Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Military News > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2022, 03:23 AM

Arrow New pictures released of US Navy's Zumwalt-class destroyer USS Zumwalt

New pictures released of US Navy's Zumwalt-class destroyer USS Zumwalt
By: Naval News & Navy Forces Maritime Defense Ind. - 04-13-22
Re: https://www.navyrecognition.com/inde...s-zumwalt.html

Photo link: https://www.navyrecognition.com/imag...er_Zumwalt.jpg
Zumwalt-class guided-missile destroyer USS Zumwalt maneuvering off the Southern California coast (Picture source: Chris Cavas)

USS Zumwalt (DDG-1000) is a guided-missile destroyer of the United States Navy. The ship was commissioned in Baltimore on 15 October 2016. Her home port is San Diego, California.

The Zumwalt-class destroyer is a class of three United States Navy guided-missile destroyers. The class design emerged from the DD-21 "land-attack destroyer" program as "DD(X)" and was intended to take the role of battleships in meeting a congressional mandate for naval fire support.

Unlike previous destroyer classes, designed primarily for deep-water combat, the Zumwalt class was primarily designed to support ground forces in land attacks, in addition to the usual destroyer missions of anti-air, anti-surface, and antisubmarine warfare.

The vessels' distinctive appearance results from the design requirement for a low radar cross-section (RCS). The Zumwalt class has a wave-piercing tumblehome hull form whose sides slope inward above the waterline, which dramatically reduces RCS by returning much less energy than a conventional flare hull form.

The ship is 600 feet (180 m) in length, with a beam of 80.7 feet (24.6 m) and displacing approximately 15,000 tons. Michael Monsoor has a crew size of approximately 148 officers and sailors; she can make speed in excess of 30 knots (56 km/h; 35 mph).

The "Zumwalts" use an Integrated Power System (IPS), which is a modern version of a turbo-electric drive system. The IPS is a dual system, with each half consisting of a gas turbine prime mover directly coupled to an electrical generator, which in turn provides power for an electric motor that drives a propeller shaft.

The system is "integrated" because the turbo-generators provide electrical power for all ship systems, not just the drive motors. The system provides much more available electrical power than is available in other types of ships.

The DDG 1001 is armed with 20 MK 57 VLS (Vertical launching System) modules, with 4 vertical launch cells in each module, 80 cells total. Each cell can hold one or more missiles, depending on the size of the missiles.

The ship can launch Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile (ESSM) surface-to-air missiles, Tactical Tomahawk Vertical Launch Anti-Submarine Rocket (ASROC) cruise missiles. The ship is also armed with two 155 mm Advanced Gun Systems and two Mk 46 Mod 2 Gun Weapon Systems.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal note: I'm a fresh air sailor from the early 60's. This is a very slick looking
Naval vessel - but looking at this vessel makes me think of an enclosed coffen.
I'm a fresh air sailor - no subs for me and this vessel seems very much like a
sub with no windows and no one on the deck. This would give me the willies.
I'm a fresh air 12-year former sailor who will work my ass off but anything below
the waterline isn't for me. I don't know how the below deck sailors handle being
encapsulated by steel bulkheads all around them - and then during GQ they are
sealed in their compartments. I worked the hangar deck and flight decks during
my day. The Navy knew this when I enlisted - fresh air sailor's are still needed
today thank God. Same rules apply in space folks sealed in an enclosure for all
that time must require a skye test for applicants. whew! not for me!
-

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links