The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2002, 09:19 AM

Question Korea Defense Service Medal

Any opinions about the "Korea Defense Service Medal" proposed by congress in Senate bill S.999 and House bill H.R. 1935 ?

If passed and signed into law, it will be awarded to all military personel who served in the Republic of Korea from July 28, 1954 to the present and until a later established date.

More information about the proposal at:
http://www.kdvamerica.org
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2002, 07:42 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Is there a precedent? The Cold War medal got knocked down. What about Cuba? Do guys who served on the fence line in Cuba get anything? Any of you guys who served in Germany when it was East and West, you were basically there for a trip wire right? Did you get a specific medal? I think thats about the same purpose our troops may serve in Korea.

I checked out the website you posted. I had no idea of the incidents, KIAs, etc. there.Sounds to me you might have a case.My only real exposure to Korea other than the war was the Pueblo Incident and I think everybody knows what happened to those poor ba$tards.

Can you post a copy of the bill so we can read it?

Thanks,

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 08-12-2002, 09:28 AM

From August 1961 till June 1963 ,troops in Berlin were elgible for the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal and for a period of time ( 1968-1974 I believe is right) troops in Korea were eligible for the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal. Marines and sailers came under the Navy Expeditionary Medal during the Cuban Crisis.
I was in Korea 1958-59 and got recalled to active duty by JFK in 1961 thru 1962 for the crisis in Berlin.
Korea is tough duty and should be considered what it is, not what some politician say's it is.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:47 AM

Default KDSM

Bill, attached is a news release and the House bill lanquage. The senate bill is identical.

I wrote to my Senate and House Rep's asking them to support the bills, but since then I am having second thoughts about the thing.. I personaly would like to get what littlerecognition the award would bring, but I worry that it would distract from the Korean Service Medal issued to every one who served in the Korean War (1950-1953). Civilian America, for the most part, has forgotten those guys and gals. I fear a "Korean Defense Service Medal" might be confused with the "Korean Service Medal" and distract even more from the little recognition Korean War veterans have.

It seems to me that the current trend of giving awards for "this and that" diminishes the value of the original intent of awarding medals for the "Above and Beyond" thing.

But Hey! what do I know? I just wrap the fish!

Seriously, I would like to get some feedback from any of the actual Korean War veterans.

Ken

************************************************** ***************************************

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 28, 2002

Senate OK's Gallegly Korea Defense Service Medal Language

WASHINGTON, D.C.-The U.S. Senate on Thursday approved language championed by Congressman Elton Gallegly (R-Ventura County) that directs the Department of Defense to issue a Korea Defense Service Medal.

Last year, the House passed the Gallegly language, but the Senate approved language that only asked the DOD to consider a medal. The Senate language prevailed in the final bill. But the DOD has not moved to consider the medal, leading Gallegly and his allies in the Senate to push for the stronger language in this year's Senate bill.

With the Senate now on board with the stronger language, it makes it more likely the full Congress will sign on.
Gallegly introduced the Korea Defense Service Medal Act last year, which directs the DOD to award a Korea Defense Service Medal to members of the armed forces who served in Korea after July 1954.

"As we continue to fight terrorism around the world-and recognizing that North Korea continues to be identified as a sponsor of terrorism-it is important to recognize the servicemen and women who served and fought on the Korean Peninsula over the past 48 years," Gallegly said. "I am grateful to my colleagues in the Senate for recognizing that the DOD will not correct this oversight unless Congress specifically directs them to."

More than 40,000 members of the United States armed forces have served on the Korean Peninsula each year since July 1953. Since then, an estimated 1,200 servicemen and women have died as a direct result of their Korean service.

Service medals are given to U.S. military personnel who serve in military operations or campaigns. For example, those who served in Berlin during the Cold War were awarded a service medal. Since the Korean armistice was signed, there have been more than 40,000 breaches of the cease-fire, making it among the more dangerous places to serve.

Gallegly's Korea Defense Service Medal Act currently has 244 cosponsors, 44 on HASC and 19 on HVAC The companion bill introduced in the Senate by Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D-New Mexico) has 64 Senate Sponsor/Cosponsors with 16 on SASC and 13 on SVAC

The language was included in the National Defense Authorization Act of 2003.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Korea Defense Service Medal Act (Introduced in the House)

HR 1935 IH

107th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 1935

To amend title 10, United States Code, to provide for a Korea Defense Service Medal to be issued to members of the Armed Forces who participated in operations in Korea after the end of the Korean War.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

May 22, 2001

Mr. GALLEGLY (for himself, Mr. Spence, Mr. Hinchey, Mr. Weldon of Pennsylvania, Mr. TAYLOR of Mississippi, Mr. McKeon, Ms. McKinney, Mrs. Wilson, Mr. Blagojevich, Mr. Scarborough, Mr. Langevin, Mr. RYUN of Kansas, Ms. Sanchez, Mr. Kirk, Mrs. Tauscher, Mr. Schrock, Mrs. Davis of California, Mr. Simmons, Mr. Berman, Mr. Burton of Indiana, Mr. Davis of Illinois, Mr. Hyde, Mr. Rush, Mr. Souder, Mr. Sanders, Mr. Quinn, Mr. Weiner, Ms. Hart, Mr. Stenholm, Mr. Weller, Mr. Cramer, Mr. Fossella, Mrs. Jones of Ohio, Mr. Kolbe, Mr. Filner, Mr. Schaffer, Mr. Rothman, Mr. English, Mr. Sessions, and Mr. Wolf) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Armed Services

A BILL

To amend title 10, United States Code, to provide for a Korea Defense Service Medal to be issued to members of the Armed Forces who participated in operations in Korea after the end of the Korean War.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Korea Defense Service Medal Act'.

SEC. 2. FINDINGS.

Congress makes the following findings:

(1) More than 40,000 members of the United States Armed Forces have served on the Korean Peninsula each year since the signing of the cease-fire agreement in July 1953 ending the Korean War.

(2) An estimated 1,200 members of the United States Armed Forces died as a direct result of their service in Korea since the cease-fire agreement in July 1953.

SEC. 3. KOREA DEFENSE SERVICE MEDAL.

(a) ARMY- (1) Chapter 357 of title 10, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new section:

`Sec. 3754. Korea Defense Service Medal

`(a) The Secretary of the Army shall issue a campaign medal, to be known as the Korea Defense Service Medal, to each person who while a member of the Army served in the Republic of Korea or the waters adjacent thereto during the KDSM eligibility period and met the service requirements for the award of that medal prescribed under subsection (c).

`(b) In this section, the term `KDSM eligibility period' means the period beginning on July 28, 1954, and ending on such date after the date of the enactment of this section as may be determined by the Secretary of Defense to be appropriate for terminating eligibility for the Korea Defense Service Medal.

`(c) The Secretary of the Army shall prescribe service requirements for eligibility for the Korea Defense Service Medal. Those requirements shall not be more stringent than the service requirements for award of the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for instances in which the award of that medal is authorized.'

(2) The table of sections at the beginning of such chapter is amended by adding at the end the following new item:

`3754. Korea Defense Service Medal.'.
(b) NAVY AND MARINE CORPS- (1) Chapter 567 of title 10, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new section:

`Sec. 6256. Korea Defense Service Medal

`(a) The Secretary of the Navy shall issue a campaign medal, to be known as the Korea Defense Service Medal, to each person who while a member of the Navy or Marine Corps served in the Republic of Korea or the waters adjacent thereto during the KDSM eligibility period and met the service requirements for the award of that medal prescribed under subsection (c).

`(b) In this section, the term `KDSM eligibility period' means the period beginning on July 28, 1954, and ending on such date after the date of the enactment of this section as may be determined by the Secretary of Defense to be appropriate for terminating eligibility for the Korea Defense Service Medal.

`(c) The Secretary of the Navy shall prescribe service requirements for eligibility for the Korea Defense Service Medal. Those requirements shall not be more stringent than the service requirements for award of the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for instances in which the award of that medal is authorized.'.

(2) The table of sections at the beginning of such chapter is amended by adding at the end the following new item:

`6256. Korea Defense Service Medal.'.
(c) AIR FORCE- (1) Chapter 857 of title 10, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new section:

`Sec. 8754. Korea Defense Service Medal

`(a) The Secretary of the Air Force shall issue a campaign medal, to be known as the Korea Defense Service Medal, to each person who while a member of the Air Force served in the Republic of Korea or the waters adjacent thereto during the KDSM eligibility period and met the service requirements for the award of that medal prescribed under subsection (c).

`(c) The Secretary of the Air Force shall prescribe service requirements for eligibility for the Korea Defense Service Medal. Those requirements shall not be more stringent than the service requirements for award of the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for instances in which the award of that medal is authorized.'.

`8754. Korea Defense Service Medal.'.
(d) AWARD FOR SERVICE BEFORE DATE OF ENACTMENT- The Secretary of the military department concerned shall take appropriate steps to provide in a timely manner for the issuance of the Korea Defense Service Medal, upon application therefor, to persons whose eligibility for that medal is by reason of service in the Republic of Korea or the waters adjacent thereto before the date of the enactment of this Act.