The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Army

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Crash claims life of soldier home on leave

Crash claims life of soldier home on leave

By DAN SPRINGER La Crosse Tribune

A soldier who was visiting family in Coon Valley after returning from Iraq last month died early Thursday after a rollover accident on Hwy. 14/61 near the

La Crosse and Vernon county border.

Steven Erickson, 20, was westbound on Hwy. 14/61 near Bartsch Road in the town of Greenfield when his vehicle went off the road about 12:35 a.m. and

rolled several times, ejecting him, according to the La Crosse County Sheriff's Department.

He was taken by helicopter to Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center, but did not survive surgery.

The sheriff's department said speed and alcohol were involved in the crash.

Family and friends said Erickson welcomed his chance to serve his country in Iraq and was looking forward to a second tour with his Army engineering unit in the fall.

After spending the past three weeks catching up with family and friends, Erickson was scheduled to return Monday to his base in Alaska.

John Schmit, who is married to Erickson's only sister, Casey, had nothing but praise for his brother-in-law.

"Steve was a very outgoing, very energetic person. He was always on the move and always wanted to do something," Schmit said. "He was always perfectly willing and able to help others."

Erickson could often be found helping a neighbor, giving a stranger a helping hand or doing odd jobs for his grandmother, Schmit said.

A 2002 Westby High School graduate, Erickson joined the Army not long after graduation. In January 2004, he was sent to Iraq along with his Army engineering company, Schmit said.

Erickson called home regularly during his deployment, Schmit said.

"He was very considerate in that way. He made sure he called home, and talked to my wife a lot," Schmit said. "It was not uncommon to get a call at 2 a.m. and have it be Steve."

Schmit managed to spend some time with Erickson while he was on leave, but never found the time to see photographs Erickson took in Iraq.

He finally got the chance after the accident Thursday, "but not under the circumstances I would hope," Schmit said.

"I found all of the pictures in a cornfield near the accident. He had them in his truck so he could show them to me," Schmit said. "It's sad because he really wanted me to see what he did in Iraq and all of the guys he was so close to there."

Funeral services are set for 1 p.m. Monday at Coon Valley Lutheran Church.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links