The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2002, 08:02 AM

Default New Mexico

Does anyone here live in New Mexico? We'll be out there next week to look around at possible retirement locations, and although we have some areas in mind it's also important to know which areas of NM to avoid.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2002, 08:36 AM

hey jeff...out there at the four corners,
there are many choices...so don't make any snap judgements!!! check out az.nm.col. ut. don't forget to see
SEDONA AZ.
good luck on retiring...been there for 10
years and i love it too...
Old 11-01-2002, 09:09 AM

Thanks, Dan. I was raised in Tucson, still have relatives in AZ and I know AZ pretty well (don't particularly want to go there, for several reasons). We're very familiar with the Sedona area, I have relatives in Prescott, and my sister & her family live in Tucson.

We're going to look at SE, NE, N, and possibly central New Mexico, and possibly S Colorado. We've traipsed (got that word? ) throughout Colorado for over 30 years and have some places in mind.

We're not gonna buy anything now. We'll look into taxes, water supply, medical facilities, you know - the standard stuff. Through this inquiry I was hoping to learn of places and/or areas to NOT consider to avoid wasting time.

Our problem is we now live in a rural area, but we're close to great hospitals and within 40 miles of any kind of shopping one could want. We can't imagine moving back into a urban environment - even a small town - but out west there is no transition between urban and rural. Either it's urban or rural. And BANG! You're rural immediately! And sometimes REAL rural. And sometimes you will never be accepted by those REAL rural residents.

We haven't checked Utah, but I don't know if we'll have time this trip. One of my wife's cousins lives in Albuquerque and another in Salt Lake City, but we're not particularly interested in those areas.
Old 11-02-2002, 03:15 AM

jeff, didn't mention my sister and brother in law live in green valley and have for
20 years.
now...traipsed??? were or are you
wanderers? or gypsys? or nomads?
ha ha !!!?
Old 11-02-2002, 06:30 AM

Thumbs up Traipsed!

My mom also lived in Green Valley for many years. Failing health made her move back up to Tucson to be closer to my sister. Have you taken any tours of the mines thereabouts? And the drive up to Madera Canyon is nice (that's where we scattered my parents' ashes) and then over the mountains to AZ Rt. 83 is great.

My mom's place in Green Valley was also our base for exploring the ghost towns down near the Mexican border.

During their younger years our kids camped with us in 32 states. My wife and I have camped in a few more than that. We were gypsies, tramps and thieves!