Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2004, 02:06 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default New Ariz. Law Worries Immigrants

AP

Immigrant parents have been flooding community leaders with calls and pulling their children out of Head Start this week after Arizona voters approved a ballot measure aimed at cracking down on illegal immigration, Hispanic officials said.

Proposition 200 requires proof of citizenship when seeking public benefits or when registering to vote. Government employees are required to report suspected illegal immigrants seeking public benefits or else face jail time and fines.

Martin Delgado, a legal resident, said he fears for his wife who is here illegally. She is among the estimated 300,000 to 350,000 illegal immigrants in Arizona.

"She fears even to go out to walk because anyone can ask her for legal papers," said Delgado, 33. "She doesn't have any type of identification, and now it will be harder to go around."

Phoenix-area Head Start leaders said attendance dropped dramatically Wednesday as worried parents kept their children home from the federally funded preschool program. In one classroom, only two children showed up instead of the usual 20.

Rachael Schultz, spokeswoman for Maricopa County Human Services, which oversees Head Start centers, said Spanish-speaking teachers and staff members called parents to assure them their children are safe at school, and by Thursday, attendance returned to normal. Citizenship is not a requirement to be in the program.

Representatives of Latino groups said they are urging people not to panic.

"It's a very reasonable fear," Thomas Saenz of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund said. His group is expected to seek a court order barring enforcement of the measure after the results are certified. Election officials have 30 days after the election to certify the results.

Similar fears sprouted in California a decade ago after it passed a similar measure, prompting many undocumented immigrants to keep their children away from school and doctor appointments.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Doc.2/47

Sounds like a good law to me except that it also ought to extend to public schools.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:59 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Dave

It has always been my understanding that if a citizen gets married to a non-citizen and they live in the US, she becomes a citizen, her child, children, are the same as the wife. Children born here, out of that union are, of course citizens. If Mr. Delgado is a legal, I don't understand his or his wife's fear? I was sure that, "the spouse is legal if she marries", is a federal law, federal law always trumps state law. I don't get it?

Of course parents of kids in headstart or any other program who are illegal do have something to worry about - and that's a good thing. But Delgado's situation seems like worrying about the sky is falling.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 11-06-2004, 01:47 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default David...

Don't you think it's about time requiring proof of citizenship for all American Citizenry Funded Agencies and Citizenry Funded Public Schools??

Showing proof citizenship for voter registrations, might also make our voting process more legitimate also. Don't believe that The Democrats would have faired as well this last time, if proof of citizenships were required.

Also David, why do you (just like Liberal Press) lump together: "Immigrants" with Criminally Illegal Aliens? The first are documented and have waited for many years on quotas, just to immigrate to America.
The second (re. Criminally Illegal Aliens) sneak into America at whim for a multitude of reasons (some quite suspect, lethal or deadly).

In this country largely made up of: "Immigrants",...I personally find it very insulting to be lumped together with; "Criminally Illegal Aliens", and as if one and the same. THAT'S JUST NOT SO. I'M NO CRIMINAL. I'm an American Citizen in good standing.

Besides, let "Their" countries' taxpayers take care of all illegals discovered here in America. American Taxpayer generosity should only be used for The American Citizenry.
Charities and Embassies can take care of all foreigners, here legally or otherwise. Shouldn't "Their" usually received Foreign Aid,...at least cover that?

Neil
Old 11-06-2004, 01:53 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

AND THEN CAME THE LIGHT!!!!!

ANOTHER SET-BACK FOR HIS EXCELLENCY, VINCENT [THE COYOTE] FOX!!!!

VERITAS
Old 11-06-2004, 04:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

If you don't want to play by our rules, pack your shit and git!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 11-07-2004, 12:38 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default S-Hawk...

Well stated. That's exactly how it should be in ANY COUNTRY supposedly governed by Rules of Law.

Still, it is truly quite ironic that even though America acknowledges all foreign sovereignties as valid and not to be transgressed,...no such concern for sovereignty seems applying for right here in America. I believe The American Citizenry deserve better.

Hell, and given the reality that We're at war and under attack by fanatically-murderous mulsim terrorists,...The American Citizenry SHOULD DEMAND BETTER. If not somehow documented,...GET-THE-HELL-OUT or Go To Jail.

Don't believe my wife should have to go shopping, packing a Colt or Berretta, just because of The ACLU Fools,...whom should actually be named The WCLU or WORLD Civil Liberties Union, since fighting for and favoring foreigners and foreign ethnicities over Americans,...IN MOST ALL (if not actually all?) INSTANCES.

Neil