The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2008, 03:23 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Pete's view (note the sunburn)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIC_0055.JPG (150.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_0044.JPG (151.9 KB, 9 views)

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2008, 05:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Now thats what I was talking about. where else can you get views like that and get payed too.?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

sn-e3,
You can't. If you can over look the things you don't care for, you can see these sights with open eyes. I was stationed on the CGC Tamaroa for two years. We departed NY harbor, Oct 16, 1982 and I was instantly sick. Puked my brains out on nearly every patrol, but got some of the most beautiful sunrise/sunset pics.

Trav,
All in all, he'll have to take the good with the bad. Unless he came right out of an OTC, he ain't startin' on the top. We all know that. And those who have spent any time on a ship, know that salt and steel or aluminum don't mix. Get him pointed in a direction that he feels comfortable with, (a rate to study and and strike). This might help his attitude pick up.
Good luck.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Thumbs up Damn good advice!

Thanks to all who have posted, I think after talking a bit to this kid's father, he will get the message across to him!

As for me, you guys can have them boats, ships, vessels or whatever they are called, I like land and not the muddy kind!

My son will graduate high school this spring, he is planning a hitch with the Navy, might be a lot more posts like this to come!

Trav the Landloving Redleg!

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 03-11-2008, 07:09 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Yup

sounds like deck division under the 1st LT department. I lucked out got to go to a school when I went into the Navy, and started to work at my rate right after school. Howerver, I did have to do my turn as compartment clearner for a month. Had to clean our berthing compartment onbaord the Kitty Hawk during our deployment. Big deal so I had to clean the decks, the overheads, and the heads. Had to clean the barracks when I was in the Army along with our soliders who lived in them. We just did it, and noone complained. I heard the young sailors when I was compartment cleaning "man I didn't join the Navy to do this". Yeah well like Gunner Carvo Says "TS SAILOR". I had the best shined knee knockers on the ship. All though I think they should have called them shin busters.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 03-11-2008, 12:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Assuming things haven’t changed all that much, the Lad will be doin what he’s doin until he takes steps to do something different. Not sure what it’s called these days but it used to be called GCT ARI score and this score more-or-less defined what Rates the Sailor could go into. If he doesn’t know where he can go, then he’s not likely to get there.

If he’s already assigned to a division; say WEPS for instance, but is not a designated ‘Sticker’, then he’d better waste no daylight in getting cracking on the course materials for one of the Rates within WEPS. And attitude goes a long way; an LPO or CPO is more likely to take on an aspiring Striker that has some enthusiasm than one with an attitude and a bo-bo lip going.
As it turns out, life in the steel city sharpens a lot of ‘street smarts’ and grapevine kinds of things and never did see a 2nd Class PO or LPO or CPO that was willing to go looking for some troublesome person to take on as a reclamation project. Heck, got enough hull down on the horizon ship wrecks out of BUPERS, so no need to go scouting up more.

Scamp
Old 03-11-2008, 04:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gunner Carvo Send a message via MSN to Gunner Carvo Send a message via Yahoo to Gunner Carvo
Distinctions
Contributor 

He should go see the Command Career Counselor after talking to his Divisional Career Counselor about his ASVAB score and what he's eligible to strike.

I got lucky. I got picked to be a Gunner's Mate. My division saw me as a project, but a GM2 saw me as worthy of filling his shoes.

"Without me, the war will go on. With me, it could end." - me

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." - JFK

"Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto."
(I bring not the rays of the sun but the thunderbolts of Jupiter)

Old 03-12-2008, 11:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Originally Posted by catman
Need help for a friend. His son went into the Navy unassigned, what is the name/phone number of whoever is in charge of enlisted personel in the Navy. I guess the kid is miserable and wants to see if he can get into any rate that does not include scraping the deck and painting. Thanks! Trav

Good God Man, didn't anyone talk to this young man before he enlisted? His recruiter needs a swift kick in the ass, what about his ASVAB??
At this rate he'll be a Boatswain's mate for sure, not that there's anything wrong with that! Oh, by the way no matter what rate he gets into, they'll be plenty of chipping and painting to go around if he's assigned to a ship!
Maybe he can tell them he likes planes and become an Aviation Boatswain's Mate, the finest Rate in the Navy!

Maybe Bupers can help him out, steer him to the right path. http://www.npc.navy.mil/channels
He needs to be told to get meet with a Career Counselor ASAP!
Chances are he'll be sent to the fleet and if he's very lucky he can then get an "A" or "C" school. This could take months.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 03-12-2008, 01:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

With regard to the A or C school, he needs to get a serious direction. If he's miserable now, and he waits too long for a school, he may have to enlist for an extended time, to complete the term required after school. Once he finds a niche, he may not have an issue with the extended term, and may go on to re-enlist.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner Carvo View Post
Trav,
Sounds like the boy needs to learn the "tough sh!t" rule. Chipping and painting sucks, but "tough sh!t." Washing the bulkheads so many times that you can see the primer and painting it again sucks, but "tough sh!t." ALL enlisted people and even some officers on my ship were doing topside preservation on the way back from The Gulf this summer. There was some spots that were overlooked while we were taking care of the job at hand, but we made it all pretty again before pulling-in to Pearl Harbor en route to San Diego. When I get some new turd onboard telling me that he didn't sign up to do "sweepers" or shine brass, I tell him to read his contract again. It's in the Oath of Enlistment: obey the orders of those appointed over me. My bosses did it. I did it. They'll do it. Tough sh!t. We haven't contracted out "high dusting" yet.

Well if he doesn't like sanding and painting the deck up topside maybe he will like doing it in a hot greasy engineroom . While he is trying to watch some piece of machinery also.