The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2003, 06:41 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

"We did our job of getting ammunition to the Infantry up by the DMZ, and that is all --- no books, heroics, or even popular history about us."

Beau, I think that may bethe answer to "Are you Sure?" you did your job andeveryone just wanted to say thank you for a job well done.

And Shirley, as it is with boaties that did their job with no books, heroics, or even popular history about them so it is with mostMom's and Wives and Nurses in this world and we just want to say thank youfor a job well done.

Peace....

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2003, 09:12 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Congratulations to Beau and Shirley
Old 07-26-2003, 07:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Beau and Shirley...good job, none deserve it more! Thanks for your service.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 07-26-2003, 08:35 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Arrow Yeah

Beau; Do I look like a Negro? No you don?t. I?ve told you before, you look Italian and sound (on the phone) like a surfer dude. Glad you accepted.

Shirley, October is the traditional month to making things with cinnamon and vanilla. Can?t wait to see what you?ll make! When Fred comes in with his kite, ask him to take off his hat in your presents and tell him, You da one!

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 07-26-2003, 08:41 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Congratulations

congratulations, it is quite an honor

James
Old 07-28-2003, 07:34 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Congrats to SpongeBeau and Shirley.

Beau, I didn't see your spongebeau pic in the photo-album. It really lends character; it should be there. Maybe you can become a famous local artist like George Rodrigue did around here with his "blue-dog art." http://www.georgerodrigue.com/icaf.htm.

Chilidog
Old 07-29-2003, 05:01 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Congrats

to both of you. Being one who was "associated" with another part of the "Brown Water Navy" (the MRF in the Mekong Delta) I can speak with some authority on MUCH and how WELL folks like Beau did their "job" while serving their country. A well deserved honor for an articulate contributor around here.

Shirley---I feel I've already met you simply by having met yo hubby Fred! ANYONE that could "hang" together with that "wild man of the mountains" must be a true American hero! Just kidding! Fred's a great guy and I STILL ain't figured out how he could have held onto a great woman for that long.

Congratulations to each of you,

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Congratulations Beau and Shirley. Beau, I remember you guys going ka chunka, ka chunka between Da Nang harbor and the Cau Vet-at least that what a diesel sounds like on the hydrophones. One of your skippers named us ?water frogs?. I guess that?s a step up from being a ?squid?, LOL.

Scamp
Old 07-29-2003, 02:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default I'm part Igorot from another era

Chili-Dog: ain't got the Sponge Bob's Square Pants Holloween piccie on file anymore --- 'sides, that was another time, but my girl loved it.

I surfed and found a bit of that blue dog artwork and it is fine. I tell you --- I paint or sketch impressions after the experience or the scene is done and not from photographs like so many artists do. Those things I do are images that resonate from finger tip to finger tip and across the chest --- therefore, if I reflect it back out via ink or pigment or mud --- then it is something I want to keep or give away but not sell --- THE ORIGINAL that is --- I'd sell reprints like mad if I could.

It will probably be a long while before I do a Vietnam thing again --- if ever (even that APC). I think a huge painting from a real life image of my girl (at the age of 9) learning to ride on this very large horse would be a great one: do it in pastel on a Gesso coated board that is about 6 feet by 7 feet, then walk into the board and spill into it with color.

GimpO --- sorry I was not on the Navy side of the Brownwater team --- Army boat up north. I am sure both sides of the Riverine team were very heroic.

Seascamp --- submarine ?

This is my new Avatar --- it is of an Igorote: mountain Head Hunters (in the past) from the Philipine Islands. My father was Illocono but his people's neighbors may have been Igorotes (or one of about 6 mountain tribes) --- and maybe some ancient relative of mine was an Igorote.

Self-Portrait.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:31 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

No Beau, not a submarine. Virtually all US Navy surface combat ships had hydrophones and some had sonar and all kinds of mega mean anti submarine warfare equipment. Obviously the VC and PAVN didn?t have subs or much else either, but they did have swimmers that could be pesky and troublesome. But most usually we would get bored and snoop around/listen in on any vessel that came by. And sure, the hydrophones can pick up shallow draft sounds as well as deep sounds. So anyway, you guys that had gas while swimming around China Beach thought ya got away with something didn?t ya. Well nope, LOL.

Scamp