The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2005, 02:05 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default George Wallis

You remember George Wallis calling out the National Guard to fight off the little black girl and him standing in the doorway of the school. She died today. Can't think of her name right off but she was one brave little girl.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2005, 03:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

On June 11, 1963, Alabama's Governor George Wallace came to national prominence when he kept a campaign pledge to stand in the schoolhouse door to block integration of Alabama public schools.

Governor Wallace read a proclamation when he first stood in the door-way to block the attempt of two black students, Vivian Malone and James Hood, to register at the University of Alabama.

President John F. Kennedy federalized the Alabama National Guard, and ordered its units to the university campus to protect the two students. Wallace then stepped aside and returned to Montgomery allowing the students to enter.

Gov. Wallace, who died in 1998, had reached out to Mrs. Jones for forgiveness and apologized for the confrontation at the university.

"There is no question Gov. Wallace and I will be remembered for the stand in the schoolhouse door. There is no way you can overcome that," Mrs. Vivian (Malone) Jones said in a 1996 Associated Press article. "But the best that can happen at this point is to say it was a mistake. We all make mistakes."

Vivian Malone in 1963:
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:39 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

It's not commonly known but the half dozen black students that were registerd to attend college at the University of Alabama had been registerd a week before that famous picture was taken all to keep the race riots from happening in Alabama like what happend in Mississippi. George Wallace was way quicker then most folks gave him credit for.The whole deal was a scam to keep his pledge to the Voters who elected him, now you know the rest of the story. But, Most folks think all us southerners are inbred, banjo pickin rednecks that droped out of School at the 6th grade
Old 10-14-2005, 03:23 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Southerners

southerners are inbred, banjo pickin rednecks that droped out of School at the 6th grade . Southerners aren't?
And we don't get Frech benifits,

Ron
Old 10-14-2005, 04:57 AM

Loosing many milestones of people lately - time marches on may she R.I.P. and who know maybe she will run into George Wallis.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:03 PM

And does anyone
remember Orville Faubus (sp) blocking the entrance of kids to a Little Rock School and Eisenhower trumping him by federalizing the Arkansas NG and sending in the 82nd to give a hand? It happens and things change and it's nice to have memories to hold on to. Like picking myself up off the floor in a Chi-town Walgreens after my mother whomped me for using the N word I had learned from Grandpa. Grandpa didn't get whomped but he was pretty quiet around Mom and Grandma after we got back. Thank God I've had people in my life and not color.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:35 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Thumbs up

"Thank God I've had people in my life and not color" Good words to live by