The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2008, 11:18 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Go Easy Man - A Point Of Clarification.

Now that the endeavor to get the Honor Our Fallen Prisoners of War Act has culminated, and the ultimate Powers That Be have realized that those who died horrendously in enemy captivity were worthy of a Purple Heart Medal, I can close the book on this chapter of my life!

Never, and I repeat NEVER, has Brenda, Shorty or I, saw this crusade as a means to personal agenda. As a matter of fact, many years ago, I saw a photograph on the wall of my wife’s grandmother’s house in Stanfield, North Carolina. The portrait was of a young man in an Army uniform, and was typical of the shots taken in Basic Training or Boot Camp.

When I inquired about the picture, I was informed that it was my wife’s uncle Melvin who served with the 24th Infantry Division, an outfit that was stationed in Japan at the onset of the Korean War. Melvin had been taken prisoner in Korea (July 1950), and then marched (Tiger Death March)to the north to a POW facility, under horrible conditions. He later died there, along with hundreds of others, at the age of 20, from starvation and beatings.

I later learned that most of the American military personnel that were captured and died in the beginning days of that War, were never granted a posthumous Purple Heart. It was at this point in time, that Shorty Estabrook, my wife Brenda, and I, began a campaign to attempt to right this long-standing wrong. A project that took over 4 long years.

Finally, and with the outstanding help of some 36 veteran’s groups, well over 200 Congressmen, many senators, and a multitude of other patriotic Americans, the Bill (Honor Our Fallen Prisoners of War Act) finally was accepted, and will be incorporated into the Manual of Military Decorations and Awards, DoD Directive 1348.33-M come June 2008.

“So who are we ?” My wife is a Southern gal, Shorty Estabrook is retired Army (Sgt) and an ex-POW, and me, I am what I have always been - just a bum - no medals, no awards, no titles, and very little talent, save for a big mouth, a love of our Nation and those who gave their all for her! But in either case, I feel that it is the duty of all who live here, to honor their country, as well as those who serve to protect her, and to leave this nation a little better off for our having been here!

I was recently asked about my e-mail address sgt1@sciti.com? I was referred to by this particular party as Sarge! For the record, and as I have told several others this in the past, the SGT is my youngest son’s initials - this was his computer before he went off to university. He still uses this computer, it is his when he is at home. I never was a sergeant, and in my opinion, they are the backbone of the service as far as I am concerned! Again, I am just an opinionated bum, nothing more, and I can live with that!

Have I gotten irritated during these years of fighting for this issue - your damned right I have - it is in my nature! The bottom line, however, is not me, but rather the 17,000 plus Americans who perished while being held as POWs since 7 December, 1941. They went far too long without the recognition that they earned and deserved, and even in death, they must not be forgotten! If I bruised some mentalities, so be it. Along side of this issue, their egos mean nothing!!!

It was, and still is, in this spirit that Brenda, Shorty and I, continued to fight for that which is right! Not for ourselves, although Shorty certainly deserves credit for the over three years he spent in enemy captivity, and Brenda deserved credit for the work she put in and for putting up with me for well over thirty-six years! As for me, I have done nothing of merit, save for loving my country!

No amount of bad-mouthing, down-playing, or other political fun and games, however, can detract from what these American Heroes gave to us all, past, present and future!

Yes, I am nothing but a bum, even a failure if you prefer. But what these POWs gave to you (their lives and futures), is a gift of pure love and devout patriotism that no man or woman, no matter how well situated, how bedecked with medals, titles or awards, can be allowed to besmirch!

“The work is now done, and I am gone forever!” I spewed forth enough words and feelings over the past four years to last several life times, and to garner the ire of many a political type, and their attached cronies, who felt that I was upsetting their apple-carts.

I am not a politician, nor am I a climber. All that I ask you to remember from this date on, and forever more, is not me or Brenda, but rather the sacrifices of those who gave us their all! A man, after all, does not have to be a hero to love his country and appreciate the deeds of those who died in her service!

For better or worse, this is Uncas, the last time you hear from me on this, or any other issue or site- the job is done and I am tired and sick, and so it is!

VERITAS (Truth) and many thanks for your help and patience.

P.S. - The title (GO EASY) was some advice given to me this day by a friend in the media....

Respectfully,

Rick
Old 03-28-2008, 03:48 PM

Default Thanks

You have done an honorable thing!!!!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote