Old 09-17-2003, 05:01 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Marines visit Biblical city

Marines visit Biblical city
Submitted by: Marine Forces Reserve
Story Identification Number: 200391184928
Story by Cpl. Damian McGee

BABYLON, Iraq(Sept. 11, 2003) -- Bringing down the regime of Saddam Hussein was the primary mission of all U.S. service members positioned in and around Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom. However, a group of Marines took some extra time before completing their tour in southwest Asia to enjoy one of Saddam's contributions to the preservation of Iraqi culture.

Marine's from Company K, 3rd Battalion, 23rd Marines out of Memphis, Tennessee and 4th Civil Affairs Group of Washington D.C. took a tour of an ancient city whose history dates back to biblical days.

"This was one of the more meaningful parts of my entire time here," said Oxford, Miss. native Cpl. Paul D. Garner, a machine gunner with 3rd Battalion, 23rd Marines. "?It's amazing how much history is here. It felt good to be able to see a part of this country not as a war zone, but as a place of holiness and age-old purpose."

The city, originally constructed in 628 B.C., and repaired under Saddam's regime in 1976, caused mixed feelings among the Marines, as well as the Iraqi translator who accompanied the Marines on the tour.

"It's nice to be able to see this place and know what it really looked like back then," said Ali, an Iraqi translator who took the tour with the Marines. "The only problem is that if you want to show something the way it was you should not add more to it. If these are ruins then let them stay ruined... that is part of the history."

The tour, which took nearly two hours, went over the historical aspects of the construction, as well as the artwork still visible on the side of the walls.

"The things we've seen here are absolutely amazing to say the least," Garner said. "By looking at the art and construction here you can only imagine how intelligent, or inspired these people had to be when they built this place."

The Marines and translator were not the only ones excited about the experience. The tour guide, a native of Iraq, was also happy the Marines were able to take part in Iraq's cultural heritage.

"I'm glad the Americans are coming to see this," said the Iraqi tour guide who said she'd been doing tours for ten years. "I've been doing these tours for a long time and I just now get to show Americans this holy land. It's good because I think it will explain a lot of the culture they're seeing here."

Saddam's regime and the people still trying to harm Americans are a small group of people in our country. Most of the people here are very nice and very religious, and it goes back to the things they're seeing here."

The tour was made possible by 4th CAG and was a great way for the Marines to get away from the hectic life they'd lived for nearly a year now.

"It's important for Marines to get out and do things that involve the community and the local people," said Gunnery Sgt. Heidi Schuerger, staff non-commissioned officer in charge, 4th CAG. "I hope this tour helped them to realize how rich this country's history is, and how these people are just that... people."

While the tour of babylon has been given for years, it is the first time Americans have been able to take part in it. To date, thousands of American service members have visited the historic location and toured the grounds.
Photo by: Cpl. Damian McGee

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links