The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2003, 09:26 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Welcome back Skeeter....

Until I was about 4-5 years old I was on a farm in northwest Kansas; near Colby, and it wasn?t until I moved to Nevada that I discovered that snow fell vertically not horizontally. I hope that the newer is better than the older and all is settling in for you and yours.

Scamp
Old 10-30-2003, 10:01 AM

Skeeter Yes to your question most are Viet Nam vets but some served in both wars. I was Navy Destroyer USS Black DD 666 we served with many carriers the Roosavelt, Intripid, Constillation, Oriskany, Forestal, Midway,Bon homing Richard to name a few.. Which ones were you on and what did you fly?
Old 10-30-2003, 10:30 AM

Skeeter,

Welcome aboard Sailor. Extended leave I see under some unusal circumstances. Tornado's hmm - bad news - don't want any of those spouts in my neighborhood. Sorry to hear about the material goods being taken - but glad to hear you and your wife are OK and in good health.

The new ship you build will be a beauty I'm sure - double hulls and extra port holes. Get a heavy keel and a good mast and I'm sure you weather out the best of them.

It's no laughing matter when dealing with those circular winds. Too many people in the midwest have those puppies every year and its hit or miss or the luck of the draw.

I welcome you back and we look forward to future reports as to how your progressing - my best wishes to you and your family.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:11 PM

Irisheyes, your question on what aircraft carrier I served on.. Upon graduating from flight school in 1951, I went aboard the carrier BonHomme Richard(cv-31) VC-61 squadron flying F9F-2B Panther fighter jet esort for photo recons off coast of Korea, than to 1st Marine div. VNJ-1 at K-3 in Korea doing same there flying F2H-3 Banshee jet. Than on to USS Princeton(cv-37) with VC-61 doing same onboard in Korea. Some 20 months of Korean combat action. Then I decided it was time to get into real dangerous duty, and that was flying P2-V Neptunes at Agana, Guam for typhoon hunting. I was there 18 months, and back aboard the BonHomme Richard again, than shore duty at NAS Moffett Field, Ca, NAS North Island, Ca, on to USS Constellation(cv-64) for Viet Nam duty, and several other stations during the 24 years in.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:05 PM

Skeeter
I too was on Bon Homme Richard, May-Dec 1951. I was with detachment George VC-35, the old Skyraiders, best aircraft ever built. Still associate with former squadron members, edit a newsletter and attend a reunion once a year. I left VC-35 and went to the training command at Barin Field, Foley AL. then on to VP-16. Left them in Iceland and returned to Sunnier locations
Old 10-30-2003, 03:52 PM

Jimmyjet,
I appreicate your reply and to learn there are some others that still hang around. I'll be 73 in December and at my age feel life still has some gifts to offer. Since I've had this computer, I have found several old Navy pilot buddy's.. It takes a lot of search to find them.
Yes remember the old "able dogs" AD Skyraiders real well.
So you road the BonHomme all the whole cruise -May-Dec 1951?.
I came aboard Sept. 5, '51, and left her when she returned to the States on Dec 17,'51. That is when I was transferred to K-3 at P'phang, S.Korea as exchange pilot with the 1st Marine div. photo recon there. Sometimes I wake up in middle of the night, thinking I'm still there.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:36 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Skeeter sorry to answer you as Irisheyes but my wife was logged on at the time and I didn't bother to check my name is chris and I go as SN-E3 on this site nice to have you aboard if you want to read about my ship I have a web site ussblack.com and the whole history of the ship is there from ww2 to vietnam