Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Coast Guard

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2003, 07:34 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Sailor Trivia Test #2

OK Jeff, now its my turn. Here's 5 more nautical questions:

1. What is a degaussing cable used for?

2. You are at the helm and the skipper tells you to shift the rudder, what do you do?

3. What is the plimsoll marker?

4. When the helmsman acknowledges the last command the skipper gives him, the skipper says "very well". Why is that specific phrase used?

5. As lookout, you spot a target two points abaft the starboard beam. What is the relative bearing of that object?

Have fun!!!

Bill

King John 2.1.466
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2003, 07:42 PM

Is this quiz open to the public or are you two doing 15 rounds solo?
Old 01-07-2003, 07:50 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Nah, Wazza, have at it. I posted mine then realized that all the questions hadn't been answered yet. But mine are easier, Jeff gets too esoteric sometimes

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 01-08-2003, 07:39 AM

Esoteric? It seems that you're writing the book on esoteric inquiries!

Waz, I'd much prefer that everyone get involved in these "tests of meaningless trivia." After all, Bill isn't the only one who's supposed to have fun here!!!

Now then. I wasn't even a deck ape, nor was I ever involved with navigation.

1. What is a degaussing cable used for? I think I remember that degaussing gear sets up neutralizing magnetic fields to protect a ship from electronic mines. I suppose the same principle would apply for eliminating magnetic fields that interfere with the operation of electronic equipment, because I've heard the term used in general electronics terminology for civilian applications. But I'm not sure. (See disclaimer above.)

2. You are at the helm and the skipper tells you to shift the rudder, what do you do? To shift the rudder you swing it an equal distance in the opposite direction.

3. What is the plimsoll marker? A plimsol marker is on the side of a ship to indicate allowed loading depths.

4. When the helmsman acknowledges the last command the skipper gives him, the skipper says "very well". Why is that specific phrase used? ?Very well? means the skipper has received and understands the info the helmsman gave him. The term is also used to grant permission. "Aye-aye" would be much different, since it indicates that an order from a superior has been received, is understood, and will be carried out.

5. As lookout, you spot a target two points abaft the starboard beam. What is the relative bearing of that object? I didn't do well on bearings and positioning, even in boot camp. The CG made a wise decision to not allow me to steer one of their large vessels; 40-boats I could handle! I've heard these terms but don't know their meaning(s).

What about my quiz? Questions 1 and 4 should be a snap for everyone; they're both history-related.

Jeff
Old 01-08-2003, 07:45 AM

Avast me hardies, arrrrrrr.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:52 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Jeff,

Right on for Questions 1,2 and 3. 4, you left out an element of importance that I will not yield to you yet to allow others a chance and I'll give you a hint for #5. Think of your boxing the compass question and extrapolate from there.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 01-08-2003, 09:08 AM

hey david... what would it take to add a dictionary click button...we all didn't go through all the grades...

dan t
Old 01-08-2003, 06:17 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

c'mon you swabbies, #5 should be a breeze to a deck ape, unless you are all techies. What about you Boats?

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 01-08-2003, 06:26 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Jeff, the answer to your #1 question is neither!!! The Coast Guard Academy was the first to admit women as students.

From Jack's Joint
"PA3 Elizabeth Neely, USCG writing in the Commandant's Bulletin (March 1987) states that "in 1973 landmark legislation allowed women to serve in the regular Coast Guard. The Coast Guard Academy was the first service Academy to open it's doors to women and in 1985 a woman achieved the highest honors of all graduates. Another first among Service Academies."

Coast Guard also had the first woman commanding officer of any service. From Fred's Place here is : "12~1979 - First female Commanding Officer of ANY military vessel ever: LTjg Beverly G. Kelley (now CAPT Kelley), USCGC CAPE NEWAGEN on Maui, HI. [Your Webmaster, QMCM Joe D?Elia, was the XPO]. CAPT Kelley assumed command of the USCGC BOUTWELL (WHEC-719) on 13Jul00."

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 01-09-2003, 07:05 AM

See? I told you. That was the question that was misleading.

Very good, Bill! My info, from an official CG site, places the date quite a bit earlier, but that may be because the first woman admitted didn't graduate:

"Neither of the choices is correct. The Coast Guard Academy was the first to admit a woman cadet, in July 1976."

From 1976 to 1985 would be a L-O-N-G time to be a cadet!

Number 3 is an order to a helmsman, number 4 is an important part of CG history, and number 5 is another word for a commonly used weather term.

Where are those squids? Numbers 3 and 5 are not service-specific.

Jeff