The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2003, 04:07 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Black slave owners

Michael Johnson and James Roark, in their book Black Masters: A Free Family of Color in the Old South (W.W. Norton & Co., New York, 1984), note:

?In 1830 approximately 1,556 black slave owners in the deep South owned 7,188 slaves; about 25% of all free blacks owned slaves. Most people are shocked and amazed to discover that there were black slave owners there were 10,000 to 12,000 black slave owners in 1860

Howard University professor Larry Kroger researched the history of black slave owners in South Carolina (Black Slave owners, MacFarland and Company, Jefferson, NC, 1985) and also cites records that show more than 10,000 slaves were owned by free black men.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:21 PM

I'm a little skeptical of their research. Why has it taken this long to unveil this info.? If it's true, it's an important bit of truth that could change the way many Blacks think towards the White race.

It's well known that Blacks were horribly treated by White Slave owners. However, Blacks today should realize that not all White folks were responsible for their inslavement.

Many Black folks clump White folks into one horrible and contemptuous people. They should stop faultering all White folks for the misdeeds of the Slave Owners and racists.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 07:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Reparations?

So how does this newly revealed information fit into the matrix of reparations that some Blacks are advocating? There is also a deafening silence on the part of so called Black leaders on the subject of Blacks owning other Blacks.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 08-23-2003, 07:08 PM

Default Philly

While it true that small portion of white slave owners abused their slaves, it is even more true that the greater majority did not. Slaves were a valuable piece of property to these owners and could not easily be replaced.
However, the greatest mistreatment of black slaves came at the hands of black slave owners. They viewed their fellow men as unworthy of ethical treatment because they allowed themselves to continue to be slaves, even to another black man.
If the blacks had been as universally mistreated as you seem to believe (and that the northern liberals would like everyone to believe), there would have been a horrific uprising and murderous escapade immediately following the emancipation proclomation and the end of the civil war. There was not. The reason is simply that most slaves (black and white) were not mistreated as the liars would have everyone believe. That is why, even today, more blacks live in the south than any where else in the USA.
It is a fact that the northern states owned more slaves than the south and that greater autrocities were documetned about this than in the south. As has been stated by several others on this forum, the civil war was NOT about slavery, but was a war over states rights of self-government as given to the states in the Constitution, but was and still is being usurped by the federal government.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:46 PM

SGT T,

I haven't read very much on the subject of Black Slavery. Quite honesty, I have never heard your claim until today that Blacks owned other Blacks. I was told Blacks had servants but never a slave in the U.S. I have never read any documentation on the Northern folks owning more slaves than the Southern folks. If all of this is factual, how come we are not taught this truth in school? Why are "all" White people faulted for the mistreatment of the slaves? Why don't Blacks report the complete truth if it were as you stated?

Scout,

It's ridiculous for anyone to seek reparations 400 years later. An apology from our government should have been enough for us all to move forward.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:12 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Angry Slavery was once the mark of wealth and power world wide.

In Africa the wealthy blacks (chiefs and kings) had slaves. It was apart of the world's culture 500 years ago. In some areas of Africa slavery is still practiced today! (Not legally but the UN will tell you that is still exists today) Who do the blacks have as slaves in Africa?, Other Blacks. Since it was a cultural thing it probably didn't seem so evil as it does today. In third world countries were slavery is practiced, it seems a normal way of life.

(note)
Conservative, evangelical Christians led the way in abolishing slavery in the United States and Great Britian. Today they are increasing villainized by the press and liberal media. If it weren't for the conservative Christian Community it would have taken much longer to abolish slavery.

Keith
Old 08-23-2003, 09:32 PM

How about the whites that owned white slaves? The first slaves to come to America were indentured servants. If their masters were kind they did okay, but if they were evil--these servants were no more than slaves.

I hate to say this but women in the US were not much better than slaves for decades. They couldn't own property, vote, or manage their own affairs. I do believe that Abigail said something about the plight of women to John when he was working on the Declaration of Independence--and how long did it take for women to get the franchise? 1921???
Old 08-23-2003, 09:35 PM

The information shared in this thread is all very interesting. As an American, we have a right to know the complete truth. I feel as though, I am a foreigner learning about someone elses culture.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:21 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Slavery :

Our public school system has totally mis-represented many things including slavery and the Civil War. Check out the Old Testament. As far back as recorded history ( 6,000+ years ago ) there was slavery. When one tribe or group conquered another, slaves were part of the booty along with food, gold, silver, and anything else that was of value. The refrain of 500+ years of slavery and oppression, reparations and all the rest of the black rant has gotten mighty thin, but they still like to say it. It absolves them of responsibility for everything and they like it that way.

Larry
Old 08-24-2003, 08:27 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default philly

If you want to know how you missed out on this information start by looking at old books.

Old encyclopedias, school books and even dictionaries can reveal a lot. Antique books on almost any subject can be very revealing.

I own a book written by an explorer that traveled from New England to what is now Washington State. He landed at Port Townsend, traveled across the pass to what is now Ellensburg, went down through what is now Selah and Yakima to the Columbia River, from there to the Pacific and back to New England.

The most obvious difference between that book and one that was written 50 years later by someone who interviewed the Indian. The explorer wrote that he was "abandoned" him in the "wilderness" (Selah). The inverviewer wrote that the Indian left him because he was "tired of being treated like a dog".

They agree that one left the other. One says that the other did not do what was expected of him. The other said that he was required to do more than he agreed to.

I've always said that Communication in Everything! :re: