Old 02-05-2003, 04:08 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Hagee: Marines, sailors ready if called upon to fight

February 05, 2003

Hagee: Marines, sailors ready if called upon to fight

By Steven Gutkin
Associated Press

IN THE KUWAITI DESERT ? Shouts of ?ooh-rah!? greeted the commandant of the Marine Corps on Wednesday as he told some 1,300 Marines and sailors they were ready to fight if needed in a war against Iraq.
?There should be no doubt in your mind that you are ready if the president decides military action is required,? said Gen. Michael Hagee.

?Send us forward!? shouted one of the men gathered around for the general?s pep talk.

?That?s up to our president,? Hagee responded.

He said the Marines have made great strides in the quality of equipment, training, intelligence and coordination with other military services since the last Gulf War, in 1991.

?We are a quantum step above where we were 10 years ago,? he told reporters.

At least 30,000 U.S. troops have arrived in Kuwait and tens of thousands more are expected before a war that Washington says will be launched soon unless Saddam Hussein proves Iraq has done away with all biological, chemical and nuclear weapons the Bush administration insists it still possesses.

Before addressing the Marines, Hagee conducted a ceremony re-enlisting one young man and promoting another.

Emilio Hernandez, a 32-year-old sergeant who signed up for another four-year tour of duty, said Hagee?s visit was a ?110 percent boost? for morale, which he described as ?not all that high? because of homesickness.

?I?m afraid that once we cross the lines there?s a possibility we could take some casualties,? he said. ?But I can?t let that drag me down. I just keep charging.?

Other Marines interviewed said morale was good, but most said they were anxious to get any war over with and go back home.

?Don?t worry about how long and don?t worry about when,? Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps Alford McMichael, told the Marines. ?You just be ready!?

During his overseas trip, Hagee, whose office is in the Pentagon, is visiting Bahrain, Kuwait, Afghanistan and Germany. All those interviewed said they appreciated his visit.

?We kind of look at him like a warrior type version of the pope,? said Capt. Joseph Plenzler, 31, of Toledo, Ohio.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2003 The Associated Press

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links