The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > New Members

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2009, 01:12 PM

Question hi there

i am a new member of the forum. i was hoping someone could give me some perspective on the revolutionary war.

i began researching my family tree a few years ago and in the last year a flood of people poured forth that are all some kind of relative. i am up to 28 men in my family that served in different aspects of the revolutionary war. from a 4th greatgrandfather who was a maryland drummer boy to greatuncles and cousins in the pa flying camps to my cousin jacob shallus who penned the declaration of independence.

so, what was going to be a short bio on the men now seems to require a chapter in the story i plan to write on the family. what i need are suggestions on some great reference books that i can use for accurate descriptions of the social and military climate of the time. most of the books i see referenced in the tree info are not available to me due to cost.

thanks in advance for anyone who has any hints or suggestions on how to go about this task. thanks, rita
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2009, 05:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Revwardoc , who posts here should be able to help you Rita. Good work your doing. Welcome here !
Old 09-12-2009, 04:49 AM

Thank you for the welcome.
I am also currently working on a project dedicated to my father who was a marine in WWII in the south pacific. I have alot of info on him and his medals and plan on organizing it into an honarary tribute. I have every letter my parents wrote to each other and it tells an amazing story.

Can you tell me how to contact Revwardoc? Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Rita , I will tell him about your thread
Old 09-12-2009, 08:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Welcome Aboard !!!

Larry
Old 09-13-2009, 04:25 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate your thoughtfulness and guidance in advance. I would like to be as accurate as possible with both projects. For my fathers project I am getting some good photos of the islands he was on and I actually have a few of him there as well.
My Rev War men are another story. I have found references to different men in other people's journals but not much luck finding a diary for any of them alone. Of course I am having no problem with Jacob Shalus who by the time he was asked to pen the official document was working as Assistant Clerk to the Pennsylvania General Assembly. Now, if only the others were as easy to research.