The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2003, 09:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Lady Creffield

Sorry, I should have provided more context, and I worded that incorrectly. The people who take the time to vote now, when it is voluntary, are indeed people who have given the action thought. But if it was made mandatory, as Larry suggested, the people who do not vote because they do not care--and yes, these people DO exist--would be forced to do so. If they were, then they'd arbitrarily choose something that they weren't very informed about and sully the results.

I hope that helps elucidate it somewhat.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2003, 11:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Voting should be . . .

Voluntary, for those who really care! And, only those who vote should be allowed to complain.

Keith
Old 05-27-2003, 05:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default voting ...

I put the "mandatory voting" idea on the table to prove a point...It is the single most powerful and least used weapon to change this country for the best. The politicians do not want you to know this.
The powers that really run this world usually have both or all 3 sides on their payroll, so "any way you look at it you lose"...( apologies to Simon and Garfunkel and Mrs. Robinson )...that is not to say that we shouldn't participate, and keep pushing for a better world....If there could be some incentive to vote responsibly, EMPHASIS ON THE WORD RESPONSIBLY !!, ....say a break on taxes..property taxes..or even free lottery tickets..hell.. there are all kinds of possiblities...a little story.....
In 1974 I lived in inner city Memphis in an apartment complex that was all white..we moved 8 months later and the neighborhood is now all black..There is a school just down the road where I played softball..This precinct has voted totally Democrat ( usually about 800 - 0 ) for as long as I have been watching it..except for last year.. when the Republicans got 2 votes. The total number of registered voters vs. adults vs. those that vote is about 50% and 25 %..so 25% of the folks in that precinct vote 100% for lying cheating corrupt weasels everytime ( and trust me ..they are )...sad ..so.. sad....but there is hope..if all of the things I listed were put in place..even slightly modified..there would be a SEA CHANGE !!....Am I optimistic ? ..yes...I have seen the worst that man can do to himself in the rest of the world...we are so blessed...enough for now..

Larry
Old 05-27-2003, 05:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to judyvillecco

The discussions above are why we still have the electoral college I guess. The electoral college knows best and the popular vote doesn't. However rarely does the popular vote differ and that's what makes America great. It isn't perfect but it's better than most. I'm with Keith though I vote and I get to complain!
Old 05-27-2003, 10:54 AM

I have never liked the electoral college but our foundering fathers though it was the right thing to do who am I to disagree with something that has worked for over three hundred years. would much reather see the popular vote be the last word but,,, as far as mandatoy voting not a change to easy to get one man rule just look at some of the other country's that have said here you vote and by the way this is who to vote for! been voting every sence 1966 haven't miss to many years doing so,and YES I COMPLAIN, and will untill my voice is gone from my body.

razz
P.S I have voted for the rupblicans before may God have mercy on me.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default razz...

thanks for being honest..I bet 'ol Gimpy has voted Republican too...OUCH !! I voted for McGovern because Nixon drafted me and sent me to Cambodia..voted for Carter..I wasn't too impressed with Ford and sick of Nixon and his buddies..Carter was a major disappointment..If the Iran rescue had gone better he wouldn't have lost so bad...never was a chance I would vote for Mondale ( I will tax, tax, tax you and you will love it ), Dukakis,
Clinton, Clinton, Perot, Perot, or Gore...I would always consider a third party, Anderson was probably the last credible one...

Our city and county are run by part-timers as is the school board for both...for an area with a population over a million ( total for county ) it is very-sorry-leadership..the voters sure don't help much either by returning the same losers to office year after year...

Larry
Old 05-27-2003, 11:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to judyvillecco
Talking

I think I wrote in Mickey Mouse one time for something because the choices were so bad. I wrote in McCain even though Bush was on the ticket as a protest...couldn't vote for Gore, couldn't vote for Bush. Sometimes the choices are do you want to be shot or hung! :re: :cd:
Old 05-29-2003, 08:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Well I'll be a hornswaggled, grammatically deficient,somewhat humorous scalawag!

I stays away fer a couple-a weeks and lookee what happens. A perfectly good debate about the so-called "liberal bias" within the media turns into something totally incoherent with a new "county" heard from.

BTW dude, I DID vote republican a few times---even the FIRST time for old Ronnie Reagen---but, sure as HELL not the next time. It was under his "regime" that we veterans received the LEAST amount of help than any other time in modern history!

Back to the "subject matter" now.

Now lookee heanh little missee "Lady" Crowfield, Creeflow, Cryflung, or whomeva you is. Dontcha come around heanh spouting your so-called grammatical "correctness" while appearing to be the antithesis of all things gracious and goody-goody. ESPECIALLY when attempting to put forth dialogue so profoundly inept and full of "stuff" you've read in yo history books! As you seem to have somewhat of semblance of "schooling" and apparent limited command of the English language of which attempts to exhibit your "book learning" are at best infantile and immature, or at worst---a futile example of exhibitionism! Your attempts to encourage such folks as my friend(s) SuperSnotty and Recon and other such "Kornsurvatives" with their failed positions and arguements regarding the subject matter are no more than infinitely inadequate. If you are as you say you are (young and obviously inexperienced), then your attempts to opine on subjects of which you have absolutely no practical, applicable life experience is no more than an arbitrary appraisal of your "book learning"!

Your "mocking" of my attempts to "humorize" the names of my friend SuperScout (at least I consider him my friend, we share many of the same life experiences, including sheding blood for our beliefs and our country---he may however, feel I am no more than just a "cyber-aquaintance" of his---and that's OK as well) and his "Kornsurvativness" are apparently intended to draw out a "combative" nature and somewhat designed to incur my wrath. If this is so----my congratulations, you've been minimally successful! You see I've had many, many involvements over the years with "snot-nosed" little know-it-alls that have no more than "book-learning" to bring to the "table" of "knowledge" and were NEARLY as arrogant and condescending as you.

When you are "old" enough to vote, and then reap the benefits or repercussions of that action and have gained the TRUE knowledge of "life" in the "real" world----THEN you may---just may, have the ability to accurately and substantially offer positions and arguements that have some merit.

Until then, ta, ta and "back to the books", huh??

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:29 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Lady C ...

pay Grumpy... er Gimpy.. no never-mind....You have the right and privilege to say whatever you want to around here...How else will you ever learn ? 'Nuf Sed !!

Larry

P.S. : So Gimpy admits voting for Reagan ? I knew it !!
Old 05-29-2003, 04:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Lady Creffield

Mr. Gimpy;

I sincerely hope that made you feel better.