The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War II

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2004, 09:18 PM

Default Naval Academy grads who participated in Normandy Invasion

I'm a freelance writer who needs to contact survivors of the Normandy invasion, still living, who graduated from the Naval Academy. I need this information within a few days so would appreciate any assistance folks can give.

Richard Dykeman
rdykeman@comcast.net
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2004, 09:51 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Richard,

Wouldn't the Naval Academy have those records? My assumption is that Naval Academy grads would have been working with the Shipping part of the operation. I have a friend who was a Naval Medic and he landed on the Beaches several times to help evacuate wounded off the beach on Normandy. But, he never went inland with the troops.

Keith
Old 04-10-2004, 08:56 AM

Keith:
Thanks for replying. The Academy keeps their records "close to their vest," unless one has the proper authorizations, which I don't. Neither does the retired Marine Corps Col. with whom I am working. Not sure what it takes but we will keep trying.

Landing on D-Day at Normandy and graduating from the Academy qualifies, if you would forward me his information, or ask him to contact me, would be most appreciative.

Ellensburg is one of my favorite places, back home. I'm a Seattle native, and we used to travel east frequently to visit relatives in Idaho. Always stopped in Ellensburg. Haven't seen it for 40 years though since moving east. See ya,

Dick Dykeman
Old 04-11-2004, 08:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post It seems to me that the record of the Naval Academy . . . . .

It seems to me that the records of the Naval Academy, which is a public institution, should be open to everyone. WW II D-Day is 60 years old this June. I can't think of any reason a researcher couldn't have access to those records. I'm sure the court system would be helpful. I'm sure there are legitimate fees that would have to be paid. They should be proud to release the names of those who participate in D-day. Importunity! Beg and plead, push a little and be persisitent. You'll see, they'll give you access to those records.

Keith
Old 04-11-2004, 10:49 AM

Keith:

Good advice, we will keep trying. Do yuou know anything about the D-Day Museum in Bedford, Virginia? It was written about in one of the articles posted on this web page. Thanks,

Dick
Old 04-13-2004, 07:41 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Freedom of Information Act

Dick,

A researcher at our college here said that the Freedom of Information act should open up the doors for you. You may have to remind them of the act and you do have the right of access to those documents. If you have a lawyer friend who could write a letter that usually convinces them of your rights as a researcher. There are library fees, use of copy machine fees, and using the library only during working hours, etc that you must obey. But they should allow you to have that information. Always be polite and considerate, it will get you further than confrontation.

Keith
Old 04-13-2004, 09:05 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default I invoked the F.O.I. Act on many occasions...

to get information about flag preservation in a certain state. Believe me it works, but send it return receipt requested so thay can't claim they never got it.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 04-13-2004, 12:30 PM

Default D-Day article

Thanks again Keith...

I think we have found a contact at the Naval Academy Alumni Assn, who I plan to contact when I finish this e-mail. I just hope I can come up with something before Thursday, that's my deadline.

Dick