Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2002, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Military Kids

David

Posted: 2001-08-22 07:16
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone here grow up in a military family besides me?

xgrunt

Posted: 2001-08-23 21:15
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was born at Ft. Bragg, N.C. Moved to Ft Benning[6yrs] 1 year TDY in Birmingham Al then 3 years at NATO ,Oslo Norway. Then 2 years at Ft Huachuca[sp] Arizona. I loved every second of it.xgrunt

David

Posted: 2001-08-23 22:06
I'm glad I am not the only one who grew up military here. I was beginning to wonder It is funny now to talk to civilians and tell them I was in 10 high schools, moved every 2 years, and never knew anyone longer then 4 years in my life ( until recently ). They find it hard to believe but such is life in a military family

chilidog

Posted: 2001-08-23 22:33
That's a lot of moving. That's why I got out of big-time construction. We were all like a big band of gypseys.

chilidog

xgrunt

Posted: 2001-08-24 21:06
Truthfully, I really enjoyed moving. There was one thing for sure though, with your moving and all your friends moving, you either learned to make friends fast or you became a loner. It was a isolated world though especially when I was growing up since the military was already intergrated, I didn't understand what the hassle was in the civilian schools. I lived in Birmingham during the Bull Conner marchs and it totally freaked me out. One other big difference was watching the Sat morning parade from the stands as a dependent and then yrs later having to march in them hung over from Friday nite. I definately lost my enthusiasim for parades on active duty. Also when I came home from Norway after 3 years I was about 9 months ahead of my classmates in my studies.

exlrrp

Posted: 2001-08-25 10:35
Chili
(this is David E, right?)
Didn't know you were in bigtime const--have been in const all my career--the first 10 as a welder/foreman in major construction (power plants, pipelines, oilfields, offshore) in South America, Saudi Arabia, Alaska and the Gulf States--TX, LA,MS,AL. I also worked as an oilfield diver. I enjoyed traveling and moving around--one thing the military did was get me outta the hood and worldwide--until I got married and my son was born (1981) and I wanted to stick around for his childhood. Ive been a building contractor (residential, primarily remodels, repairs and earthquake retrofit) here in CA since 1980
Also didn't know you were in Baton Rouge--You know I cruz LA every year for the Jazz Fest and then to Breaux Bridge for the Crawdad Fest--last year tried flyin in n out of Baton Rouge for the first time n it was cool-stayed one night in the Super 8 on the west side of the river.
I worked out of all the places on the Louisiana Coast in 2 years--Venice, Morgan City, Port of new Iberia, Lake Charles--fell in love with the Cajun?Zydeco music, now I go back every year--lets get together when I go next spring
What do you do in construction?

James

chilidog

Posted: 2001-08-25 11:45
Yeah James, this is me. I live about 10 miles from Ryan (Baton Rouge) airport. I hired on at the papermill about 11 years ago and have been in Baton Rouge since. I am originally from about 40 miles north of Sgt Tropo over there in Houston. That's where I started out with Brown & Root. I worked for them about 15 years. I never left the country, but I made several states. I found a stationary job (like you) for family. I was in what they called the Building Dept. We handled rebar, carpentery, concrete, brick & block masons...stuff like that. I started out on refinery jobs, and ended up in papermill construction. I was out your way once. Between B&R jobs, I worked on a mine job in Trona. That's east of Ridgecrest on the other side of the Naval Weapons Center base. I had a great time out there. The desert wasn't anything like what this "piney-woods" boy was expecting.

Give me a holler the next time you are over this way. We'll go have some Community Coffee.

chilidog
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links