The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2002, 01:36 PM

Thumbs up Wife & I saw VN Memorial at Rest Area in Alabama

Took a business trip last week and got the wife to go with me and we went from Chicago to Indianapolis, Louisville, Nashville and down into Alabama.

We stopped at the all the entry Welcome area's to pick up some maps and make a pit stop. When we got to Alabama we pulled in and saw a huge Saturn Rocket (it's been there a long time) my first time to see one this close.

We also discovered a small VN Memorial of all the Vet's that died their from Alabama. It had a nice etching on it and all the name's just like the small wall that moves around.

We stood there and read some of the names and reflected on all those whose names were listed and moved on. It was quite nice and I've seen another like that by our home near Lansing, IL where they have a helicopter mounted and each year we go there for Veterans Day and every now and then my wife will go with me when I just drive over there and sit and reflect.

I don't know I just can't get this crap out of my head. At least three times a year I have to the memorial and at least once a day I think about those times - why is that? It won't go away and I'm not loosing any sleep so why is it that I'm drawn to these memorials?

Fly the Flag Boys

Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2002, 01:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Boats
the next time you're in Indianapolis let me know. We have a really
decent Memorial here
Bob K.

God bless the ACLU
Old 10-02-2002, 01:58 PM

b3196,

I've got a Cousin who lives in Indy now works for NavStar if that's what they still call it. Don't get that way often even though its only a 2.5 hour drive. I will keep you in mind if I get back that way.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 10-02-2002, 05:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Boats. Much of the same. It was a memorial time we took part in and lived. Welcome home.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:46 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

It is different every time I have gone to the wall. The one thing they all had in common was I felt like I was visiting my buddies. I will go back every chance I get.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:00 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default All of those names

Were the real heros of that war.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:36 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Yeah!

You got that right. I do pay my respects with the emphasis on respect.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:51 AM

They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old,

Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn,

At the going down of the sun and in the morning -

We WILL remember them. LEST WE FORGET
Old 10-05-2002, 01:27 PM
Doc.2/47

I have a good bit of envy for you guys who can visit the Wall or other memorials and find a measure of peace there.I've never been able to do that.Never have really felt right about coming home while I still had buddies fighting for their lives.Too afraid I'll go and find the name of a friend I left behind,or just get to wondering how many names might not be there if I had just stayed a little longer and tried a little harder.
Old 10-05-2002, 07:30 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Doc, it has taken me over 30 years to come to some kind of grips with what happened in that year so long ago. I guess my biggest handicap was guilt for all I hadn't done. It is easy to remember all the bad outcomes since they hurt so much at the time and seemed to stick with you more than the good stuff. The good stuff I did was just me doing my job and I took no notice of it at the time. It is hard to go back and look at all that. Once I started looking back because I had to I started remembering all the fantastic things I had done. I am sure there are a whole lot of guys walking around today because of you, a lot of kids that wouldn't have been born if you hadn't saved their daddy. I guess you have to wade through the grief a bit to get to the good memories. There may be dead buddies on the wall you don't know about. What you won't see it you go there are all the lives you saved, all the lives you allowed to be born, all the happiness that resulted from your deeds so long ago. Those guys on the wall are not your failures, they are your friends. Maybe they didn't have a life after Vietnam but they never hurt again and are forever young. If you are like me you can't remember the names of all the guys that died on you. I had to just go to the panels that occurred during my tour. They are all there in one place and all I can say from my personal experience is they are full of love for the guy that tried to help them. Maybe they didn't live but if you hadn't been there their last minutes would have been full of dispair. You won even when they didn't make it. At least for me all that love is so evident every time I go. Welcome home, buddy.