The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2004, 03:00 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hiking article.

I went with two kids on a 50 mile hike in the Smokies earlier this summer. One was a former scout and the other his friend. They are very smart, having made straight A's through high school and college. I guess I am there for comic relief. Anyway, the other kid wrote a newspaper article about our hike. It is at http://seviercountynews.com/sevierco...?id=8&a_id=219

He wrote about a tough hill. It took me about 4 hours to go 3.6miles but the elevation change was over 3000 ft. I got to the top and there were some horseback riders there. I said, "Hello, fellow backpackers!" A guy on one of the horses said, "We're not backpackers." I said, "I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to the horses."
Old 07-29-2004, 03:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Doc a well written artical sounds like you have installed your love of the outdoors onto another generation thanks doc see ya in september.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:55 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Fred,

Fred,

Nice article.
If my weight loss and exercise plan goes well and no more "golf accidents" I want to climb Mt. Adams next July or August.. Third highest peak in the Cascades. Want to go with me? Three days should do it! I have climbed most of the major peaks in the Cascades, except Mt Adams. The South Ridge is just a long hike nothing technical.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 05:00 PM

Now Doc that's my kind of backpacking....uh, letting the horses have that kind of fun that is.

Nice article.
Have you ever climbed the Adirondacks? There are some wonderful trails and the good old Appilachian Trail ends right up around here. There is a great climb up at Lake Placid to the top of Whiteface Mountain. Once you get up there (typical NY fashion) there is an elevator that you can take down to the parking area. The view is Fantastico!
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 07-29-2004, 05:00 PM

Oh and you can see three states from up there...NY, VT, and MASS.
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 07-29-2004, 05:31 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking From the top of Rainier you can see:

British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, and they Big States!

Keith
Old 07-29-2004, 07:39 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Keith, you get skinny and I'll hike with you next summer. The scouts are going to Phimont Scout Ranch next July for about a 100 miler over 12 days. We plan to train for it every month till then by hiking. Dragon Lady, I would love to do the Adirondack part of the AT. I have done from the Smokies to I 81 in Virginia over the years, about 250 miles. The Northern part is very beautiful I have heard.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Roan Mountain near here has a couple of places with 360 degree views. You can see Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, South Carolina and Kentucky on a clear day.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:21 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Mt Adams is 12,227 ft elevation

Little higer than anything back East. It's a two day climb if you are young. Three day climb for the old folks.

Keith
Old 08-02-2004, 10:39 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I've been to about that high at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. I got altitude sickness and had to lie in my tent for a day. No big deal: plan for four, try for three.