The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2004, 11:06 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Best and worst mess halls

The best mess hall I was ever in was an Air Force mess hall in Cam Rhan Bay. You got a tray and walked by this long line of food and ordered what you wanted, Then went to a table and took as long as you wanted to eat? I was so confuzed. Isn't the Airforce part of our military? That mess hall was way to nice.

The worst mess hall, wasn't really a mess hall.
While walking through a village we came upon this old lady cooking a huge black pot of food? There was rice, some green stuff and a head of some small animal with big teeth? I only had one plate and no tip. I can still taste that stuff, kinda like a old dirty sock with bad milk on it.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2004, 05:35 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

Flyboys definately had #1 mess-halls.Always heard the Navy ate well,also?

Peace,Griz
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 07:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

The best would be the AF mess hall at Altus, OK and the worst would be the transit mess hall in Damman Saudi Arabia. Not sure what kind of meat they were trying to serve us but it was pink. Not pink like medium, pink in a funny way, like something gone bad.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 07-12-2004, 12:37 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default cat

the pink was most likely from Bleach, Just a touch of bleach (spray bottle) on a stake and looks like new again. As long as the eater cooks it to 160 degrees no problem.

Ron
Old 07-12-2004, 05:00 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

The best chow hall? Any given one in the AF, with the lone exception of Chanute AFB. That was the most gawd-awful excuse for a chow hall that ever existed. I once got soup with fingernail clippings; they put cooking oil instead of syrup on the pancakes (a sure-fire cure for constipation); hamburgers, chared on the outside and still frozen on the inside; scrambled eggs with congealed lard (man, I'm making myself sick just remembering). But that was certainly the odd case. Our chow hall at Norton AFB won several awards for the quality of food. We also had wall-to-wall carpeting, piped in music, and hired locals to clean up after us (we didn't even have to bring up the plates when we finished). War is hell!

Then there was the Point Magu Naval Air Station (Oxnard, CA) chow hall. I swear the ACLU once tried to shut it down on the grounds of cruel and unusual punishment. The only good thing about it was that we only had to put up with it for a few days. If it had been longer we would've died of malnutrition. And what's with the Navy and their beans?
Old 07-12-2004, 03:20 PM

Midnight chow at Dover, AFB rocked! Everything was still fresh for breakfast not sitting under heat lamps for 4 hours. Omlets fixed to order! Make mine a ham, green peppers and cheese, please! Hit there right after roll call for the grave shift and later after I switched to swings we would go there just before we'd go out on the town...Rehobeth Beach, before the gays moved in.

About the only bad meal were the steaks, or what they tried to pass off as steaks. I swear they came from the General's old shoes!
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 07-12-2004, 06:17 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

The Navy chow on the USS Black was top notch except for the green eggs, we had fresh eggs sort of but in every layer of eggs 2 or three would be bad easy to spot they were green the cooks just scraped them off and threw another were it was. the SOS was the best in the Navy ground round instead of chipped beef.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:49 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

all army food i ever had was bad..different degrees of piss poor..only steak i ever had in the army was on exit from oakland after nam at 3 am in the morning..it was good. only time i remember real eggs in nam was after we got back from 2 months in cambodia.

larry
Old 07-12-2004, 10:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Noble Army Hospital 1966-1968

It had everything I heard of for breakfast every day. The food was so good people came from all over Ftl McClellan to eat there. Probably the reason was the head cook had a restaurant in downtown Anniston, Alabama. I used to watch excess trays of food getting loaded into a civilian van. I fugured if I complained the guy would be taken away and we would get worse food so what the hell.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

The best was the Navy Seabee mess hall at FSB Boyd. The Seabees were working a quarry there and they let us grunts eat at their mess hall. It was even better then the AF mess hall at Bien Hoa AFB.

The worst was our Battalion Mess at Camp Evans. After eating there a couple of times and getting dysentery every time ( was fine before I ate there ) I avoided it like the plague. I would rather eat C-rats ham & mothers then go there.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee