Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2010, 07:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Wink Dubya vs Barry and our Marines

Link see:

A comparison between how Marines welcomed Dubya and Barry.

You'll love it...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2010, 02:52 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

..... and at least Dubya knows how to pronounce "corps."

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 02-14-2010, 10:12 AM

Default Props

Speaking as a former, I can vouch that the Marines know how to follow orders. To date, I don't think anyone can say that Obama uses our military as "props".

Which one is the turkey and which one is plastic?

At first glance, this might look like the ultimate photo-op; the Commander-In-Chief serving American soldiers in Baghdad with a perfectly cooked Thanksgiving turkey in 2003 after the invasion of Iraq. Only that’s exactly what it was– a photo-op. It later turned out that the perfectly-cooked turkey Bush served was actually made out of plastic and merely decoration.

Or, my personal favorite:

On May 1st, 2003, Bush was flown to the USS Lincoln where he made a speech announcing what he said signified “the end of major combat operations,” and that “In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed.” After the giant “Mission Accomplished” sign behind him was criticized by many, the White House initially claimed that the Navy had made put it there, but it was later revealed that the White House produced it. On the same day, the Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld made a similar announcement about the end of the war in Afghanistan. Secretary Rumsfeld said in an interview that Bush’s speech originally contained the words “mission accomplished” but he asked the Commander in Chief to remove them since they seemed too conclusive at the time. Administration officials made similar statements in what is now seen as only the beginning of the Iraq War, with Rumsfeld stating that he believed the insurgency “could last six days, six weeks. I doubt six months.” Vice President Cheney also predicted that the insurgents were in their “last throes” around the same time.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Just to set the record straight, the turkey was the prop, junior, not the military.

Actually, the "Mission Accomplished" referred to the aircraft carrier's mission; it had just completed a successful deployment into the war zone as per orders. All you are doing is vomiting up the same old trite bilge that the minimum stream press is still puking. Try living in 2010.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 02-15-2010, 08:19 AM

Default Props

Ohhh...SuperScout...I can see that bad-ass, Clint Eastwood lip-snarl (that you've likely spent a lifetime cultivating) as you called me "junior." What should I call you? Bush apologist? Racist-redneck? Angry old fart? Sucks...you're probably proud of those labels - just hate it when someone lobs a frag into your Obama-bashing party.

It would have been truly admirable and honorable if Dubya had actually served Thanksgiving dinner to our troops. But he didn't. He walked around with a plastic turkey on a tray with big smiles until enough PR photos had been taken among people that had little choice of being there. Our troops.

And, wasn't it funny how that "Mission Accomplished" banner and the thrust of his speech was not aimed at welcoming the Lincoln carrier group home? The banner was first blamed on the Navy until it was leaked that it was supplied by the White House - and then we heard the real story.

On that day, "Flyboy-in-Chief" paraded around the deck in a flight suit, helmet and chute harness that he had no right to wear. Ever see his glorious service record? It includes his suspension from flying and no record of ever serving the last two years of his obligation. Again, lots of great "Mission Accomplished" photos for the campaign while our sailors and marines (people who were putting in THEIR time) had a much-needed liberty delayed. Given a choice, you think most of them preferred putting on their dress uniforms and standing in as "props" rather than spending that time with their families? After many months at sea and traveling thousands of miles, the White House (and Dubya) took advantage of the fact that they didn't have a choice - as they did many times.

It was supreme hubris.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:33 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriley1349 View Post
...On that day, "Flyboy-in-Chief" paraded around the deck in a flight suit, helmet and chute harness that he had no right to wear. Ever see his glorious service record? It includes his suspension from flying and no record of ever serving the last two years of his obligation. Again, lots of great "Mission Accomplished" photos for the campaign while our sailors and marines (people who were putting in THEIR time) had a much-needed liberty delayed. Given a choice, you think most of them preferred putting on their dress uniforms and standing in as "props" rather than spending that time with their families? After many months at sea and traveling thousands of miles, the White House (and Dubya) took advantage of the fact that they didn't have a choice - as they did many times.

It was supreme hubris.
It'd be better to obtain one's information from the actual records, than to rely on propaganda.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:03 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Arrow

Video shots with sound recording of applause vs. still shots. I’ll have to go with the applause O’Meter. Thank you very much. Arrow

break

From Washington Post Article
regard the turkey photo
Posted in the Seattle Times
December 4, 2003:

"Officials said they did not know the turkey would be there or that Bush would pick it up. A contractor had roasted and primped the turkey to adorn the buffet line, while the 600 soldiers were served from cafeteria-style steam trays, the officials said. They said the bird was not placed there in anticipation of Bush's stealthy visit, and military sources said a trophy turkey is a standard feature of holiday chow lines.

The scene, which lasted only a few seconds, was recorded by a pool photographer and described by officials yesterday in response to questions raised in Washington."

(verify @ link below)

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2001806972_bushturkey04.html

break

Email from participant at President Bush Thanksgiving
Posted by Matthew (Black Five) Burden @ blackfive.net

"Below is an email (via military reader "In Media Res") from a Captain in the 501st (a unit that I know well) that was at President Bush's Thanksgiving Dinner. With all the talk of fake turkey and photo ops, maybe you should hear about the President's visit from someone that was actually there"

(verify @ link below)

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2003/12/email_from_part.html

email posted by blackfive.net from participant at Thanksgiving Dinner with President Bush follows:

(verify @ link below)

“We knew there was a dinner planned with ambassador Bremer and LTG Sanchez. There were 600 seats available and all the units in the division were tasked with filling a few tables. Naturally, the 501st MI battalion got our table. Soldiers were grumbling about having to sit through another dog-and-pony show, so we had to pick soldiers to attend. I chose not to go.

But, about 1500 the G2, LTC Devan, came up to me and with a smile, asked me to come to dinner with him, to meet him in his office at 1600 and bring a camera. I didn't really care about getting a picture with Sanchez or Bremer, but when the division's senior intelligence officer asks you to go, you go. We were seated in the chow hall, fully decorated for thanksgiving when aaaaallllll kinds of secret service guys showed up.

That was my first clue, because Bremer's been here before and his personal security detachment is not that big. Then BG Dempsey got up to speak, and he welcomed ambassador Bremer and LTG Sanchez. Bremer thanked us all and pulled out a piece of paper as if to give a speech. He mentioned that the President had given him this thanksgiving speech to give to the troops. He then paused and said that the senior man present should be the one to give it. He then looked at Sanchez, who just smiled.

Bremer then said that we should probably get someone more senior to read the speech. Then, from behind the camouflage netting, the President of the United States came around. The mess hall actually erupted with hollering. Troops bounded to their feet with shocked smiles and just began cheering with all their hearts. The building actually shook. It was just unreal. I was absolutely stunned. Not only for the obvious, but also because I was only two tables away from the podium. There he stood, less than thirty feet away from me! The cheering went on and on and on.

Soldiers were hollering, cheering, and a lot of them were crying. There was not a dry eye at my table. When he stepped up to the cheering, I could clearly see tears running down his cheeks. It was the most surreal moment I've had in years. Not since my wedding and Aaron being born. Here was this man, our President, came all the way around the world, spending 17 hours on an airplane and landing in the most dangerous airport in the world, where a plane was shot out of the sky not six days before.

Just to spend two hours with his troops. Only to get on a plane and spend another 17 hours flying back. It was a great moment, and I will never forget it. He delivered his speech, which we all loved, when he looked right at me and held his eyes on me. Then he stepped down and was just mobbed by the soldiers. He slowly worked his way all the way around the chow hall and shook every last hand extended. Every soldier who wanted a photo with the President got one. I made my way through the line, got dinner, then wolfed it down as he was still working the room.

You could tell he was really enjoying himself. It wasn't just a photo opportunity. This man was actually enjoying himself! He worked his way over the course of about 90 minutes towards my side of the room. Meanwhile, I took the opportunity to shake a few hands. I got a picture with Ambassador Bremer, Talabani (acting Iraqi president) and Achmed Chalabi (another member of the ruling council) and Condaleeza Rice, who was there with him.

I felt like I was drunk. He was getting closer to my table so I went back over to my seat. As he passed and posed for photos, he looked my in the eye and "How you doin', captain." I smiled and said "God bless you, sir." To which he responded "I'm proud of what you do, captain." Then moved on.”

break

Matthew (Blackfive) Burden @ blackfive.net posted
the following comments regarding above email:

(verify @ link below)

"How much more do you need to know?

We have a President worthy of leading Americans in the Guard and Reserve like Donnie and Darth and on active duty like Greyhawk and Sergeant Thor (Welcome Home).

If the turkey had been fake and the President had been insincere, that mess hall would have been a helluva LOT quieter...kind of like the recent reception of a certain Senator...Soldiers, while not being able to fully express displeasure with politicians and leaders, have their own ways of getting the message across loud and clear."

break

Matthew Burden’s Credentials:

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 02-15-2010, 12:14 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Thank you, Sis!

Now that a hyperbaric balloon has been burst, calmness, sanity, reason and common sense prevails again. Thanks for the accurate research and posting of THE FACTS of the event in question.

And to to jriley 1349: I did think that part of your signature was 'jr,' hence the junior. My error. And you have your choice of calling me "sir," "Colonel," "Proud Parent of Two Warriors on Active Duty," Proud Member of the Tea Party," or "Honoray Regimental Commander of the 47th Infantry Regiment." Your choice.

Now, go send a corrective email to B.O. and tell him the correct pronunciation of the word "corps." (

Old 02-15-2010, 12:25 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Thumbs up

You are more than welcome Colonel.

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 02-15-2010, 05:05 PM

Default Props

Well, hush my mouth on the big turkey scam. Blackfive tells a real heart-warming story of the event and he seemed choked-up just being in dubya's presence. I never put it past the Bush admin to hand-pick journalists allowed to cover events. Based on this story, Burden seemed deeply in love with Mr. Bush ("I felt like I was drunk"), and was also proud to shake the hand of Paul Bremer (the guy credited with dissolving the Iraqi Army and misplacing $8.8 billion while CPA chief) and Ahmed Chalabi (the guy who fed us BS WMD intel). Fortunately, Blackfive does not speak for all military personnel, or for that matter, the sailors and marines on the Lincoln carrier group during the "Mission Accomplished" stunt. Like I said, that one remains my personal favorite.

And Colonel, respect works both ways in the civilian world. You've referred to me previously as "snookums" (remember that sweet exchange?) and now junior, which you graciously recanted. On this Marine Corps forum, you can refer to me using my handle, jriley1349, Sarge (E5) or just Grunt (MOS 0311, infantry/rifleman), father of a recently discharged sailor/daughter and a son-in-law still serving and attached to the USS Enterprise (being overhauled in Newport News).