The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War II

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-20-2004, 03:18 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Thumbs up My Cousin Buddy Haas ,US Army 77th Div

Today My cousin Gary Haas sent me a newspaper clipping of his Father Buddy Haas who served his country in WW2 . He was always the Grocery Store Manager and cousin to me but today I learned he was wounded during the war in Okinawa while serving in the 307th Inf Reg/ 77th Infantry Divison. Charlie Hayes, who was his replacement after PFC Haas was wounded, was at the Medal ceremony with 8th District U.S. Congresswoman Jo Ann Emerson. He was presented the Bronze star and his Second Purple Heart along with nine other medals and ribbons. In the newspaper clipping he has all the Medals on his shirt plus the CIB . My Cousin Buddy Haas is 79 years old this year and is part of the great generation.

Some background on the 77th Inf Div : The unit was activated in 1942, they trained in Hawaii for amphibious assaults and jungle warfare. Elements of the unit were attached to the 3rd Marine Amphibious Force and assaulted the eastern beaches of Guam; they also fought in Leyte, Kerama Retto, Keise Shima, Le Shima, The 77th Infantry Division combined forces with the 1st Marine Division in Okinawa, as well as, the Philippines and trained for Operation Olympic. The 77th fought in three campaigns.