forums.realpolice.net
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2003, 03:50 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Ok geres a new post, Police dogs

every once in awhile I get into this argument with a new police officer about his police dog,
It useually starts out, Oh, he wont bite you, and I say, if he dose I will kill him. Which brings on a barage of this is not just a dog but he is a police officer, which useually brings on laughter from me.
Any of the police officers we have belive that a police dog is an officer?????????

Ron
Old 04-22-2003, 05:21 PM

I think police dogs are officers. They are not human of course, but they are officers. They protect when needed. They cannot think like humans, so they must take commands from their handler. There's one instance where they do not need a command to assist and that is taking a bullet for their handler.

They are sent into dark vacant buildings and houses to locate perps. By sending the dogs before their handlers, helps to prevent an attack on their handler. They are used to chase after fleeing suspects and subduing them until their handler takes control. There are too many instances to name where police dogs are used to police the criminals and save their handlers lives.

I hope this gives you a better understanding of why policemen consider their K-9 dogs police officers.

Kindest regards,

Philly
Old 04-23-2003, 06:22 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default No

Dogs are not police officers, They are equipment, Just like a holster, They go where an officer sends them just as there vehicle does.
If you really belive they are police officers, I would like to see them cash there check, How much have they paid into the pention fund, Why does this officer get tied up at night.
A dog is not a police officer, nore are a pair of shoes.

I hope this gives you a better understanding.

Ron
Old 04-23-2003, 07:51 AM

Ron,

Why are they given a badge? If someone were to attack one of these police officers, K-9, what charges would they be brought up on? They would be brought up on assault on a police officer.

Regards,

Philly
Old 04-23-2003, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

The loyalty of dogs to humans goes beyond words. Dogs have also saved many lives serving faithfully in our armed services. If there was a dog heaven surely these would be first in line
Old 04-23-2003, 08:14 AM

Yes, the loyalty these dogs give to their handlers is deserving of respect. They have earned their badge many times over..
Old 04-23-2003, 11:55 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Philly

I would laugh all the way to the court room,
First witness I would call Is Officer Dog,
Who cashes your check Mr. Dog. What No answer,
Your Honor, would you direct this officer to answer the question.
(case dismissed)

The dog is a peace of equipment, The officer that contols the peace of equipment can charge anybody with anything, That doesn't mean they are gilty. Saying that a dog is an officer is just stupid, and If I was an officer, I wouldn't like it.
Who gets the next of kin money if the dog dies in the line of duty.

Ron
Old 04-23-2003, 12:25 PM

Ron,

Whether an officer has two legs or four legs, they should be treated with the same respect.

Police dogs are not pieces of equipment. Yes, using equipment like a revolver or a pistol could save your life. Will it jump in front of you to take a bullet for ya? Heck no! A police dog will jump in front of his handler to save his life without command. Their loyalty to humans and the work they do has earned them the title Police Officer.

The value one places on animal, such as a dog, is the way you are going to look at them in this position..a piece of equipment or Police Officer. You choose equipment and I choose police officer and the Federal law states Police Officer.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:40 PM

The article below was published in the Beacon Journal on August 1 last year. I didn't copy the entire article, but I did mark the salient points in bold face.

A felony is " a crime for which the punishment in federal law may be death or imprisonment for more than one year".

Police dogs are still officers

Judge gives Barberton man maximum of year for punching K-9 member By Phil Trexler Beacon Journal staff writer

Robert Dulabhan voiced his remorse in court Wednesday, seeking a break for punching a police officer last spring.

But the judge didn't bite.

The same could not be said of the officer, who, while responding to a call in May, chomped at Dulabhan's head before the Barberton man retaliated with the punch that landed him in court.

Despite the bite wound, Summit County Common Pleas Judge Mary Spicer said Dulabhan's reaction was unacceptable.

``An officer is an officer -- whether he has two legs or four,'' Spicer told Dulabhan before sentencing him to a year in prison for assaulting Charon, a K-9 police dog. ``They're entitled to the same respect as other officers.''

Dulabhan pleaded guilty to assaulting a police dog, a fifth-degree felony , and aggravated menacing, a misdemeanor.

He told court officials he remembered little of the event, except being bitten by Charon.