The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2002, 06:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default What is a Vet?

He is the cop on the beat who spent 6 months in Saudi Arabia sweating 2 gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.

He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than chocolat pants, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is out-weighted a hundred times in the cosmic scales by 4 hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th Parallel.

She (or he) is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for 2 solid years in Da Nang.

He is the POW who went away one person and came back another- or didn't come back AT ALL.

He is the Parris Island D.I. who has never seen combat-but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

He is the Black Hat at the Army's Airborne School in Ft. Benning Georgia who forms men into "A Band of Brothers" who will never retreat.

He is the parade-riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.

He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.

He is the 3 anonymous heroes in The Tomb of the Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.

He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket-palsied now and aggravatingly slow-who helped liberate a Nazi Death Camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.

He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being-a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.

It's the Vet, not the reporter, Who gives us our freedom of the press.

It's the Vet, not the poet, Who gives us our freedom of speech.

It's the Vet, not the campus organizer, or professer, Who gives us our freedom to demonstrate.

IT'S THE VET, WHO SALUTES THE FLAG, WHO SERVES OTHERS WITH RESPECT FOR THE FLAG, AND WHOSE COFFIN IS DRAPED BY THE FLAG, WHO ALLOWS THE PROTESTER TO BURN THE FLAG.

He is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.

So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say, "Thank you". That's all most people need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.

I wish I would have thought this up but got it in my email today.

THANKS VETS!

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2002, 07:17 AM

Paco,
That post was as pure as it gets, for love of country and Democracy and the price it really cost, if it don't tug at a persons heart reading it, they will keep on riding the free ride provided by men and women who understand, "Duty, Honor, and Country."
Old 11-19-2002, 10:35 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Thumbs up Question

Am I the only one who read each "He is..." and thought of a specific person?

Hey Packo, when you die are you going to have a flag with 50 stars or will you go with the one with 11?

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 11-19-2002, 10:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Ahh, Andy

That would be 13 stars on the Battle Flag. I plan to have both! I am hoping for one heck of a Not Politically Correct Funeral. Free Cigs and booze to all who attend! I am asking for the smoking section of the National Cemetery.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 11-19-2002, 10:54 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Party!......

Sounds great. When can we expect it?
Old 11-19-2002, 11:11 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Cool Life

Packo, for the first time in my life I hope to out live you. Smoking section is to the right of the main entrance or anywhere near Gen. Lee's home but not inside. 13 stars in a circle and 11 in bars? I'd have never guessed.

Doc Fred, what do he use for drinking whiskey? And would you hush up you mug while I passed you a jug? Hell we could have quite a time. When do you want to go to Arlington? I can always supply a body, even on short notice.

Stay healthy?
Andy
Old 11-19-2002, 01:30 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default there are some

Jugs around here I am sure. We'll have to set a date. Before or after the holidays? I am sure Tom would want later but we DO have a tight schedule.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:19 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Lightbulb oh hell

I'm in no rush, let's let him live till St. Patties Day, he's sort of Irish. March is went I'm planning on going south. I'll visit you and shoot him. Makes sense! Then we can all praise him and make damn sure he gets all the documents he desirves.
We'll even have to issue him another Purple Heart. God I hope he don't want to give his own eulogy we couold be there for hours.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 11-20-2002, 04:53 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default The Psycovets Mountain Retreat

barbeque and grill and shooting range would be very happy to host a southern gathering of psycovets and guests in March 2003.
Or anytime. Rumor has it that one of the local distillers is going to retire and put his still up for sale. We have offered to purchase the still (40 gal cooker) move it to the retreat for making medical alcohol.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

That still next to the soon to be built sauna will be too cool !