The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Other Conflicts > Cold War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2002, 12:38 PM

Default Question: "Where we REALLY ready in European theater for the Russians"?

I was stationed in FRG (Federal Republic of Germany) from 9/73 to 2/76 with the 3rd SQD 12th CAV, attached to 3rd Armor DIV. We were stationed in Budingen, FRG. Our mission was to delay the enemy, if they ever crossed the border, till the units from the states and other participating countries got their Armies together to relieve us. My question is this ...How were we suppose to do this when NO ONE in the SQD had a full crew on the tanks?
Normally all the tanks had was a T.C. and a driver ...maybe an odd loader on a few tracks. Even when we qualified the tanks at Graf, we'd have crews made up from different tank crews just to get the tanks we did have qualified (tanks were listed by tank numbers, not crew names). I was young and dumb back then and didn?t think too much about it, but I've smartened up a bit since then, So now I'm curious ...I'm guessing our asses would have been swinging in the wind!
Anybody else have the some problems?
Old 07-09-2002, 11:35 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Answer: NO 11echo

Plus, and since vastly outnumbered in armor alone (about 8-10 to one), and God only knows how badly outnumbered in Infantry, The American Public was never permitted knowing that the best case scenario for any Delaying Actions was being overrun in only 3 days,...if lucky. Having served as a Recon Scout (MOS 133.60/Armored Intel. Spec.) on The Czech/West German Border from 1955 to 58 with 10th Recon Co initially and later with "The A Troop" of 3rd Recon Sqdn/7th Cavalry, I know exactly what-the-hell I'm talking about.

It wasn't until many years later (re. The Reagan Presidency), in that the playing field came even close to being levelled.
The threat of nuetron bombs and/or the best tank-killer (in volume) known mankind most certainly did the trick,...and without use of nuclear war and/or fear of: "MAD" being the final outcome.

Also, I must believe that same nuetron bomb was one of the major reasons for The Wall to come tumbling down.
Wouldn't you think? After all, and even though The Soviets were sort-of Gung-Ho also,...I don't think they were suicidal.

Alpha 11 and/or Neil
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 07:36 PM

Like any good Soldier, I'd like to think that we'd have kicked their butts. Although I don't like to believe it, it may be true that NATO ground forces in Western Europe were essentially a "trip wire" -- had the Rooskies come rolling through the Fulda Gap the US would have responded with massive nuclear bombing of the Soviet Union. This might be true (and it was definitely true of our Berlin Brigade), however, following the Berlin Crisis of 1961, 7th Army combat units in West Germany were brought up to strength and there was a lot of serious preparation for quick reinforcement by Stateside units. When my outfit arrived in West Germany in January, 1963, I was impressed with the fine equipment, combat readiness & realistic training of our 7th Army. Germany was an "armed camp." Everywhere I went were convoys of US, UK, Bundeswehr, and French Troops. Soldiers lived in the field and were probably as prepared as possible for a Warsaw Pact assault. Outnumbering us as they did, the Eastern Bloc may have succeded in reaching the English Channel but we'd have blooded their noses real well and their countries would have been destroyed by the Strategic Air Command. I've heard that during the Vietnam Conflict USAREUR ground forces were allowed to deteriorate, once again, in terms of units' combat strength and conduct of training.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:06 PM

I served with the 1/2ACR on "The Rock",Bindlach Germany. Were we ready? Our motto is Toujours Pret (always ready) That aside I was told that if attacked the big push would have been so fast that from where we were we had just minutes if not seconds to muster and or die. Man that was reasuring to me I always wondered why I slept with one eye open!
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought,but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones" Albert Einstein(comtemplating nuclear devastation.)