Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2004, 03:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default 1CAVCCO15MED: Question about D. Crockett

Doc,

Since you're in Limestone, mebbie you know this...

Do historians have Davey's birthplace nailed down exactly, i.e. is there a cabin, or do they know exactly where his home was?

His first wife, Polly Finley (sp?)...is her gravesite known?

Just wondering.

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2004, 05:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Wasn't he born on a mountain top in Tennessee?

Born on a mountain top, raised in a cave, drinking and fighting is all that I crave.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 06-26-2004, 09:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

He was born on a riverbottom at the confluence of the Nolichuckey River and Big Limestone Creek. There is a replica cabin on the site that is most likely where the real one stood. In his autobiography he describes where it stood so it is pretty close. I am sure his wife is not buried nearby because his family moved from there when he was still a child. His grandparents were some of the first settlers into East Tennessee and those on his father's side were killed by the Cherokee. He fought in one Indian War and when he saw the pathetic way they were being treated became a strong advocate for them. He was always for the underdog and fell out with Andrew Jackson over the forceful removal of the Cherokee on the "Trail of Tears". Jackson put his considerable political power into running Crockett out of his congressional seat and succeeded. Crockett's comment on the matter was, "You can go to hell, I'm going to Texas." He had even had ambitions of running for president before his falling out with Jackson. Instead, Jackson's protoge James K Polk became president, started the Mexican War and allowed James and all the rest of those west coast guys to be Americans instead of Mexicans.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:25 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thanks to Doc,

Been there, seen that, got the Coonskin to prove it! I have seen Davy's birthplace.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)