The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2007, 10:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Default Silver Lab!

I attended a massage therapy class for canines this past weekend. I had and have dogs with back problems, knee displacement, elbow and hip ailments. I thought the class was well taught and I learned a few new methods of massage. Among the verity of attending dogs was a "Silver Lab!"
I asked just what makes it a Silver Lab, to my knowledge there is no such thing. The owner explained that it is a cross between a Weimaraner and a Lab. In other words a mutt, I was quickly corrected and told this breeding was done on purpose!
I found the dog to be rather ugly, the tail wasn't docked like a Weimaraner and it looked very odd. The coat wasn't short and flat, but rather fringed on the chest. The dog had yellow eyes, was gray in color both Weimaraner traits. It was about the hight of a Weimaraner.
Strange looking beast, and it's temperament was that of a shy, easily frightened dog.
I was also amazed to find out that the owner paid an outrageous amount of money for this animal. $1000!

I don't know, but the more I see happening in the dog world the more displeased I'm becoming....

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2007, 11:55 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

The best thing I can say about dogs is that they cook up real good.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:21 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

1000 bucks for anydog is a bit much for me! I'd rather go get a dog from the pound any day.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Some people think of a dog , Or a cat as a human, "My Babies"
I'm real sorry, but, people, these animals are property, although a good dog is nice to have, when it gets old, a 12 gage works better than therapy.
Buy all means spend your whole life savings on your dog if that is what you want, but people also have to realize that to most people an animal is just an animal, and not some member of the family.
People that care for a dog or a cat like a family member don't understand that the animal is just an animal and people that consider a dog just a dog don't understand the feelings that a dog owner that considers the dog family, Have.

I think there is room for both in this world.
If your feelings for any animal are "special" , theres nothing wrong with that, but then you must consider that others don't share those feeling's and they have just as much right to, there opinion as a "dog lover"

I find it funny that people consider Dog therapy , but I would say that if therapy for your dog is good for you, then my , or any one Else's opinion should not matter.

Ron
Old 03-28-2007, 03:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Quote:
Originally posted by 39mto39g
I find it funny that people consider Dog therapy , but I would say that if therapy for your dog is good for you, then my , or any one Else's opinion should not matter. Ron
Ron, I think you know by now I'm not of the normal verity. While I enjoy the company of my dogs, I do not consider them my kids!
My dogs all do something I also enjoy, be it Fly Ball, agility, obedience, herding or god forbid the show ring. I'm currently training an Aussie as a Therapy dog for people and if all works out he'll be trained as a service dog.
Yeah, I go a bit over board when it comes to their care and upkeep. Luck for us the wife use to be a Vet tech, so that cuts down on some of the expense of medical bills. I use a chiropractor for the dogs as well! I've seen a difference in their performance after an adjustment. Crazy, yup, but it keeps them and myself happy so what the hell. Massage Therapy for dogs works pretty good, it gets rid of some of the aches and pains they might have.
Figured I might as well learn it myself as a session can cost between $40-$60.
I'll be the first one to tell you the dog world can be a very strange place. I seen the extreme from pampered lap dogs to the kennel dog who is used for nothing but work. I know how to care for my dogs, and as far as the rest of the world, hey what ever works for you.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown