The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2007, 03:50 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Georgia

Legislation was just introduced that requires people in Georgia to have a drivers licenses to get licens plates for there car. ?
So what was it before. You could have a car and get plates and not have a license? Illegals are upset. How can they get plates for the 65 chevy now, this is discrimination.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2007, 04:53 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ron,

Let's say my 85 year old mom turns in her drivers license because she feels she's too old to drive but does not want to give up her car so people that drive her places don't have to use their vehicle. Now she can't do that. I'm sure it's a thing, like you said, to curb illegals driving cars w/out a license, but as most legislation, innocent people will be affected. In SC, when illegals are in accidents that hit the papers, which is most times, they have plates but no license.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:35 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

I would hope there would be provisions for the disabled of any kind that find themselves not being able or just not wanting to be behind the wheel. I haven't seen the legislation but it sure would be irresponsible for them not to have provisions. But then, I would have thought there would have already been laws about getting license and having to have a drivers license.

Ron
Old 02-21-2007, 06:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ron,

It's been my experience that when our "fine" state and federal legislators do something like this, common sense gets left behind. I doubt, but don't know either, there are any provisions for disabled etc. I'd almost be willing to bet on it. It's like all these laws about driving now. No cell phones, no coffee, no talking to passengers, no radio, etc. My reaction is that the police will have to give up their radio's, computers, etc. because of the distration to their driving also. There is no course they take in police training that teaches them to use all that stuff and be able to pay attention to their driving. It's all swatting a fly with a 1,000 pound bomb. "But if it will save one life......"

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 02-21-2007, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

Ron, for almost 5 years I wasn't able to drive because of seizures that are now under control. I'm rated total and permanent by the Veterans Administration and as a result of that rating here in Georgia I'm entitled to DV plates for my vehicle at a cost of $1 annually plus the cost of the yearly emmisions test and if I wasn't able to plate the van, Joanne would have had to pay full cost for the plates plus ad-valorum taxes which makes it just a little less than $300 a year.
You're exactly right IF the bill is ammended to allow for disabled owners to plate their vehicles in their names but the state should pay the cost of proof of disability and with no additional cost being absorbed by the person registering the vehicle. All additional cost including State charges should be obsorbed by the owner if a false claim of disability is made.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:52 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Legislating safety, I never agreed with. all that does is save the stupid drivers so they can be stupid tomorrow. Instead of an airbag in the steering column I'd put a 8 inch stainless steel spike sticking straight at the persons chest. Dumb only happens once.
There is way to much comfort while driving, reclining seats, Lumbar vibrators, heated seats, cell phones, navigation, air bags. duel climate controls, MP3 connections, DVDs ETC. ETC.

Cars should be made for driving not to relax in . I don't want to go back to Model T but some of the crap they are putting in new cars is just dumb, unless paying attention is not real high up on the list of options.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 39mto39g Legislating safety, I never agreed with. all that does is save the stupid drivers so they can be stupid tomorrow. .
It also saves them to breed more stupid people.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:39 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Stick
My opinion of disabled people is that they should pay , Nothing for plates or license. Especially military disabled.
Trouble with that is all those people out there that got there free hover round chair at taxpayers expense, and there disability was questionable. If there was a way to certify a disability then , in my opinion, every thing the government offers, City, county, state and federal should be free.

Advisor
Finally , we agree.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:30 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Ron, Here in Georgia if your a Military Veteran living in the state for 5 years or enlisted from GA you get your Drivers License Free and if your 100% VA disabled you get the free HV plate my wife has both of them I will get my Free DL the next time I renew. So right now GA has some good laws for military drivers.