Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2005, 04:22 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Father recalls son's sacrifice after death in war in Iraq

Father recalls son's sacrifice after death in war in Iraq

By FRANK CURRERI
REVIEW-JOURNAL

As memorial services for Army Pfc. Daniel Guastaferro came to a close Sunday, his father walked toward his casket, stood upright and raised his right hand beside his temple in salute.

Then, Frank Guastaferro bent over and kissed his son's casket.

"Son, the world is a better place for your sacrifice, and I am so proud of you," the Vietnam War veteran stated earlier in a tribute read to more than 150 mourners.

Family and friends gathered at Palm Mortuary to honor and say goodbye to the local soldier, who died in Iraq earlier this month.

They eulogized Daniel Guastaferro, 27, as a shy and compassionate man determined to make the world a better place.

"His goal was to make life safer ... not only for us, but our children for generations to come," said Jack Wang, a friend of the fallen Special Forces machine-gunner.

He died Jan. 7 when the vehicle he was in ran off the road and plunged into a canal in Ramadi, 60 miles west of Baghdad. The former Cimarron-Memorial High School student was the first U.S. serviceman from Nevada to die in the Iraq war this year.

Daniel Guastaferro was passionate about customizing cars, and he enjoyed camping, bowling and fishing, family members said.

He also had a soft spot for animals.

"He avoided pet stores because he couldn't bear to see animals without homes," Christine Suarez, his sister, said in a tribute read aloud by Army Chaplain James Ellison.

"He was so concerned that if something happened to him, we would think him selfish. Without my brother, I can only say, `Remember when?' in my heart. Even our arguments, I will always cherish," she said in the tribute.

The 50-minute military service by members of the Nevada National Guard included the traditional playing of "Amazing Grace" on bagpipes and an honor guard firing three gunshots into the air.

Near the end of the service, military personnel handed Frank Guastaferro the folded U.S. flag that had been draped over his son's casket.

The Army has awarded Daniel Guastaferro several medals for his efforts in the war, including the Bronze Star and Good Conduct Medal.

Army bugler Master Sgt. James Richardson of the Nevada National Guard marches to his post Sunday after playing taps at a memorial service for Pfc. Daniel Guastaferro at Palm Mortuary. Guastaferro died Jan. 7 in Iraq.
Photo by Craig L. Moran.

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2005, 04:33 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Unhappy

I know two guys who have buried their sons because of this war. I can't let myself even imagine.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:55 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

The names are the same, only the faces are different. God Bless this brave young man who sacrificed for our way of life. May God grant him peace and shine his grace on him.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).