The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Family

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2002, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Sgt Andres Castillo Sivila (07-01-09--12-26-01)

Beau

Registered to :Aug 29, 2001
Posted 31-12-2001 at 18:53
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sgt, WWII, U.S. Army, Purple Heart, Pacific Theater (sniper bullet in the left shoulder); Filipino American; enlisted at San Jose, 1941 and discharged in 1945.

The funeral that I thought was to be held for my step father on saturday was held today. The man that raised me (with some fights and fury in the environment) until the age of 15, was a very significant event for me. In www.HistoryChannel.com I stated something about this man that was there to help me learn how to ride my bike and gave me haircuts, etc., so I won't go into repeat that kind of detail.

I was at my proper place in the back of the Catholic Church in San Jose, CA. today --- back where I could shut my eyes and recall my boyhood with Andy and ignore the stand up sit down rituals that I have always disliked. My half brother Mike looked pretty "Ok" with it all. My other half brothers --- Alfredo Vea Jr. and Dennis Vea, were, thankfully, not in attendance. Dennis is on one of his "vacations" and perhaps Alfred was in fact busy at work, or perhaps he did not want to be there at the same time as me. He did attend the Rosary the night before.

At the cemetary that was about 5 miles away from the church, I was surprised to see these old WWII Filipino Veterans and members of the Foreign Legion as a "soldiers" in the Honor Guard --- equipped with M1s for firing the traditional volleys at the correct moment in the funeral.

At the end of the ceremony I found that a few of those old men were Philipine Scouts, a few were regular U.S. Army and a few had been at Bataan (Death March). I also saw one slightly younger member who had "Vietnam" on his hat. I did quickly mention that I had served in I Corps (near the DMZ on the Cua Viet River and points south, down to DaNang) but that mentioning was quick. The "Chaplain" did seem interested in whether I was a member, to which I replied no, and indicated no interest. He handed me his Foreign Legion card anyway.

I was even more surprised to see four U.S. active duty Army soldiers in attendance --- two later served in the funeral by folding up the American flag that was placed upon Andy's grave --- very sharp military moves --- and handing the triangular flag to Andy's widow. Thank you Soldiers.

We had a pretty fine Chinese buffet, and it was a great time to talk with the Great and apparently Unconquerable Alfredo's ex-girl friend from decades past --- "lord" did we talk. But the best talking was when my brother Mike was giving the Eulogy --- his voice cracked a bit (Mike is a big city Police Officer). I stood near but out of Mike's line of sight. After Mike finished, I place my hand on his should and asked if I could say something. Since I looked pretty damn spiffy in my Docker Slacks, black shirt with paisley tie, a Herringbone tweed jacket and tinted glasses --- I think I spoke rather eloquently: Mike said "thanks Beau" and hugged me.

Kinda had quite a number of older significant relatives --- even my former Legal Guardian "H.B." Keller --- die in the last 4 years or so, but Andy's death --- the man who was in the house from my age of 3 to age 15 --- his death seemed to really announce to me, that a significant part of my life has died and I too am approaching my own end, not really that long from now.

Thanks,
Siempre fiel, Solado de las Aguas Cafe, Beau

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile www Qoute
Keith_Hixson

Registered to :Aug 23, 2001
Posted 31-12-2001 at 20:58
Well written tribute!
When our parents die it reminds us that we are just that much closer to death. Live well and remember how you live is important. All veterans deserve to be honored.

Thanks for the tribute!

My Sympathy goes out to you and your family.

Keith

Profile Email Qoute
Sp4LittleJohn

Registered to :Aug 22, 2001
Posted 31-12-2001 at 21:34
Hurts Beau, really hurts. You have honored him. Sorry to hear about your loss.
-----------------
Pain is only temporary. Pride is forever.

Profile Email Qoute
sn-e3

Registered to :Aug 26, 2001
Posted 31-12-2001 at 21:56
Beau my condolances my friend. each day that passes we loose more and more of our fathers mothers aunts and uncles each loss is a great one for they are the ones who taught us and loved us they are to be missed pretty soon it will be cousins and brothers and sisters as we continue our march throew life. your post is a fitting tribute to one of our fallen warriors i salute him and you for posting thank you for sharing your sorrows your friend chris

Profile Email Qoute
Beau

Registered to :Aug 29, 2001
Posted 01-01-2002 at 13:21
Thanks to all here --- you too are by history, family, in a sense. As in all families, we shared the same roof for awhile but in different rooms and crossed some of the same thresholds together: peace be "unto" you.

I will print out a copy of this post and your comments, as well as relay them to my bro Mike whose full father went to the great Fiesta in the sky, perhaps to be reunited with his relatives and the men he fought with in WWII.

I used to pick on Mike, more out of imitating meaner older brothers. Many years ago I explained to him by mail that I never felt that meanness. I rec'd today by e-mail, a Web posting on Andy's death --- this death hopefully provides a means to get "reacquainted" with Mike --- a bit more.

There were years and years that I was really his "Big Brother" --- we shared the same room after he had gotten out of the crib, and I believe Police Officer Mike had the top bunk: can anyone really capture the daliness of a boyhood's mini-eternities ? No --- but the impressions remain of he tagging along with me in many adventures. How many times did we jump over a neighbor's fence to retrieve a kick ball? How many bike rides and runnings in and out of the house to drink out of the faucet ? How many stops did our Greyhound bus make during those long trips to visit Mo's parents in Phoenix, AZ. How many car rides in Andy's Olds 88 ?

Later on in life, because of more idiotitic family downfalls, we ended up sharing the same bedroom in this low income housing project --- very embarrassing to live there. But, I was the brother who made his dinners for him while Mo went out and cleaned up some Laundramat. Perhaps Mike does not remember those significant boyhood days where not even his father Andres knew about, or could enter. I think in some ways brotherhood is a more important connection than those between parent and child. I think in some ways, the pure feelings that I have for my daughter were first felt for my bro Mike.

It was right Andy C. Sivila, that you should've had your moments with your son. But, and nobody in our family will remember it and it has gone unnoticed --- he was my brother; we shared bunk beds and hill hikes in one form of forever --- I cooked many of Mike's dinners in that project during my high school years ---when you were out of the picture. I was the one who looked to protect him when we were out and about on our bikes in town --- mixing with other youngsters. I was the one who was with Mike when our mother and her then low life husband Bob Terry, failed to meet us at an appointed time --- I broke the son to mother obligation and told Mike "let's go" --- and he did follow me away from the appointed place and witnessed an end to a contract.

Andres --- your full son Mike was and is the best of us boys. If you can --- keep him safe while he is doing his big city Police Officers job.

Beau

Profile www Qoute
phuloi

Registered to :Aug 24, 2001
Posted 01-01-2002 at 15:56
Beau,Beautiful words...solemn tribute..and the days continue to pass..Mogley is a fortunate little girl to have a Daddy such as you..God bless you both...Griz

Profile www Qoute
MORTARDUDE

Registered to :Aug 23, 2001
Posted 01-01-2002 at 22:13
May the Lord comfort you and your family in this time of loss.

Profile Email www Qoute
arrow

Registered to :Aug 21, 2001
Posted 02-01-2002 at 02:53
Beau thank you for allowing us a glimpse of this part of your life it opened my eyes to the path you have traveled. It is not an easy path when a child has to carry the rucksack of an adult. May comfort and peace be with you and yours. arrow..

Profile Qoute
DMZ-LT

Registered to :Aug 27, 2001
Posted 02-01-2002 at 08:19
Thanks for sharing Beau. You always have written well. Sorry for your loss. We are all moving to the front of the train faster than we would like. I've been an orphan for three years now. When the 80 yearold friends helped bury my Dad they put on their uniforms from WWII - rows and rows of ribbons, CIB, Ranger tabs, jump wings etc. Made me proud to be amoung my Dads friends. Tell your daughter about some of the good times with him and give your self a hug from me, we are still under the same stars bro.

Profile Qoute
Drywall

Registered to :Aug 22, 2001
Posted 02-01-2002 at 01:26
Beau, sorry for your loss. I too have been an orphan for eight years. It makes you realize that we are all only mortal and there may be more behind than ahead of us.
God bless you and yours.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links