at all. As I recall, it was just last year that some enlightened group of Civic Leaders in New Jersey, I think, decided to ban Santa from appearing in the Holiday parade as it offended some ?tender hearts?. Well, big surprise for them as everyone of the City Fireman that appeared on parade fire fighting equipment had on a Santa outfit. Goodness, talk about a kick in the butt for PC and the inspired Civic Leaders. I waited to see if the firefighters were going to get fired over the disobedience. But that didn?t happen as every network was tuned in and waiting for the public hanging of the Santa-dressed fireman.

Somehow your saga of fellow Ministers vs. the offended Teacher brought this Santa/Christmas memory back. Thanks, smiles are important this time of year.

Scamp
Old 12-05-2002, 11:12 AM

Keith,

I'd be surprised over the next 10 years that many of the old movies will be stricken because of religious overtones in them.

I don't understand how the courts can over-rule a religious practice when our constitution say's we have this freedom.
What are they trying to do make us closet worshippers?

Ah regardless - may God keep you (and all our friends) safe and healthy over the end of this year - and next - and the next - and the next. After that I will have to do an audit.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"