The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Enduring Freedom

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2002, 03:43 AM

Default Sound Familiar

Being Australian is a unique quality; it is a state of mind, an attitude that is born of our love for freedom and nurtured by the remarkable land in which we live. We are proud of the fact that ours is an ancient continent, with flora and fauna like no other on Earth. It is a rugged, unforgiving land, but it is - as acknowl-edged in our national anthem - of a beauty, rich and rare. Yet throughout it there is a single enduring spirit that cries freedom.

Our people, like the land, are different, but regardless of race or culture they are drawn to this country by the freedom it offers. It is part of our common heritage, an umbrella under which we all shelter, particularly in these troubled times. When the values, which we uphold, are under threat, it is important to remind ourselves of what it means to be Australian; the responsibilities we bear to preserve the freedom, which we sometimes take for granted. It is equally important that our children properly understand these values, as they bind us together as Australians, irrespective of country of origin or religion.

A government minister has advocated the reintroduction of flag raising ceremonies and the singing of the national anthem in schools, a suggestion that has been strongly endorsed by the Prime Minister. The proposal is seen as a means of promoting civics and the principles of democracy in schools. Already it has its detractors among some republicans and supporters of multiculturalism. Their criticisms, however, are disingenuous. It is not what is on the flag that is important, it is what it symbolises that we support. What has been proposed is a celebration of what unites us, and it should not cause affront to any race or culture. Not only should the proposal be embraced, the practice should never have been removed in the first place. There should be regular discussion in the classroom on Australian values, our responsibilities as a community, civility and respect.

The last two weeks, after the bombings in Bali, have been instructive on what it means to be an Australian. It has united us in grief, but made us more determined not to be cowered by terror and to bring to justice those who have committed this despicable crime against us.

Mr Howard captured this essence in an address to the families of Bali victims. "We may in times of stress and challenge and crisis be as tough as tungsten, but we're also a soft and loving people who will wrap our arms around those who have lost so much and will reach out to those who have suffered so much,"

The spirit of mateship, the pride we have in our nation, especially when our freedoms and values are threatened and the virtues of compassion, tolerance, and courage; It is these very qualities that need to be passed on to new generations. The flag and national anthem reinforce these qualities. Fostering respect for them should always be an automatic progression.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

After serving with many of your mates both in Korea and VN, I would be proud to stand at attention beside you during the singing of your National Anthem. My right hand would cover my heart at the passing of your flag in review.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:57 AM

I know good buddy.

The problem is that we have a certain element in our society which have little respect for a lotta things. The flag and anthem are just two!!!!

It was a pleasure to watch Game #7 yesterday and see the entire stadium rise for your National Anthem. AND I must say that the lady who sang it did a sensational job.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:33 AM

You must be feeling much of what we did after 9/11. My heart goes out to you, and my pride stands with yours. God Bless Australia, God Bless America.
With love.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:00 AM

Just read something that you folks may not relate to; but here goes:-

People are like tea bags - you have to put them in hot water before you know how strong they are!!!!!

Re 9/11
I don't know how your people were able to cope with that. I was watching it happen on TV and I thought that the number to lose their lives would be in the vacinity of 10,000. I know it's something that will haunt me.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:54 AM

Wazza,

I too we be proud to stand with SP4LittleJohn and stand during your National Anthem. Alias to the end.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 08:22 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Wazza...

Getting back to your initial posting of: "Sound familiar",..."It" sure-as-hell-does. In fact, and except for your: "Waltzing Matilda" being quite different than Our Anthem, and your Republicans seeming to be exactly like our Democrats/Liberals, your posting could have just as well been written by A Patriotic American.

Regardless, and even though coming from a lower place (just jokin),...all your words sounded very good to me. I thank you and salute you (GarryOwen).

Neil
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote