The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2005, 09:43 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs down Axing Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome Benefits?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...9benefits.html

Alas, the true colors of a coral snake do show through when that snake has nothing more to lose. The same, unfortunately, can not be said of the suffering veterans who may soon face the benefits chopping block!

Apparently, certain members of government and the VA have pulled out all stops and are now showing what they are really made of (If you go to above web site you will see what I am talking about).

But in all fairness, it must be noted that someone has to pay (in $$$$ as well as blood ) for the planned extortion money that will soon be flowing into Kim Jong Il?s Swiss bank account, into ordnance to re-supply his military, into political self-gifted pork, and to support the half of Mexico?s illegal population that now reside stateside! So what better place to extract this fortune than from our veterans, our social services, our tax payers, and our poor and elderly?

?Hell, maybe some day soon they will erect statues to a few select American politicos in places like Hanoi, Pyongyang, Mexico City, Tehran, Peking and at the VA??

VERITAS
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2005, 11:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Roger that!

While those who have slipped under, crawled through, climbed over, floated over, or what ever, are given the red carpet treatment at the expense of the rug being pulled out from under the Veteran.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 09-19-2005, 02:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Not to be contrary, but a reading of the article posted does not suggest that there is to be any "axing" of PTSD benefits. What it does say (whether factual or not) is that there is to be an audit of the PTSD cases. Whether that is or will end up being reasonable or not, may be the question?

Wouldn't those Vets legitimately entitled to PTSD VA disability welcome an audit of the cases, if for no other reason than to help ensure their OWN continued benefits being paid, and no part of the funds going to anyone not deserving?

Where I come from, $2,299 monthly is a LOT of money. In fact, that amount is almost 3 times what I can expect to receive from Social Security at retirement in less than 3 years from now.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

No, rather it will be another created job for some nitwit of a federal employee who more than likely has never spent a day in uniform. They will start with the 100 % PTSD disabled, then when they can't save enough money they will lower the claim amount and continue to lower it until they batter the system that allows PTSD claims to be non existent.
How much will this audit cost? Surely it's funding will come at the cost of Veteran's care. While more good could be done while helping thouse of us with PTSD, money will be wasted to disprove claims. How about fireing those who had anything to do with a claim that is disproved? If the Vet was wrong so were the people who helped him with the claim. Get rid of a few of the pill pushing doctors who pencil whip the paperwork.
This situation really pisses me the F**k off!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 09-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Robert J Ryan

I'm rated 50% for PTSD. I am 100% unemployability but due to Type II diabetes. I don't understand all the mumbo jumbo by the VA officials other then to cause hardship on Veterans. I think this stinks, and I smell the BUSH administration all over this.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Well... any discussion of this topic tends to become overheated immediately. However, as to the possibility/probability for "some nitwit of a federal employee" becoming involved in the decision making process on the cases, that IS rather high. There are remedies for their misconduct... and I would certainly concur on the matter of "pill pushing Doctors who pencil whip the paperwork..." But, that is an entirely different subject.

I do recognize that this issue is disputable, but the Bush administration has been trying its best to increase VA budget across the board, and is doubtless among the foremost in demonstrating compassion for Veterans by deeds as well as by words.

As close as I am able to get to witnessing any part of this debate is to see what is posted here on PF, and to watch Congressional hearings which deal with the matter. My own VA medical rating is so far down the ranks I'd be lucky to get an autopsy if I died as a wino in a gutter. It is Congress who is responsible for approving the national budget. The President receives monetary recommendations from the VA and those are vetted by OMB etc., before they ever appear on a proposed budget for vote in Congress.

From what I have been able to determine, the Bush administration has accomplished some rather significant gains for all VA Vets up to now. When I see Congress in action, what I must conclude is that they are ducking and hiding most of the time, scapegoating anyone but themselves. They get plenty of mail and anger from Veterans, but they actually DO precious little about it.

In the end, I simply came to a different conclusion after having read the article that began this thread. I did not see any outright evidence that there is going to be any "axing" of PTSD benefits being paid out.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:00 AM

Bluehawk, I apologize for venting my frustrations. This subject is in fact a very touchy one for me. Could be that I finally found justification for why I am the way I am. I sure don't want anyone to tell me now that I haven't earned my dues. I still struggle on a day by day basis to fit into what is deemed the "norm." With the help of a few doctors, counselors and my fellow veterans, I have learned to cope, yet I am far from cured. I worry that my life line or any thing I see as a threat to it will be severed.
Granted I have read much more into the situation then has been presented. With some more education on the subject at hand, I will come to a better understanding.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:14 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

FOR THE RECORD FRIENDS -

I am sure that more than one member of this forum suffers from Post Traumatic Stress, but one definitely comes to mind, and he sure as Hell has it!

Shorty Estabrook, who made a career out of the Army, was captured in 1950 in the Pusan Pocket. He spent the next 37 months as, first a guest of the North Koreans and then the Chinese! (The Tiger Death March and Camp)

I have seen some captured film that showed elements of the 24th. Division shortly after they were captured, and all were robust, proud and American to the core. However, those repatriated after the conflict, were lucky in many cases to near 100 lbs. Sick, starving, disease ridden, and with 59% of their original numbers dead, if any of these men did not have a severe case Post Traumatic Stress, it would have been a miracle, and this kind of trauma just don't go away!!!!

And yet, if I read it right, the VA would re-evaluate the claims of these brave men. Granted, what I read did not say dismiss their claims, but it is a cute first step in the wrong direction!

There are many things in this nation that we should be re-evaluating, especially within some segments of the political arena, but our nation at times, opts to cut into what remains of the lean in order to continue to feed the pork!

"Sparrowhawk, you have absolutely nothing to apologize for!"

VERITAS
Old 09-20-2005, 09:39 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default not a popular opinion

I have to come down on Bluehawk?s side on this one, guess it?s all those years of being in law enforcement. Matter of fact the first time I ever heard the letters PTSD was in a court room where a guy said the reason he stabbed his girlfriend between the legs a half dozen times was because he though she was a ?gook? coming thru the wire?. I remember the case very well and remember this guy drove a bus at Cam Rahn.

Two guys I went to high school with got busted for drugs and were given a choice between jail and enlisting, they both enlisted, spent their time on the other side of the pond getting high and were getting 100% by 1970.

We have to admit some veterans are and have been milking the system for decades. I have an in-law who collected Welfare most of her adult live. A couple of years ago they changed our welfare laws so she told the State she was an alcoholic and now collects a disability because she says she's a boozer. I think, I hope it?s a minority of vets who are faking it but to say it isn?t a problem is like saying everyone of welfare deserves it. No offense intended to anyone on this site.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 09-20-2005, 10:44 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

QUOTE ANDY: "We have to admit some veterans are and have been milking the system for decades."

Could not agree more Andy, but no matter what arena one deals in, there is always some abuse (politics and the bureaucracy in general being great examples)!

However, and it must be duly noted that - One (or even a few) bad apples, even within the veterans community, does not corrupt the whole barrel!

RICK