The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2006, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Words

Recently there have been certain words found on the site that are explicative that require being deleted or edited. Although those words have been upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court (U.S. Supreme Court, COHEN v. CALIFORNIA, 403 U.S. 15, 1971) they have also been declared by the court as being "offensive" and the court declared that the use of those words should NOT be used in any occurrence that they might be found or heard by children in reference to George Carlin using those words at an awards ceremony on public television during "prime time" viewing hours.
Please refrain from the use those words on something that I'm proud to show off to my grandchildren. When found I WILL either edit or delete them unless David fires me. I?m sure that you know which words I am referring to.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2006, 07:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Maybe you better give us a list so we know all of them you will delete. Smacks a little bit like censorship to me....but I can live with what the group decides.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:59 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Stick
This could be a tough one.....Things that offend one person might not offend another. Purposely misspelled words which closely resemble the word on the U.S. Supreme Court list (Being narrow minded, I can only think of 2) falls in what catagory? I gotta agree with Paco on this one.
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 05-10-2006, 07:59 AM

Those aren't the ones with the colorful metaphors are they? I agree with you - clean it up. As I preach at home to my entire family - wife included - your vocabulary is basis on how people grade your education. My kids no I don't tolerate any abusive verbiage when there are other avenues to express ones feelings and get the point across.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 05-10-2006, 08:21 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default What

Paco and bOOger said!.................

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Robert J Ryan

Oh oh starting to sound like a George Carlin routine.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

The Supreme Court ruled that it had no intentions on infringing on First Amendment rights nor should any one else. The ruling had to do with language being spoken or written over public airways and was a binding ruling on those that were under the jurisdiction of the Federal Communications Commission, FCC. What the court did rule on was on language that was offensive to the ears of children and language that you wouldn't want to hear coming out of the mouth of children. Somebody posted recently about "remember when," and I recall mouths being washed out with ninety-nine and forty four one hundredths percent pure Ivory soap. F*ck, G-_ Damn are two that stand out. 'Bout the only thing that I can tell that's offensive that I can't help doing is, on occasion I might fart but I do try to not get any more offensive than that and I'll warn you if a breeze is going to carry it in your direction and I bet that you just might pass some gas yourself before today is over with. Good common sense ought to preach what's right.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J Ryan Oh oh starting to sound like a George Carlin routine.
Bob, it was the George Carlin routine that the Supreme Court made its ruling on and found the radio station at fault and in violation of FCC rules and subject to loss of their broadcasting permit for broadcasting that routine over public airways. The F--- word that Carlin said in that routine was found to be a legitimate word but offensive none the less.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:24 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Gotta disagree with you Stick, and with you, Boats. The banner on this site says:

We are Patriots. We are the men and women who have been privileged to protect the heritage of liberty for all people to cherish as their own.

Which means we are veterans, many of whom have faced the horrors of combat. Being vets, we have all shared a cameraderie that the average citizen will never know. Part of that is the patois we all spoke during, and since, our service, which acts as a further bond making us laugh about the good times, and weep about the bad.

To say that we shouldn't speak to each other in that manner smacks, indeed screams, of censorship, a violoation of one of our most basic rights found in the Constitution. In fact, our Founding Fathers deemed it so important, they made it the FIRST Amendement.

Stick, if you feel these threads need such censorship before your grandchildren read them, then print them out and censor them yourself.

Boats, don't judge a book by its cover or the language of its content. While I certainly am not the most eloquent of speakers, I feel that communicating the point is more important than the exactitude of the method of communication. And in many cases, its more fun! I have a Liberal Arts degree with a minor in English (which means I can say, "Would you care for french-fries with your hamburger?" rather than, "Ya want some fries wid dat?"

Or, to put this in a shorter version: Up with Free Speach! Down with Censorship!
Old 05-11-2006, 04:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Doc
Couldn't have said it better myself......People doing the sensoring gain too much control while everyone else looses interest. There's a lot of innuendos (Italian suppository) floating around here that are far more offensive then the the "F" bomb, and you guys need to cut that $hit out.
Bob K

God bless the ACLU