The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2004, 06:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

We drove down to Danang in a convoy and for some reason we were able to eat at an air force base. The food was like going through a bufet at a nice resturant. We usually ate c-rats. We were still covered in dirt and sweat when we decieded to go to the ajoining rest room with plumbing and flush toilets etc. An Air Force guy came into the rest room to use the facilities and mentioned to us that, THIS PLACE SUCKS. We all looked at each other and got a good laugh for a long time after that.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2004, 06:06 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

DL,

Yeah, I forgot about midnight chow. I used to work mainly swing shift with no breaks so it was good to be able to have a hot post-shift meal. Of course the only stipulation was that you had to be in uniform. I remember seeing guys, who lived in the barracks not 100 yards away, wearing civies and complaining to me that they couldn't get any food and wanting me to go up with a plate and get some for them. I told them to just get into a uni and come back, but they wouldn't, so they went hungry. Idiots! One night I was actually threatened with physical violence because I refused to go up for a plate for 4 guys to share, but the chow hall NCOIC ordered them out. They waited for me out front but the guy let me out the back and I took the Great Polar Route back to the barracks. I had to...after all, I didn't want to have to hurt them. ;-)
Old 07-13-2004, 06:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

Because we traveled around a lot, we were able to eat at all the services mess halls once in a while. Heres how I would rank them:
1. Air Force
2. Navy
3. sea be's
10. Army/Marines
Old 07-13-2004, 06:37 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

After 2 and a half months of eating C's and almost daily contact we came in from Lam Son 719 to Dong Ha and they gave us a steak we cooked ourselfs on a big 55 gal drum , cut in half. Best Steak I ever ate. Also when we stood down at Da Nang i ate at a Navy Officers Club that was nicer than anything I had ever been to before.Was put in the hospital for a couple of days in Germany with food poisoning after eating at a mess hall during gunnery at Graf.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:10 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Jewish Mess Hall

On Ft. Devens the Jewish chapel also had a Kitchen and small mess hall for the Jews. Boy that Kosher food was good. I understand all the forts had a little Jewish mess hall somewhere on post.

Keith
Old 07-14-2004, 03:51 PM

The best has to be the Navy mess hall at Treasure Island in the sixties. Excellent food ! Also the Army mess hall at Sukiran Okinawa was good as well .

The worst were several tent/hootch mess halls in the Nam . Powdered eggs, and canned bacon . Memorable !
Old 07-14-2004, 04:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

I wonder if that is the same as Torie(sp) Station on Okinawa the best chow hall I ever went to in the military. The worst was at Camp DelMar (on MCB Camp Pendleton) SchCo,SchBn. it was closed down by the Navy Health Dept on the base.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:43 AM
Robert J Ryan

Best Mess Hall had to be the on at Ton Son Nhut AFB, can't remember where it was on the AB but I remember being in an airconditined mess hall, with a spred of cold cuts that would match any deli dept. They had rye bread also. The worst Mess Hall had to be the one at the Repl at Long Binh.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:19 PM

Hey Ron,

I spent way to much time in CRB, but there chow was good, but alot of time I took off to the AF Base across from the runways and ate there, Wasnt to bad, but the best ( and at the time you had to buy it ) was at the Army Base where everyone checked in and they had a Commisarry that sold the BEST steak dinner for less than a buck. The Convolensecent Center.

BTW, at the Air Force side of CRB, you can really get a Sauna and a GOOD rub down 9 kNOW WHAT i MEAN vERN).

CRB had way to much Roast Beef and way to Many Barracks, and way to may Hangars, for the war going on.

From what I hear the Vietnamese took the bases over and had to lower all the Toilets. Wonder if Pho127 knows that.

Monkey meat also from them critters crawling across the power lines.

enough.......