The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2005, 10:05 AM

Default 1945 Telegram

Are there any old telegram men around?Could you explain the first line.
It looks like Wisconsin but there is not a Fort Madison in Wisconsin.
There is a Fort Madison Iowa.

TELEGRAM::::

Z196 9 TOUR=Q FORT MADISON WIS 19 315P

Mrs A L MORNEWECK=
5010 S CLARENDON=

DELAYED BY FLOOD ARRIVE CHICAGO 8 PM THURSDAY LOVE=

papa
Old 07-16-2005, 05:18 PM

The first line would have indicated the serial number of the message for tracing, the number of words in the text of the message as a check, the operator's code who sent the message, the name or code of the original station from which the message was transmitted (in this case "FORT" would probably been a branch station), the name of the main station (in this case "MADISON") and the date and time transmitted.

FORT probably referred to Fort McCoy which was a major training area at the time.

This is pretty much a rough guess as I am not an expert on telegraphy, so any or all of my explanation my be taken for what you paid for it.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:09 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Christmas @ Volf Field ANG Base

When I was up at Volk Field ANG Base during Desert Storm working on C-5's that were transporting Ft. McCoy troops to Saudi. I drank a few Stevens Point Brewery Beers with a Private Label that read "Brewed for the Army's Finest" "Ft McCoy, Wisconsin" and I still have a Full Bottle on my Collection/memorabillia shelf. I always like to tell folks I wore Cold Weather Gear during my First Desert Storm Deployment in Dec 1990
I spent that Christmas there and the ATC gave us deployed Airmen a Christmas party at the NCO Club . here is some background on Volk Field :

On June 13, 1990, the site was designated the "ANG Combat Readiness Training Center" with authorizations for seven officers and 55 enlisted personnel. Volk Field played an important role during Desert Shield/Storm as an Aerial Port of Embarkation (APOE) supporting Army deployments to the Gulf War. It supported the transition of 137 strategic and civilian airlift aircraft, including C-5, C-141, B-747, DC-10, L-1011 and DC-8. The results were the movement of 15,471 passengers, 3,866 tons of cargo and the upload of 2,410,795 pounds of fuel. Several Air Force tests were conducted at Volk Field during this period to include the Airfield Mobile Lighting System and the Runway Marker System which were deployed in the war. A five year Department of Defense test of Camouflage, Concealment and Deception, was hosted by the CRTC immediately following the Desert Storm conflict.