Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Benefits

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2010, 08:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default VFW's actions BETRAY THIS NATIONS VETERANS

More proof that the VFW is a lying bunch of malcontents!-----------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

VA Secretary Eric K. Shinseki has the definitive knockdown of the VFW's Tradewell's malarkey. Shinseki's statement is reproduced below. As is the statement of the Chairman of the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, Rep. Bob Filner's statement on Tradewell's lies

Quote:

"As Secretary of Veterans Affairs, I accepted the solemn responsibility to uphold our sacred trust with our nation’s Veterans. Fears that Veterans health care and TRICARE will be undermined by the health reform legislation are unfounded. I am confident that the legislation being voted on today will provide the protections afforded our nation’s Veterans and the health care they have earned through their service.

The President and I stand firm in our commitment to those who serve and have served in our armed forces. We pledge to continue to provide the men and women in uniform and our Veterans the high quality health care they have earned.

President Obama has strongly supported Veterans and their needs, specifically health care needs, on every major issue for these past 14 months – advance appropriations, new GI Bill implementation, new Agent Orange presumptions for three additional diseases, new Gulf War Illness presumptions for nine additional diseases, and a 16% budget increase in 2010 for the Department of Veterans Affairs, that is the largest in over 30 years, and which has been followed by a 2011 VA budget request that increases that record budget by an additional 7.6%.

To give our Veterans further assurance that health reform legislation will not affect their health care systems, the Chairmen of five House committees, including Veterans Affairs Chairman Bob Filner and Armed Services Chairman Ike Skelton, have just issued a joint letter reaffirming that the health reform legislation as written would protect those receiving care through all TRICARE and Department of Veterans Affairs programs."

------------------------------------------------

From Rep. Filner---Chairman House Committe on Veterans Afairs:

Health Care Reform Will Not Jeopardize VA Health Care Services

March 21, 2010

Washington, D.C
. – House Veterans’ Affairs Committee Chairman Bob Filner (D-CA) released the following statement regarding legislation to reform America’s health care system:

“Now that the President and Congress have laid out a strong plan for reforming the current health insurance system, I would like to take the opportunity to remind America’s veterans that the plan will not affect the VA health care system. I continue to work in concert with leaders in the House of Representatives to ensure that veterans receive the world-class health care services they have so bravely earned.

“As a result of these efforts, I am pleased to sign a letter with House Armed Services Chairman Ike Skelton, House Ways & Means Chairman Sander Levin, Education and Labor Chairman George Miller, and Energy and Commerce Chairman Henry Waxman affirming that current health care reform legislation does not undermine or change the Department of Veterans Affairs mandate to provide comprehensive health care to veterans. Enrolled veterans meet the individual responsibility requirements under the bill to maintain quality health coverage.

“Under the leadership of Speaker Pelosi, the House maintains an aggressive agenda to ensure that the promises made to veterans are kept. Over the last three years, Democrats have worked to secure landmark veterans’ health care budgets, provided a G.I. Bill for the 21st Century, revamped the VA home loan program, and improved health care and benefits for veterans.
“I firmly believe all of our citizens should have access to health care. I am proud that Congress has crafted a plan to bring stability and security to Americans who have insurance today, and affordable coverage to those who do not. This plan, however, will not jeopardize the current health care services and benefits provided by VA. We will keep our promise to our Nation’s heroes of the past, present, and future.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

American Legion Says Health Care Reform Won’t Harm VA, DoD

March 22, 2010 by Michael Leon ·

Looks like Thomas J. Tradewell Sr., head of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, is pretty much alone among veterans in repeating GOP talking points.

This just in: American Legion National Commander Clarence E. Hill Confident Health Plan Won’t Harm VA, DoD

The American Legion – March 22, 2010

“I have been assured personally by the President, Secretary of Defense, VA secretary, Speaker of the House, majority leaders, and numerous other senators and representatives – as has National Commander David Rehbein before me – that nothing in the national health care reform legislation will change current DoD and VA health-care eligibility or practices,” said The American Legion National Commander Clarence E. Hill, responding to the health-care reform bill passed Sunday by the House of Representatives.

“As late as 9 p.m. last evening, I was on the telephone with House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer and we spoke candidly about The American Legion’s concerns. Based on that conversation, the transcripts of hearings, assurances from the president and secretary themselves, I am 100-percent confident that Congress will act responsibly as regards the nation’s veterans and their families.”

Hill also explained that the legislative process being used to implement the current health-care reform is unlike any he has seen in his lifetime. Indeed, there has been nothing similar in the past 100 years. However, said Hill, “this is not the end of the health-care reform debate or legislative process. The legislation involved is so complex that it will take years to iron out and implement. The American Legion will be involved every step of the way to ensure that the health-care options guaranteed to servicemembers and veterans – and their families – will be protected.”

While the entire health-care reform legislative package is extremely controversial and contentious, The American Legion has taken a position on one aspect only: maintaining the autonomy of the Department of Veterans Affairs, and the Department of Defense’s health-care delivery systems.
“It is going to be a long, drawn-out legislative process, but America’s veterans can rest assured that their benefits will be protected. That I personally guarantee,” said Hill.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA) Decries Health Care Reform “Scare Tactics”

March 23, 2010 by Robert L. Hanafin ·

Despite the media spin and scare tactics of opponents of health care reform as reported in previous articles on Veterans. Today, Sec Def Gates Knocks Down Fox/VFW Report on Tricare, AND American Legion Says Health Care Reform Won’t Harm VA, DoD.

Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA) has joined in chorus with the American Legion, Pentagon officials, and Congressional Veterans Affairs Committees to reassure Veterans, our troops, and military retirees that health care reform will have no impact on Veterans benefits or TRICARE the health care plan covering active duty and military retirees.

Robert L. Hanafin, Major, U.S. Air Force-Retired, Veterans Today News

Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA) Applauds Passage of Skelton Bill Ensuring Protection of TRICARE, VA health care, and CHAMPUS; Decries “Scare Tactics”

“We thank and applaud passage of H.R. 4887 yesterday in the House of Representative, by a vote of 403-0. Passage of this bill ensures that health care programs for veterans, active duty military, retired military, and their families/survivors will not be affected negatively by the pending health care reform legislation.” said John Rowan , National President of Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA). .

“It is unfortunate that some continue to raise what is now even more clearly a false alarm that is apparently meant to frighten veterans and their families in order to prompt them to oppose the pending legislation. While there is legitimate debate as to whether or not the pending health care measures should become law, VVA does not appreciate spreading rumors that are not accurate by any political partisan from any point of the political spectrum.” continued Rowan:

“Last summer there was a similar incident, also involving partisans in the health care reform debate that VVA soundly condemned. We said then: “It is our hope that sane minds reject fear-mongering, and that veterans recognize these scare tactics for what they are.”

Rowan concluded by saying: “VVA has always worked hard for justice for veterans of all generations, and their families. We have always, and will continue to, work with public officials representing all political parties and points of view. Issues affecting veterans and their families are not, should not, and must not become partisan footballs to bat around. VVA decries any effort, by anyone, that would do just that.”

---------------------------------------

Tricare Meets Health Care Bill’s Standards, Gates Says

Sec Def Gates Knocks Down Fox/VFW Report on Tricare

March 23, 2010

Joining the American Legion, DVA Secretary Eric K. Shinseki, the Congressional Veterans Affairs Committes’ Chairs, Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates knocked down the report being pushed by Fox News and the Veterans of Foreign Wars erroneously suggesting that the Health Care Reform package would have a detrimental effect on veterans and active-duty servicemen and women’s health care through Tricare.

American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, March 22, 2010
– The Tricare military health plan meets the standards set by the health care reform bill the House of Representatives passed last night, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said in a statement issued yesterday.

Calling their health and well-being his highest priority, Gates reassured servicemembers and their families that the legislation won’t have a negative effect on Tricare, which “already meets the bill's quality and minimum benefit standards.”

“This was clarified by a vote in the U.S. House of Representatives [March 20], and is expected to be re-affirmed by the Senate,” Gates said in the statement.

“The president and I are committed to seeing that our troops, retirees and their families will continue to receive the best quality health care,” the secretary said.

http://www.dodvclips.mil/?skin=onecl...&autoplay=true

----------------------------------------

All the misinformation and downright lies being espoused by the likes of the VFW and FOX NEWS, etc. will come back to haunt these republican propagandists come this November. Mark my words.

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2010, 09:13 AM

Thumbs up Truth from credible sources

Good piece, Gimp. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:45 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Arrow

The whole dust up over Tricare was played out on the floor of the house of representatives and links to c-span
posted here on PF (see link below) provide those that actually have a dog in this fight
( Tricare beneficiaries, surviving spouses and orphans that fall under chapter 17 title 38, or Korean and Vietnam
veterans children who suffer from spina bifida who fall under chapter 18) the opportunity to view the procedure
and discussion that took place over an amendment offered by Rep. Buyer and Mckeon during a House Committee
on Rules consideration of H.R. 4872. Rules Committee Chairwoman Slaughter admitted there was an oversight
in H.R. 4872 but could not make the Buyer/McKeon amendment in order as the amendment was a budget reconciliation
process. House Resolution 4887 (passed without objection by both sides of the isle in the House) offered by Ike
Skelton was a good faith promise with no teeth unless the Senate Bill is corrected also.

Steve, with all due respect, it has always been a mystery to me why you rise in defense of government health care
(in your case the Veterans Administration health care) when you had to bring a medical malpractice suit against them
over your own care before justice was done and they paid you what they probably thought was a good sum of money
but really could not compensate for your pain and suffering. You have made this known to all of us senior members
on the site and then you ask us to believe it when we hear the words “I’m from the government and I’m here to help.”

Until those Tricare beneficiaries, and those surviving spouses and orphans that fall under chapter 17 title 38, or Korean
and Vietnam veterans children who suffer from spina bifida that fall under chapter 18 see ink dried on paper and signed
by the President of this Republic as a correction to the Senate Bill it would be more than foolish for them to assume
all is well with their benefits.

Arrow

Follow link below:

Dust Up Over Tricare - The Patriot Files Forums Dust Up Over Tricare - The Patriot Files Forums

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 03-23-2010, 03:32 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

[quote=Arrow;443219][font=Arial Narrow][size=4][color=olive][B
Steve, with all due respect, it has always been a mystery to me why you rise in defense of government health care (in your case the Veterans Administration health care) when you had to bring a medical malpractice suit against them over your own care before justice was done and they paid you what they probably thought was a good sum of money but really could not compensate for your pain and suffering. You have made this known to all of us senior members on the site and then you ask us to believe it when we hear the words “I’m from the government and I’m here to help.”

Arrow, with all due respect..............the "malpractice suit" I won against the VA doctor that gave me the wrong meds and nearly killed me back in 2001 was but one of two I have won against incompetent physicians (thank God there was no "tort reform" back THEN)! It took me almost two years to win the VA lawsuit. Since that time I have been going to the VA for ALL my health care......It is BY FAR better than ANYTHING I could be getting in the PRIVATE SECTOR! BAR NONE!

I was WELL "compensated" for my "pain & suffering" back in 2001 and have been receiving world class medical care ever since. This is NO "mystery"....I have been proclaiming and speaking out on the outstanding medical care offered at the VA for a NUMBER of years now.

The OTHER doctor was a "private physician" that nearly killed me back in 1980 when he almost removed the WRONG KIDNEY in a PRIVATE HOSPITAL! It took me almost two years to win the VA lawsuit. It took MORE than FOUR YEARS to win THAT lawsuit. I wasn't NEARLY as "compensated" in that particular case. But, still won a goodly amount and was given a public apology.

The frequency and number of "malpractice cases" in the VA is far BELOW the total (and average) of cases being pursued in the private sector. All you need do is research this to verify it.

I don't "ask you" or anyone ELSE for that matter to "believe" ANYTHING that is NOT TRUE and FACTUAL.............Just as the distinguished gentlemen and ladies in the above post have so CLEARLY described. I happen to "believe" them when they have gone onto public record with their statements regarding VA health care and TRI-CARE..........I would'nt believe a damn THING that comes out of the mouth of that fugitive from a "scholarship fund", Representative Steven Buyer, ranking Republican member of the Committee on Veterans Affairs EVER says! His piss-poor record of LACK of support for military veterans speaks for itself. All one needs to do is "check" his "voting record" these past ten years or so.

It's a "mystery to me" why anyone of your ability to determine fact from fiction would so choose to rank HIS record and past performance over those whom I have chosen to believe?

But,. I suppose that just me.

Been there---done that..............I really don't think that ALL those folks who spoke out in FAVOR of this measure (that I mentioned) would be as willing to show such disdain and absolute abandonment of support for "veterans" as has Buyer and some of his minions.

The "proof" is in the proverbial pudding.

Be well,

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Old 03-23-2010, 05:00 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Arrow

Thanks for the correction regard your "world class health care" from the VA since filing suit against them.
My memory had you pretty darn angry with the VA when you told the story but then we are talking ten years
of veteran’s critique on the VA here on PF and even longer if we include our time on the History Channel forum.
Please accept my apology for not getting it right.

I’m just thinking out loud here if the VA would be smart enough to give "world class health care" to a person
that had brought suit against them. That could be a possibility. However, on second thought, if they are negligent
enough to pay benefits to those claiming PTSD for service that has never been rendered, in places they have never
stepped foot on, the possibilities of them tracking your win against them narrows.

No surprise to me that the malpractice cases in the VA are far below the total average of cases being pursued in
private practice. Not all trust the VA enough to bring suit against them while there loved one has no other choice
but to be in the care of the VA. Not to mention that most have no idea that the VA can be sued. I personally was
completely stunned to know that you and another veteran on the site sued the VA and won.

You misjudge me, again, Sir, if you believe that I base my conclusions on the record of Steve Buyer.
If you bothered to follow the links and read the information provided and even taken the time
to view the video and the video transcript that points you to the exact place to begin watching
the discussion on the floor of the house you would know this.

Arrow

Escapee from the political machinations of all who are fiscally irresponsible (on both sides of the isle)
jeopardizing the future of my children and the life they have both worked so hard to build.

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 03-23-2010, 07:17 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Cool And now, the "fine print"

From CBO:
http://cboblog.cbo.gov/?cat=5

For starters...

"The key point is that the savings to the HI trust fund under the PPACA would be received by the government only once, so they cannot be set aside to pay for future Medicare spending and, at the same time, pay for current spending on other parts of the legislation or on other programs. Trust fund accounting shows the magnitude of the savings within the trust fund, and those savings indeed improve the solvency of that fund; however, that accounting ignores the burden that would be faced by the rest of the government later in redeeming the bonds held by the trust fund. Unified budget accounting shows that the majority of the HI trust fund savings would be used to pay for other spending under the PPACA and would not enhance the ability of the government to redeem the bonds credited to the trust fund to pay for future Medicare benefits. To describe the full amount of HI trust fund savings as both improving the government’s ability to pay future Medicare benefits and financing new spending outside of Medicare would essentially double-count a large share of those savings and thus overstate the improvement in the government’s fiscal position."

"By 2019, CBO and JCT estimate, the number of nonelderly people who are uninsured would be reduced by about 31 million, leaving about 23 million nonelderly residents uninsured (about one-third of whom would be unauthorized immigrants). Under the legislation, the share of legal nonelderly residents with insurance coverage would rise from about 83 percent currently to about 94 percent. Approximately 26 million people would purchase their own coverage through the new insurance exchanges, and there would be roughly 15 million more enrollees in Medicaid and CHIP than is projected under current law. Relative to currently projected levels, the number of people purchasing individual coverage outside the exchanges would decline by about 5 million. The number of people obtaining coverage through their employer would be about 4 million lower in 2019 under the legislation, CBO and JCT estimate."

"Although CBO does not generally provide cost estimates beyond the 10-year budget projection period (2010 through 2019 currently), many Members have requested CBO analyses of the long-term impact of broad changes in the nation’s health care and health insurance systems. A detailed year-by-year projection, like those that CBO prepares for the 10-year budget window, would not be meaningful because the uncertainties involved are simply too great. CBO has therefore developed a rough outlook for the decade following the 10-year budget window."

"These longer-term calculations assume that the provisions are enacted and remain unchanged throughout the next two decades. However, the legislation would maintain and put into effect a number of procedures that might be difficult to sustain over a long period of time. Under current law and under the proposal, payment rates for physicians’ services in Medicare would be reduced by about 21 percent in 2010 and then decline further in subsequent years. At the same time, the legislation includes a number of provisions that would constrain payment rates for other providers of Medicare services. In particular, increases in payment rates for many providers would be held below the rate of inflation. The projected longer-term savings for the legislation also assume that the Independent Payment Advisory Board is fairly effective in reducing costs beyond the reductions that would be achieved by other aspects of the legislation."
Old 03-23-2010, 07:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default My Dear Mr. Hawk

WTF are you rambling on with all this stuff for?

This "particular" thread is about the VFW commanders' stupid remarks about Veterans health care and veterans TRI-CARE.... and how they have been DE-BUNKED by the likes of VA Secretary Shinseki, Secretary Gates of the DoD, Tammy Duckworth of the VA, Bob Filner... Chairman of the House Committe on Veterans Affairs, and the heads of the American Legion and Vietnam Veterans of America.....just to name a FEW!

This is NOT a debate over the entire Health care bill, only as it relates to veterans VA health care and TRI-CARE benefits.

Try and stay "on subject"....will ya?

Thanks,

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 03-23-2010, 07:40 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

n/t

Old 03-23-2010, 09:16 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Arrow :-)

Pretty sure that sooner than later, what I just shared will be found to be on topic.

Sorry...
Old 03-24-2010, 08:37 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

[quote=Arrow;443224][font=Arial Narrow][size=4][color=olive][b]You misjudge me, again, Sir, if you believe that I base my conclusions on the record of Steve Buyer.
If you bothered to follow the links and read the information provided and even taken the time
to view the video and the video transcript that points you to the exact place to begin watching
the discussion on the floor of the house you would know this.

Arrow, if I misjudged you I certainly didn't mean too. It was you who brought Rep. Steven Buyer into the conversation, I was merely attempting to show his less than credible past performance on most items regarding the VA.

With all the misinformation out there, I can certainly understand the consternation in a lot of folks minds. I am simply trying to offer the "facts" as ALL the other distinguished individuals and VSO's have placed into public comsumption.

The VFE Commander, Thomas Tradewell makes it obvious that his aim is not to have a rational discussion about a piece of legislation, but to demonize a particular political party. If Tradewell had legitimate concerns, why would he not also attack Republicans in Congress for offering no constructive alternatives to the health care legislation that would have addressed this issue? Or even offered any course of action in the 10 years they were in the majority?

He didn't chastise Republicans because A) his purpose is to shill for them; and B) his concerns are over fabricated issues that do not exist.

We've already heard from the relevant committee chairs in the House, as well as the Secretaries of Defense and Veterans Affairs that what the VFW has said is bunk.

But it isn't just elected and appointed government officials that disagree with the VFW. Other major Veterans service organizations have issued statements that contradict the feigned outrage and fear-mongering of the VFW.

For example, the American Legion, hardly a bastion of liberalism:

"I have been assured personally by the President, Secretary of Defense, VA secretary, Speaker of the House, majority leaders, and numerous other senators and representatives - as has National Commander David Rehbein before me - that nothing in the national health care reform legislation will change current DoD and VA health-care eligibility or practices," said The American Legion National Commander Clarence E. Hill, responding to the health-care reform bill passed Sunday by the House of Representatives. "As late as 9 p.m. last evening, I was on the telephone with House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer and we spoke candidly about The American Legion's concerns. Based on that conversation, the transcripts of hearings, assurances from the president and secretary themselves, I am 100-percent confident that Congress will act responsibly as regards the nation's veterans and their families."

Piling on, we also have a statement from AMVETS:

AMVETS leaders applaud the passing of H.R. 4887, introduced by Rep. Ike Skelton, D-Mo., that will protect specific health care benefits of military veterans, members of the Armed Forces and their families.
AMVETS National Legislative Director Raymond Kelly said Sunday that AMVETS leaders have always understood the intent of H.R. 3590: The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, and believed it would not compromise the health care benefits of American veterans.

"AMVETS continues to share the opinion of Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki and other VA and Department of Defense leaders that health care reform legislation does not threaten the veterans' community," said Kelley. "The successful passing of Rep. Skelton's legislation only solidifies our belief and erases any and all doubt of potential harm."

And, the Vietnam Veterans of America has gone on "record" to "debunk" the VFW' commanders outlandish statements as well.

It would appear that the VFW is the loan outsider, holding out in its Quixotic crusade to carry the GOP's water in the fight against health care reform.

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"