The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2003, 05:46 AM

Angry Freds dept. store

I was in Freds dept. store the other day and I found something that just made me very angry, the bags that they put your items in had a american flag it said we support the flag and our troops. I like that part very much, then i saw they were selling american flags made in China i don't know about anyone else but this pissed me off. I know stores sell a lot of thing made in China, hell most things we buy are made there, but a AMERICAN FLAG is more than i can stand, I will never buy anything thing else from there anymore. May GOD bless the USA and bring our troops home safely.

Rebel
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2003, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

I have been watching Dell crush the competition for the last couple of years and it always brought a smile to my face to see at least one tech company doing well. They have annihilated many companies in their path including Gateway and although HP teamed up with Compaq they are getting slammed too. I had even started to recommend them over Gateway/HP as superior priced performers. Then a few days ago I was reading a Devorac article in PC Magazine and came to find out they build their boxes in China and farm out tech support to India. This blew my mind. I am not naive and I understand economics to an extent but this does not sit well with me. I will never buy or recommend a Dell to anyone again.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:43 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default foreign products...

the Chinese and Vietnamese products are everywhere. The next time you go buy a pair of sneakers...look at the "made in " product tags...I posted something a while back about imported catfish from Vietnam..I believe now it must be labeled as such...thanks for the info about Dell..

Larry
Old 05-06-2003, 10:47 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs down

My genuine Harley Davidson leather vest was made in Korea.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:07 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

There are many ways around this "Made in America" labeling. Red Wing work boots and shoes tout themselves as one of the very few made in America boots. Well the leather is produced here, Red Wing Minn, than shipped to China where the "boot" part is made and shipped back to the factories here and than the sole is attached, and the boots are stamped "Made in America". Damn shame!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 05-06-2003, 01:26 PM

Angry flag

I understand, about everything ,being made out of this country,but these American flags had a tag on them made in China and the fact of it being a American flag just pissed me off

Rebel
Old 05-06-2003, 02:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

India, it seems, is one huge software support and code writing facility. In terms of technical/scientific applications coding, I can?t think of anyone who doesn?t do it in India. Also, I can?t think of a large engineering/manufacturing corporation who doesn?t have their I.S. help desk in India. It?s a strange deal to call something like 911 help and have Gupta, Netiyil or whoever pick up. Strange stuff for sure but they are sharp at their work and know their stuff.

Scamp
Old 05-07-2003, 04:23 AM

Yes they know there stuff, they are trained in class just like we were here in the states, the trouble is it cost too much to run call centers here, they can get people there to work for 10 dollars a day which is a great wage there, I was working at a call center for Sitel they run a large part of call centers under contracts. Why pay american workers 7.50 or 8.00 an hour when they can get muhammed to do it for 2.00 an hour, got to increase the profit margine. Muhammed adds nothing to the american economy except taking our jobs, I am sorry we need to get back to american first, forget NAFTA, stop sending american jobs overseas. And we wonder why we have 8 million americans out of work, keep creating service industry jobs but if there aren't any other type of jobs who can afford to go on vacation to support the service workers? Unemployment is a lot higher than 6% that doesn't include the people who have ran out of benefits and can't find work. I believe the true number is closer to 9%. We can afford to spend 15 billion on Aids in africa but we can not extend the unemployeds benefits? There is something wrong here, and people need to wake up.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Last I checked this out, the Indian wage base for I.S. help desk /software product development was about one half the going rate in the US. I think the real show stopper here is the US costs of benefits, especially medical and dental coverage. This can easily double, triple or quadruple the hourly wage rate cost of having someone on the payroll. Another issue going on is that the Indian Government isn?t allowing those who collect an education on the Government nickel to emigrate. So what is resulting is that Deli is becoming wall-to-wall and stacked to the ceiling with various levels of computer science grads, and they are really, really liking the prevailing wage rate.

So anyway, if we wanted to do something to bring the US worker to parity with the world, we?d need to overhaul our health cost system significantly. But so long as we have Attorneys driving medical costs out of sight and beyond, we can forget any kind of wage parity and international competitive stance in any number of fields.

Scamp
Old 05-07-2003, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

These offshore workers screw the IT industry bad. Clinton raised the work visa numbers for our industry from 10k a year to 60k. Half the people I meet in the industry around here have a red dot on their foreheads. You cannot understand a damn thing they say on the phone in tech support either. There are other countries that produce excellent code and can be understood. Two examples of this are Russia and Ireland. I have worked with programmers from Russia and while they do have a different way of going about things that increases project cycle times they pay attention to detail and the finished product rocks for the price. Ireland, while costing a bit more for the finished product does just as well. Why we as Americans stand for losing our jobs to foreigners that compound problems by not giving a sh*t about learning our language or culture to even support the products they produce is beyond me. It is GREED pure and simple and it has been the downfall of many other great nations before us.