The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War I

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Isorzki-Fiat Armoured Car

The Imperial Russian Army was something of a pioneer when it came to the use of armoured cars during WW1. Already before the war they had made studies regarding the use of armoured cars, and when the war broke out, they were quick to employ them. All in all, the Imperial Russian Army fielded over 300 armoured cars during the war.
Quite a few of these were imported. It turned out, however, that the Russian made so many improvements modifications to these imports, that is soon became more rational to order the chassis only from abroad and then build the own bodies domestically. Beginning about 1916, the Italian Fiat company sold to Russia conventional touring car chassis with pneumatic tires, 60hp motor, doubled at the rear to carry the additional weight. Then, 6mm thick armor was fitted to them in the Izorski factory. The vehicles weighed some 5.2 tons, had a crew of 5, an armament of 2 MG:s and was capable of a speed of 60 km/h, 14 km/h in reverse.
Approximately 74 of the Izorski-Fiat cars were built and they were used first by the Imperial forces, and then by the Soviet army through the 1920's. A number of these were captured by the Germans during WWI, mainly during the summer offensive in Galicia in 1917, and used by them in Panzerkraftwagen-Zug 8, and later after the war in the interal unrest in Germany proper. Several more found themselves into the armouries of the the Finnish Army (some were captured from the Red Guards in the Finnish Civil War in 1918) and Polish Army in the early 20-ies. (At least two Polish-captured Izorski-Fiats were used against the Russians in 1920.)

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links