The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War I

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2002, 03:50 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy Old Vet Harry Purdy Sr. Buried

ZILLAH -- The two mules bobbed their heads up and down as they slowly pulled a wagon toward the Zillah City Cemetery Saturday.

Inside the wagon in a casket draped with an American flag was a man more than 100 people came to honor -- World War I veteran Harry E. Purdy Sr., who died July 19 at the age of 108. He was the third oldest World War I veteran in the nation, according to family members.

Veterans who fought in World War II, the Vietnam and Korean wars somberly led and trailed the wagon.

Purdy was taken to the cemetery by wagon because he had driven a mule-drawn wagon for his own father's funeral, said granddaughter Lois Chester of Mabton.

After the wagon stopped in the cemetery, several veterans carefully carried the casket to its final resting place as family and friends watched. Near the plot stood Purdy's son, Harry Purdy Jr., 80, of Zillah. He said "it was great" to have his father around for so many years.

"He was, as far as I could tell, a real good man," Purdy Jr. said, smiling. "He's seen a lot of changes in this country. He helped make a lot of them."

Purdy Sr., born on Nov. 25, 1893, in Mulberry, Mo., went to France more than 80 years ago to help build bridges and roads, dig trenches, string barbed wire and fight. He was inducted into the United States Army on Sept. 28, 1917, and was a member of the 110th Engineering Battalion, 35th Division.

Returning to Kansas after the way, he started a family with his young wife, Edlin, who died in a fire in 1946, said Purdy Sr.'s granddaughter, Sue Hodges of Granger.

They had two children -- Purdy Jr., and daughter Louise Mathias of Sunnyside. From there, the family grew. Purdy Sr. left behind eight grandchildren, 14 great-grandchildren and 18 great-great-grandchildren.

Great-granddaughter Ann Purdy of Sedro Woolley was at the funeral.

"I listened to him tell stories about World War I," she said of her time spent with her great-grandfather.

And Paul Purdy, 14, was also there. He is Purdy's great-great-grandson and even though he didn't know him well, the teen-ager said he felt lucky to have known him.

That was the sentiment expressed by many Saturday. Prayers and speeches were given by Greg Schlieve and Bill Ingram -- members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Sunnyside Post 3482. Ingram read a poem written by Ruth Cole, a 20-year member of the Lady's Auxiliary, also with Post 3482.

The poem, titled "To Our Old Warrior," reads in part:

"I wonder if he ever knew the awe he instilled on people as they watched him and, if lucky, talked to him?

"I wonder if they knew the pride that others felt when they saw him and knew what he did so long ago?

"I wonder if he really knew how much he helped America?"

http://www.yakima-herald.com/cgi-bin/liveique.acgi$rec=54926?home