The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2005, 02:21 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Great Food; Great Times; And Most Of All,.......GREAT FRIENDS

Started it off with hooking up with Packo and Andy as soon as I landed in Atlanta Friday afternoon. Andy had rented a BIG Cadillac for the ride from Packo's house to Psyco Mtn. Packo had driven from Beaufort, SC, to the Atlanta airport then turned it over to Andy to contend with Atlanta's rush hour traffic. Still having flashbacks of that ride. It was worth it all though to see my good friend Packo again, and to finally meet Andy eye ball to eye ball after hours of phone conversations through the years.

This was what it was all about for me; seeing old friends again, meeting old friends for the first time, and making new friends.

People like: Our hosts John and Sid, whom I'd met at last year's West Coast Campout. Sid, the great storyteller. Still someone dangerous if provoked, but a true friend to those of us who know him. John, with a drink in his hand most of the time. A gregarious, out going man always ready with a smile; a hospitable host. Would sometimes catch a quick glint of sadness about him, though. A caring friend, always ready to help carry your ruck if needed.

Andy: Proved that the Irish have nothing on the Poles for a capacity of drinking. Although, being able to walk upright counts for something . Was glad to finally meet my longtime friend. A big man with as big a heart.

Packo: My Airborne Bro. A very good friend of several years whose company I've shared in the past. Always enjoy his company. Someone who can always make me laugh, and who I know is always there for me to talk to.

BobK: I don't think I ever saw him without a smile on his lips, or in his eyes, all weekend. A cop with a humongous sense of humor; you gotta love him. However, like with many cops that I've known, nothing is too sacred to not make fun of. He WILL probably smoke a turd in Hell. Although, he brought a pick-up truck full beer.......2yrs. in a row. That just might get him into Heaven........according to the Irish way that I was raised .

Travis: One of the nicest young men I've met. The proud son of a Vietnam Vet who was proud to be treated as an equal by Vietnam Vets. But, it was earned. We were equally as grateful for his service during Desert Storm. The bratwurst helped, too . Always be proud of who you were/are and where you've been, Trav.

Larry: Well, Larry's Larry. Larry's life has been in a bit of turmoil lately and sounds like a country-western song, complete with "My dog died." A deep, sensitive man who seems to take life's setbacks harder than some at times. You need to cheer up, Bud. I suggest getting laid . You know we all love ya, Lar.

Danny [White Oak]: Another Airborne Bro who I was especially glad that I got to meet. A year, or so, ago, Danny posted the best pictorial history of his tour in Nam that I've ever seen. If you missed it, it's worth going back through these pages to find it. Also, some great pics of him with the Brit paras while they were jumping from air ballons in Europe. Danny is a very quiet man who is quite comfortable spending time with himself. We did have some lively conversations sharing stories of some of our wilder exploits as hard drinking paratroopers, though. Danny is a gifted folk-artist, weaving baskets from strips of white oak [thus the handle]. An old southern art form that was handed down from his father. I'm happy to have spent some time with you, Danny.

[Goodness] Gracie: A free-spirited, gentle soul who was a delight to have around. Her and Larry were often found head to head discussing their mutual interest in Astrology. She was kind enough to do readings of her Tarot cards for several of us. I was glad to learn about the serenity and monetary stability that will be coming into my life soon. I deserve it. Thank you, Darlin'.

Phillip: Sid's son. Philip is a Staff Sergeant in the Army [soon to be promoted to E-7]. A good looking young soldier who should be on an Army recruiting poster. He is airborne qualified,and was part of 2 82nd Airborne commemorative jumps in Europe; Anzio and Normandy. I will be forever envious. Phillip was recently awarded his Master EOD Badge. His Explosives, Ordinance, and Demolition unit will be deploying to Iraq later this month. You know we're all grateful for your service son, and will be praying for your safe return.

Ray: Sid's brother. Ray was a Recon Marine in Nam. He came out from Wa state. I met Ray last year at the West Coast Campout. A likable guy who's fun to be a round. A sharp poker player who walked with a considerable sum of money, I believe. Ray makes a GREAT salsa picante [hot sauce]. Made your eyes water, your forehead sweat, your scalp itch, and your sinuses drain.......all at the same time. I LOVED it.

It's late. There's several more people that I'd like to point out later.

DANNY [WHITE OAK]:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the kiss 2.jpg (306.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-30-2005, 04:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default on the mountain

I took my camera and had all the intention of taking many,many photo's but I had so much fun I only took two.One in route to the mountain.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:15 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default number two

This one I took on my campsite,never go camping with one of this tents,they are cold,wet,hard to put up and useless(but they were cheap)
Old 04-30-2005, 09:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Doc Hal:

An interesting man of many facets; a weapons collector, an avid and capable outdoorsman, a dead-on marksman, a maker of ancient weapons and armor, a natural-born storyteller, the holder of the Combat Medic's Badge, to point out a few. An easy-going man with a ready smile, I enjoyed engaging in several conversations with Doc. And you gotta love a guy that drinks beer out of a powder horn :cl: .

Doc Hal on the left. Forget the other fella's name.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

In all seriousness, (really, I'm not kidding) his name is Dick.....Cannon cocker, Vietnam vet
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:28 PM

Hi, Y'all!

Gracie here. So glad the website is back up, and that everyone made it through the weekend safe and relatively sound. Hope y'all had a wonderful time-- I certainly did. Thanks for a terrific birthday, time of my life. Curtis, Doc Fred, James: I sure did miss you guys. Great to see everyone from last year again!!!

Of, course it was an absolute pleasure to meet all the new folks (OK, new to me). I was an FNG last year, and you see what it did to me (LOL). Anyhoo, someone mentioned having not seen the soon-to-be-World-Famous Outhouse Saloon Split-on-the-Bar photo from Halloween, so I'll post it again here. Hey, Sid, did you ever get all those splinters out?

Hope to stay in touch with "all y'all" (that's the plural form of "y'all", BTW). PM me & I'll send you my real e-mail. Again, I had a fantasic time visiting with everyone, and I appreciate you guys keeping me warm (maybe I should have checked the Weather Channel first).

As always, Love & Kisses, and many, many fond memories,

Gracie
Old 05-02-2005, 01:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Gracie
I forgot to wish you (my future ex-wife) a happy birthday
So Happy belated brthday.....That makes you old enough to
be John's daughter....doesn't it?
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 05-02-2005, 02:07 PM

BobK,

Thank you so very much for the birthday greeting, mydarling future ex-husband. It is your unswerving faith in the things to come that endears me to you so.

Still think I'm too old to be John's daughter, but what do I know?

Looking forward to the summer train trip.

Love & Kisses,

Gracie
Old 05-02-2005, 04:39 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Gracie-Darlin
I posted some pictures of you along with a few others in the 2005 east coast campout
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 05-02-2005, 08:46 PM

You're the sweetest! Damn shame bigamy's still illegal in Indy!