The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2003, 05:27 AM

Default thanksgiving

In my family it is the tradition for the youngest at the table old enough to form a sentance gives the thanksgiving prayer... since I proudly retain the title "Patriot Files' Son" and this is may well be the last time I am online for any length before the American Thanksgiving... I'll give mine.

I am thankfor V8 - serves great nutritionally.... but serves better to remind us that vegetables are best in solid form.

I am thankful for Alice Cooper - who shows us that even though someone appears one way... they could be completely different on the inside.

I am thankful for a letter a vet I very much respect wrote to my Drill Sergeant - it gave me both my first time to lead a platoon in PT... and the most memorable.

I am thankful for everything that happened good in my life - they HELPED me to grow into the man I am now.

I am thankful for the things that happened bad in my life - they FORCED me to grow into the man I am now.

I am thankful my dad has a full set of hair.

I am thankful for the Class Six.

I am thankful that I am an American and can go on counting my blessings forever.

I am thankful for my Grandfather who once told me that life isn't about how long you live.... but about how you live - and even more thankful that he is a specimen representing both.

I am thankful for Alfred Hitchcock for serving as an example that good horror movies need no special effects.

I am thankful for my heros: John Rabe, Buckminster Fuller, Ghandi, Moshe Safdie, Peter Garrett, Johnny Cash, Dean Koontz, Father Joe, My Brother, Franz Kafka, Kris Kristoferson, Sam Damon (fictional Character), John the Baptist, and the ones who's names rest on walls and in our hearts.... and many other heroes.

I am thankful for growing up with not much- it taught me that the finer things in life do not ferment in bottles, are not rated by stars and are not advertised in magazines.

I am thankful for peanuts even though they aggrevate my allergies.

I am thankful for our history, it is the only justification we have a future.

I am thankful that I have doubts about how I will do at some very difficult training - it makes me prepare harder.

I am thankful for my friends - if you think you are my friend....you are. And you definately are if you understand that when I talk like I have the world figured out... I feel like I don't.

I am thankful for my buddies. They provide meaning for what I do. When I am weak - the lend me strength. When they are in need I am there for them.

I am thankful for my family.

I am thankful for women of all generations - such as Tina Turner, Sharon Stone, Denise Richards, The Olson Twins, and I better stop there.

Counting our blessings can be a dangerous thing though. It can lead us to want to count the blessings that we do not have. We must look for the excesses in our life. I am thankful that I am blessed with strength, stamina, fortitude and intelligence... I will share these as best I can.

I don't pretend to understand the true meanings of why our country has gone to war - why soldiers are dying everyday - but when I go, if I hold in my heart the idea that I can share my gifts and blessings - then I have all the justifcation I will ever need.

In Japanese Bushido, The Way of the Samurai, a Warrior visualizes his demise everyday and prepares for it. The whole goal is to die as respectfully as possible. By preparing for the most honorable death we live the most honorable life.

It's easy to understand how someone in the military can live the path of the Warrior... but in everyday life we can live the warrior life too. Find the non-quantifiable end-state you want... and live your life toward that end, but take your time! Examples are not needed.

Some Nebraska Poet Laurette who's name escapes me stated while taken a piss in one of two very old urinals of the brand Hindsdale: "The hindsdale teaches us the inescapable truth that it is in loss that one gains. And it is here in the solitude of the Hindsdale that man can truely come to find himself." Or something similar to that. We should all learn to pass on some of the things in our lives. We are able to have so much in this country that we desire it all. We want MORE money, we want MORE time, we want MORE sex, we want MORE steaks, we want MORE channels, we want MORE GIJoe comics, we want MORE internet speed, we want MORE MORE... but ENOUGH is only a myth. Give some of it up instead! Once one starts realizing that they can give some, or all, of something away, they realize that they really do have enough. But I'm keeping my truck.

On this Earth there are more resources than we need. No one should live in poverty, no one should die of diesease and famine because of sanitation issues.... no where should be over-crowded - besides sporting events. no one should starve, there really shouldn't be war. But people are hoarders... everyone. I have a stock-pile of GIJoe comics (yes I admit it), I have more CDs than I can listen to, and I have more time than I need tonight.

This Thanksgiving... really think about what you are thankful for. And then think of how you can share them with others - so they can be thankful too.

Have a great Thanksgiving!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2003, 06:04 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Lightbulb

THE BRAD-

Truly words of wisdom by your grandfather!

Quote:
I am thankful for my Grandfather who once told me that life isn't about how long you live.... but about how you live

VERITAS
Old 11-26-2003, 07:26 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

I want to wish all here a very Happy Thanksgiving. And, a special wish of Thanksgiving to those troops deployed in foreign lands far from home. Those of us that have experienced the Holidays away from home, in the service of this country, know that Thanksgiving and Christmas are probably the hardest times to be away from home and your loved ones.

Happy Thanksgiving
Be Safe
God Bless

Sempers,

Roger, Ellie and Family.........

Giving Thanks
For the hay and the corn and the wheat that is reaped,
For the labor well done, and the barns that are heaped,
For the sun and the dew and the sweet honeycomb,
For the rose and the song and the harvest brought home --
Thanksgiving! Thanksgiving!

For the trade and the skill and the wealth in our land,
For the cunning and strength of the workingman's hand,
For the good that our artists and poets have taught,
For the friendship that hope and affection have brought --

For the homes that with purest affection are blest,
For the season of plenty and well-deserved rest,
For our country extending from sea unto sea;
The land that is known as the "Land of the Free" --

~Author Unknown
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
Old 11-26-2003, 08:39 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Last Night

Last night I was assigned the title for a sermon to preach at the Community Thanksgiving Service, the Title was "Gratitude as a Discipline."

Brad,
You have learned that our happiness is indeed an attitude and discipline that we develop by insisting on finding the good in life rather than the bad. Yes there are problems and difficulties in our lives and our country but there are good people and good everywhere if we look for it.

Most of us have so much more than the average person in the world, we should be grateful for the material wealth which we have. Most of us have two vehicles, most of the rest of the world walks.

Even during the worst times of life when a loved one passes on we can still be grateful for their life and how it has contributed to our lives. Even sad times can be grateful times if we discipline ourselves to gratitude.

Thanksgiving and Gratitude are a discipline, its a choice! If we desire to be grateful and joyful we can in every situation.

Brad thank you for your list! You have learned a lesson that many have yet to learn, and you are very young. You are going to have a great life.

Keith
Old 11-26-2003, 10:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

My sincere well wishes to all this Thanks giving esp what Roger so well. Remember never get mad at someone till you walk a mile in their shoes. That way if your still pissed you are a mile away and you got their shoes !! Peace
Old 11-27-2003, 10:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up BRAD

You are a young man wise beyond your years. Thank you for illustrating that we all can find something in our lives to be thankful for, no matter how small. They are often the REAL important things.

I want to wish everyone that sees this today a

VERY HAPPY THANKSGIVING!