The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2009, 04:58 AM

Default Letters

Has anyone here written their congressmen or senators? If so, did you get a response?

I guess I am one of the silent majority and thus part of the problem with the country. I have been concerned with things that were going in the past but I am really worried this time.

I don't know what our new president will do but I do know what our legislative branch has done for the past several years. I am considering a few e-mails to my representatives to voice my concern. I am not all that articulate and I do want to keep my respectful but get my point across as to my displeasure.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Pete
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2009, 06:32 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

The second post on this thread is exactly what I sent to my members of Congress.
Digging Into Obama's Stimulus - The Patriot Files... Digging Into Obama's Stimulus - The Patriot Files...
What I got back on the Auto bailout is below. I filled out the form as Mrs. and the response came to Mr. Miller.

Quote:
Dear Mr. Miller:

Thank you for writing me regarding the granting of federal loans to the domestic automobile industry. I appreciate hearing from you about this important issue.

As you know, in 2008 General Motors (GM), Ford, and Chrysler asked the federal government to provide loans to help them through the current credit crisis. Company executives testified before Congress explaining their financial situation and plans to restore viability to their companies if they were to receive the loans. Executives contended that if they did not receive federal assistance in the near future, one or all of them may have to file for bankruptcy, an event which could lead to millions of job losses and have a devastating effect on the entire economy. On December 10, 2008, the House of Representatives passed H.R. 7321, the Auto Industry Financing and Restructuring Act, which contained language authorizing loans to these automakers. Although H.R. 7321 passed by a vote of 237 to 170 with one member voting present, the Senate was unable to reach an agreement to pass the auto loan legislation. I voted in favor of a procedural motion to proceed with considering auto loan legislation. However, the vote failed to get the required sixty votes, thereby preventing the Senate from moving forward with a bill to provide the loans.

Since Congress was unable to pass legislation to provide loans to the automakers, on December 19, 2008, the Bush Administration announced it would lend $17.4 billion to the auto industry using money that had been authorized under the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP). President Bush stated that each company will have until March 31, 2009, to create a viable business plan that demonstrates how the company will restructure in order to become profitable in the future. If a company does not meet this deadline, or if it is determined that the company's restructuring plan is not viable, then the loans must be repaid to the federal government.

Be assured I am closely monitoring this issue and will continue to do so as the 111th Congress gets underway. I am committed to working with all parties involved to achieve an agreement that allows for a sustainable and profitable domestic auto industry that serves the needs of the American people. Thank you for sharing your views with me about this important issue, and I will keep your comments in mind. Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future.

I hope all is well in Yakima.
Basically, I think that your input is considered when it is tightly focused.

You should contact your members of Congress. It is immediate feedback on how we feel about what they are doing. This does not mean that they will always vote with the majority of the comments but they will find it tough to ignore on every vote.

The TARP was pushed fast even though people are against it. Even Bush voted for it because he was told that another 1929 crash was coming if he didn't.

Write Congress, the President & Vice President. Put your ideas down in a word processing program where you can check spelling and edit for clarity. Their comment forms are online at the official websites.

Joy

Old 01-19-2009, 10:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I have written:

I have written my congressmen and senators over the years quite often. I write concerning general issues that are in the news and personal concerns.
Almost without exception I have received a reply. If it is a person issue I usually get a reply that my office will look into it. If it is a general issue I get a reply, concerns about the economy, I'll almost always get reply from Doc Hastings and Patty Murray. I don't think I've ever gotten a reply from Maria Cantwell. Both Doc and Patty's offices seem to be well run and make inquiries. I'm not sure what Maria Cantwell's office is thinking, I guess she thinks she is a Senator for Western Washington and Eastern Washington doesn't count.
I have never voted for Patty Murray but I do believe she cares and is honest in her concerns for her constituents.

The reason I started writing them was because of my political envolvement many years ago. I was a small town mayor and city councilman, I also have served on the local hospital board and finance committee so when issues came up concerning laws and regulations and funding I would write with my concerns.

Keith
Old 01-20-2009, 08:09 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Over the past year I have sent a lot of emails about various issues and I usually get responses from my Representative ( Steve Cohen ), but not my Senators.

I do it thru this site :

http://www.downsizedc.org/index.shtml

Larry
Old 01-21-2009, 07:46 AM

I write em to. or i should say email on the gov website. and i have received some replies.