The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2004, 06:17 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Healing?

The Moving Wall was here in town last week.My buddy John from my PTSD group and I went together.We hugged and cried and wondered,"So..when does the healing begin?"

It has,I guess.Just don`t feel that way.

Peace,Griz
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2004, 07:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Griz....baby steps brother!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 07-12-2004, 10:03 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

It did then.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Unhappy

Been to the Wall twice , by myself , and both times ended up a sobbing mess. Going back in 05 with Tiny to try again. Peace , Griz
Old 07-13-2004, 12:26 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Been to the Wall and Moving Wall way too many times. Last time in DC will probably be my last and the Moving Wall at Andy's with Doc was enough for me. I think, for me, at the begining the Wall was the start of healing.....now it sets me too far back. Love the place, but I'm done with it. Way to painful anymore.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 07-13-2004, 02:21 PM

It comes when you believe that this life is but a blink of eternity, and that there is a just and all seeing God who has ordained a day of justice when everything will be put right, when the humble and forgotten will be acknowleged, and when the proud will be brought low. So hang in there my friend and take comfort.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:47 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default the wall

I got to the wall in DC about 5:30 in the morning, I was the only one there, I looked up some buddies in there book and walked down that long path to pannel 22E, I was ok until I touched one of the names. It was like I touched him. I jerked back and walked over to the statues, The first person showed up around 6:15 and I left.
I have walked in the jungel at night but that was easy compaired to the wall.
I think---- if you belive that people have souls and life after death and all that, then you must belive that the wall is more for those souls on the wall than it is for the living people that vist. And if that is the case, then the vist is worth it, For them.

Ron
Old 07-13-2004, 04:16 PM

I've been to the Wall in DC on two occasions. The first time I barely got down the path before tears started to flow. The enormity of all those names carved into each panel was too overwhelming for me and I wasn't directly involved in that war. The second time was with my Father and Uncle who both served in Korea and Viet Nam and my uncle being a former POW from WWII. They had very similar reactions to mine and yours combined. They weren't there (as far as I know) but they knew people who were and I think it helped my uncle deal with his own war to. It was easier for me to go that time because I was more concerned about each of them and I was paying more attention to them...that was until I saw the vendor set up on the street between the Wall and the Lincoln Memorial. He had prints of vets &/or families visiting the wall and reaching out to touch it while imposed into the wall as a reflection was their fallen soldier that they came to find. It all felt so true. Like the wall is alive with each soul and every memory.
The next time I go it will be with my husband. He's never been to DC and I want him to see the Wall. I know he will feel the same way I do.

Griz, I don't know when the healing will begin but it may have already started in some subtle way. Just the fact that you were able to go and see the moving wall is a major step. Many may never be able to do that because it is too painful.

Like Trav said, Baby Steps.

All I have to do is look at these postings and I can see that you are not going through this alone. For that I am grateful. Each of you have my support and prayers.
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 07-13-2004, 05:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Griz :

call or email me anytime. everyone has a different way. talking to my platoon-mates helps me more than all the psych wards, medications, shrinks, how to books, or anything else...just keep trying and praying and know u are not alone..ever.

love u brother,

larry