The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2003, 03:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to grasshopper
Cool something to remember.....

It is amazing that George Carlin - gross and mouthy comedian of the 70's and 80's - could write something
so very eloquent... and so very appropriate .. and so true.....

A Wonderful Message by George Carlin:

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less,
we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more
conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness. We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom. We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things. We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less. These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships.

These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes.

These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill.

It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete.

Remember, spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever. Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side. Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent. Remember to say, "I love you" to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you. Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again. Give time to love, give time to speak, and give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind. Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. HOW TO STAY YOUNG 1. Throw out nonessential numbers. This includes age, weight and height. Let the doctor worry about them. That is why you pay him/her. 2. Keep only cheerful friends.. The grouches pull you down. 3. Keep learning. Learn more about the computer, crafts, gardening, whatever. Never let the brain idle. "An idle mind is the devil's workshop." And the devil's name is Alzheimer's. 4. Enjoy the simple things. 5. Laugh often, long and loud. Laugh until you gasp for breath. 6. The tears happen. Endure, grieve, and move on. The only person who is with us our entire life, is ourselves. Be ALIVE while you are alive. 7. Surround yourself with what you love, whether it's family, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever. Your home is your refuge. 8. Cherish your health: If it is good, preserve it. If it is unstable, improve it. If it is beyond what you can improve, get help. 9. Don't take guilt trips. Take a trip to the mall, to the next county, to a foreign country, but NOT to where the guilt is. 10. Tell the people you love that you love them, at every opportunity. AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

If you don't send this to at least 8 people.... who cares?
-George Carlin
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2003, 03:26 PM

Grsshopper,

It's true the older you get the more you're able to express yourself in the terms and words that embody your lifes events. I have several of his finest writings and I've copied this one for my records as well.

I too don't agree with everything he's done in his life but who likes everything we've done with our lives. Times and situations change and I've mellowed "a whole bunch" in the last twenty years.

But I too have my moments where the little moron jumps out and my mouth overloads my ass and its a creature of habit and much depends on how your day has gone.

I appreciate you posting this and I will forward it only to those who will understand. Not everyone is capable of grasping the message when written by Carlin.

Thanks Again

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 08-20-2003, 04:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

the author is not George Carlin...

Claim: A widely-circulated essay known as "The Paradox of Our Time" was penned by a student who witnessed the Columbine shootings.

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 1999]

The Paradox of our Time

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings, but shorter tempers; wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints.

We spend more, but have less; we buy more, but enjoy it less.

We have bigger houses and smaller families; more conveniences, but less time;

We have more degrees, but less sense; more knowledge, but less judgment; more experts, but more problems; more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry too quickly, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too seldom, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values.

We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life; we've added years to life, not life to years.

We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet the new neighbor.

We've conquered outer space, but not inner space.

We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul.

We've split the atom, but not our prejudice.

We write more, but learn less.

We plan more, but accomplish less.

We've learned to rush, but not to wait.

We build more computers to hold more information to produce more copies than ever, but have less communication.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion; tall men, and short character; steep profits, and shallow relationships.

These are the times of world peace, but domestic warfare; more leisure, but less fun; more kinds of food, but less nutrition.

These are days of two incomes, but more divorce; of fancier houses, but broken homes.

These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throw-away morality, one-night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer to quiet, to kill.

It is a time when there is much in the show window and nothing in the stockroom; a time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete.

Origins: In
May 1998, Jeff Dickson posted the 'Paradox of Our Time' essay to his Hacks-R-Us online forum, loosing it upon the Internet. The essay has since been attributed to comedian George Carlin, an unnamed Columbine High School student, and that most prolific of scribes, Anonymous.

George Carlin very emphatically denied he had had anything to do with "Paradox," a piece he referred to as "a sappy load of shit," and posted his comments about being associated with this essay on his own web site.

The true author of the piece is neither George Carlin nor Jeff Dickson, nor is he anonymous. Credit belongs with Dr. Bob Moorehead, former pastor of Seattle's Overlake Christian Church. (He retired in 1998 after 29 years in that post). The essay appeared under the title "The Paradox of Our Age" in Words Aptly Spoken, Dr. Moorehead's 1995 collection of prayers, homilies, and monologues used in his sermons and radio broadcasts:

The Paradox of Our Age

We have taller buildings but shorter tempers; wider freeways but narrower viewpoints; we spend more but have less; we buy more but enjoy it less; we have bigger houses and smaller families; more conveniences, yet less time; we have more degrees but less sense; more knowledge but less judgement; more experts, yet more problems; we have more gadgets but less satisfaction; more medicine, yet less wellness; we take more vitamins but see fewer results. We drink too much; smoke too much; spend too recklessly; laugh too little; drive too fast; get too angry quickly; stay up too late; get up too tired; read too seldom; watch TV too much and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values; we fly in faster planes to arrive there quicker, to do less and return sooner; we sign more contracts only to realize fewer profits; we talk too much; love too seldom and lie too often. We've learned how to make a living, but not a life; we've added years to life, not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet the new neighbor. We've conquered outer space, but not inner space; we've done larger things, but not better things; we've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul; we've split the atom, but not our prejudice; we write more, but learn less; plan more, but accomplish less; we make faster planes, but longer lines; we learned to rush, but not to wait; we have more weapons, but less peace; higher incomes, but lower morals; more parties, but less fun; more food, but less appeasement; more acquaintances, but fewer friends; more effort, but less success. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but have less communication; drive smaller cars that have bigger problems; build larger factories that produce less. We've become long on quantity, but short on quality.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion; tall men, but short character; steep in profits, but shallow relationships. These are times of world peace, but domestic warfare; more leisure and less fun; higher postage, but slower mail; more kinds of food, but less nutrition. These are days of two incomes, but more divorces; these are times of fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, cartridge living, thow-away morality, one-night stands, overweight bodies and pills that do everything from cheer, to prevent, quiet or kill. It is a time when there is much in the show window and nothing in the stock room. Indeed, these are the times!
Those intent upon taking inspiration from "Paradox" should consider the following: Bob Moorehead sexually assaulted seventeen members of his congregation during his tenure as pastor of Overlake Christian Church. These allegations, which surfaced in 1997, prompted his resignation in 1998. After a year of publicly supporting Moorehead, the church elders withdrew their support, their own investigation into the charges leading them to conclude their pastor had indeed been guilty of molesting a number of male churchgoers.

Its true authorship aside, the piece picked up its attribution to an unnamed student who witnessed the killings at Littleton in the aftermath of 20 April 1999, while America was still struggling to make sense of that day's horrific events. The killings at Columbine shook us deeply, leaving behind a nation of survivors looking for the one set of answers which could begin to explain the horrifically inexplicable. Having this essay flow from the pen of an unnamed student who bore witness to this unspeakable act of violence made sense ? surely such a teen would have valuable words of wisdom or cautions we all should heed. The oft-repeated header "A Columbine High School student wrote" infused the essay with the significance and meaning folks thirsted for. (This belief that witnessing a tragedy or losing a loved one imbues a person with special insight into the causes and cures of society's ills also fuels the Internet version of the testimony given before the House judiciary committee by Darrell Scott, father of Rachel Scott, one of the teens murdered at Columbine High School.)

It felt right that this essay emerge from the horror that was the Columbine massacre. Certainly someone somewhere had to be able to make sense of all this. Certainly some good, some protection against future acts of random insanity, had to come out of all this grief and loss, else what had it all been for? Yet that was not the case. The essay which has come to be called "The Paradox of Our Time" was written at least four years before the killings in Littleton, Colorado. There was no association between the essay and the shootings, though many felt at least momentarily comforted by the notion that there had been.

We like pieces such as "The Paradox of Our Time" because they summarize all the problems of modern society into a neat laundry list of "What Has Gone Wrong" while presenting possible solutions by way of juxtaposition. The pairing of "We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values," for example, implies that increased affluence is responsible for a decline in morality and carries the underlying implication that if we turn our backs on the almighty dollar, our kids will no longer murder one another.

Clear-cut cause-and-effect pairings provide far more comfort than does accepting the harsh reality that we live in a world of no assurances at all, a world where bad things can happen at any moment, to anyone, for no discernable (and thus no preventable) reason. Our ancestors coped with that feeling of powerlessness by inventing myths about petty, lust-filled, vengeful gods who, even if they were capricious in their actions and insensible to the human misery their warring caused, were at least tangible entities who could be identified as the cause of otherwise unfathomable catastrophes. Our sophistication has loosed us from our belief in those myths, leaving us vulnerable to a sense of a world careening out of control.

Barbara "chaos theory" Mikkelson

Last updated: 30 May 2003

The URL for this page is http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/paradox.asp
Old 08-21-2003, 05:54 AM

Mort,

I'm impressed you did your homework and I thank for it. There are many things we don't know are too quick to give credit where credit it do. I stand corrected and thank you for your feedback.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 08-21-2003, 07:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to grasshopper

Mort... thanks for the info.

Personally I do not care who wrote it.. I just think the words are so timely and they sure made me think!

But.. it is also important to give the true author his due also. Thank you so much for the correction.

Boats! (((((HUGS))))))))))) missed ya!

Susan

~Vote PATRIOT FILES in the \"Top 100\"~
Old 08-21-2003, 09:25 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Good stuff Susan thanks and how very true. At a time George Carlin did have a comedy routine that picked up on a lot of these concepts and made me laugh till my flanks ached. His theme was about ?stuff? and our social madness about collecting ?stuff?. He just went on and on about ?stuff? and it was hilarious. As you are just through moving, I?d bet a bunch you had thoughts about ?stuff? but I?m not so sure you found all that "stuff" quite so funny at that moment, LOL.

Scamp
Old 08-21-2003, 11:41 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Having read one of Carlin's books in the past, when I read THE WONDERFUL MESSAGE it did seem like Carlin-on-Valium, or a hair too New Age for his contemporary caustic self.

In any case, there was a lot in it, regardless of author, that rang true and was remindful of things to think about... so, thanks for it.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:15 PM

Hugs did I miss something? I didn't get any hugs - where are these backlog of hugs coming from? I need more hugs!!

Thanks for the kindness I now should go out and have a beer cause I'm burning out from another 11 hour workday.

Good Night All

"IN GOD WE TRUST"