The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Military News > International

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2024, 02:36 AM

Exclamation Joe Biden's Strikes on Yemen Spark Democrat Fury

Joe Biden's Strikes on Yemen Spark Democrat Fury
By: Kate Plummer - Newsweek 90 News - 01-12--24 ~ 4:34 AM EST
Link Re: https://www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-y...0118?piano_t=1

Some Democrats have responded with anger after President Joe Biden authorized air and missile strikes in Yemen on Thursday.

The United States and the United Kingdom—with support from Australia, Bahrain, Canada and the Netherlands—targeted strikes at 60 Iran-backed Houthi rebel targets in 16 locations in Yemen on Thursday, following the Houthis attacking shops traveling in the Red Sea and ignoring warning from the U.S. to stop the assaults. The Houthis said the missile and drone attacks on ships headed for Israel, which began in mid-October, were in protest against Israel's military action in Gaza.

In a statement, Biden said: "These strikes are in direct response to unprecedented Houthi attacks against international maritime vessels in the Red Sea—including the use of anti-ship ballistic missiles for the first time in history.

"These attacks have endangered U.S. personnel, civilian mariners, and our partners, jeopardized trade, and threatened freedom of navigation."

[President Joe Biden speaks during a campaign event at Emanuel AME Church on January 8, 2024 in Charleston, South Carolina. The President authorized air and missile strikes in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen to stop attacks on ships in the Red Sea.]
PHOTO BY SEAN RAYFORD/GETTY IMAGES] (on site only)

He said the strikes send "a clear message that the United States and our partners will not tolerate attacks on our personnel or allow hostile actors to imperil freedom of navigation in one of the world's most critical commercial routes," and warned he "will not hesitate to direct further measures to protect our people and the free flow of international commerce as necessary."

Biden's decision triggered a backlash from some within his own party.

Newsweek contacted a representative for Biden by email to comment on this story.

Posting on X, formerly Twitter, California Rep. Ro Khanna said Biden should consult Congress before launching air strikes.

"The President needs to come to Congress before launching a strike against the Houthis in Yemen and involving us in another middle east conflict. That is Article I of the Constitution. I will stand up for that regardless of whether a Democrat or Republican is in the White House," Khanna said.
-
NOTE: A posted reply: The President needs to come to Congress before launching a strike against the Houthis in Yemen and involving us in another middle east conflict. That is Article I of the Constitution. I will stand up for that regardless of whether a Democrat or Republican is in the White House.
-
[The President may initiate limited military action without prior approval of Congress,
as long as he reports out to Congress within 48 hours. Per 50 USC 1543.
Re: law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/50…]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal note: I'm pretty sure many Presidents have often times had to
make decisions - or act quickly on - issues of peril - to safeguard areas
in international waters and to protect U.S. supplies needed in the US.
I'm sure the military made the request to safeguard our men & ships as well as the items needed - here in the states.
-
My note is only speculation on my behalf - but to be realistic its to safeguard our men - ships and supplies going to or coming to the U.S.
-
Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links