The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2003, 08:31 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Bay Area Chapter Of Psyco Vets MC [ABN]

As some of you already know, James and I will be doing a 10 day recon of Nam the end of APR03. We will be accompanied by Sue [James] and Kath [me]. Does that make them camp followers? I don't think I'll ask them.

We will fly into Saigon [refuse to use it's current name] and spend a couple of days there. From there, to Nha Trang for some beach time, and then up into the Central Highlands. Going to by-pass Phan Rang, home base for the 101st. From Nha Trang to Ban Me Thuot [maybe]. If not, up to Qui Nhon to take Hwy. 19 over Mang Yang Pass to Pleiku [James's ol' stomping ground]. Kick around there for a couple of days, maybe going up to Kontum [Some of my ol' stomping ground]. Probably won't go on up to Dak To [More of my stomping ground]. From the Central Highlands, on up to Hue. Depending on route and mode of transportation, we'll be going through Duc Pho [James and I both there with the 101st]; Chu Lai [I landed there with the 82nd FEB68, and convoyed on up to Danang, over Hai Van Pass, to Hue/Phu Bai]; hopefully check out China Beach; I promised Beau that I would try to take a leak off of the Dong Ha bridge; then up to the enemie's HQ, Hanoi. We'll leave there to head home, if we're not in jail by this time. Of coarse, this is all subject to change. As I already told some of you, I'm going with James at the request of the State Dept. to TRY to keep him from starting any International Incidents

I've started to prepare for the trip. I started a diet on 6JAN03 and, as of Sat, have lost 18lbs.. I don't want to be the [physically] Ugly American. Besides, never know when we might have to chase down some Saigon Cowboy that just ripped us off, run from an old girlfriend that has recognized James, or dodge the White Mice. I've also started to do some calesthenics. Well, actually deep knee bends to prepare for those holes in the floors that they call "Toilets" . Started to brush up on my Vietnamese so I can say more than "Halt," "Drop your weapon," and "Come here." I need to check with a Doc to get my shot record up to date.

This is going to be SOOOOO much fun, now that I've finally made the commitment. I'm looking forward to it. Will talk somemore later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg feb20#01.jpg (93.8 KB, 91 views)
Old 02-10-2003, 09:14 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

You Bay Boys have a good time.. and for our sakes stay out of trouble its been years since I've been in a good bar fight so don't count on me answering the phone when your calling for reinforcements. Just kidding I sure would like to participate in at least one more good one before I hit the old folks home.(lol)
Old 02-10-2003, 11:30 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Looking forward to your report.

Take good notes.
Give a great report fellas.
I'm excited for you.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 04:29 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Love the chapter name

Gee guys wish I could come along, but have another commitment.
I do want psyco vets pictures though. Will post them on the psyco site for all to see.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:07 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Hey Tom, almost got me wishing I was going. Almost. A long weekend fishing for Grouper sounds good to me though - and cheaper. Can't wait to hear your stories and see the pic's. Round eyes on the bridge at Dong Ha - got to be a first.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:10 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default VN

I really have to hand it to you and James. I could never go back to that place.
You have a great time.

Ron
Old 02-11-2003, 06:54 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Psycovets MC, Abn div

Tom
There aint hardly a man I'd rather have to walk my slack, war or peace and the few others are probably reading this now. Getting to know you and some of the others are one of the biggest benefits of the Vietnam War for me
It was the biggest thing in our lives since we were kids, where we really became men--born in the US: Grew up in the Nam--Why wouldn't we want to see it now, to walk among the people without rifles or weapons.
That will show how brave we really are (hint:not very much) Fortunately this time we'll be acompanied by our women, so we may not be spending money as unwisely as before. If you see anyone who looks just like me, point to something else--there may be paternity issues here
We'll be in contact all, be prepared to send Lawyers, guns and money, as need be.

James
Old 02-11-2003, 07:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Admire both of you...

...wishing you both the best in your return...

...I'm sure it will be all, and more then you'd hope for...

...bring back lots of pictures, and none looking out through the cross bar hotel...

...be safe..............

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 02-11-2003, 08:39 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

You guys keep your paperwork close at hand as the current VN Government just loves to fine the tar out of Yank tourists that don?t have all their docs in possession at all times. They don?t call it a fine though, they call it ?punishment? and usually comes out around $20 USD at a time. The infamous telegram comes to your place of lodging and announces, ?Your punishment is? ta dot ta da. But not to worry, they take all major hard currency credit cards but are not so happy to get them useless Dongs as ?punishment? payment. Have fun.

Scamp
Old 02-11-2003, 12:01 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Frisco I think you are on to something

Just musing with DMZ-LT about different chapters.

Andy and Morterdude = MECH INF
Seatjerker = Fighter command
Boats, Seascamp, sne3 = Navy
Flyboy = Aviation
Arty Sgt = Field Artillery
Catman = MLRS
1CAVCCO15MED = MASH
PHO127,Colmurph = SF
Bones, 1bn27,Drifter = Marine
VF24F8C = Marine-Aviation
DMZ-LT = Cav
Drywall, Reeb = Engineers, Construction Bn.
Keith = Chaplin
PACO = INF

I am sure I left some out but this is off the top of my head feel free to add

It Boggles the mind