Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2011, 05:48 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperScout View Post
DSC's are NOT awarded on an honorary basis - ever. Now, regarding the Legion of Merit award so prominently displayed, I have some problems with it as well: why is there a 'star' on it? Or a "V" device? Those devices don't apply to the LoM. And speaking of stars, what's with those four stars on Chesty's Navy Cross? If he received the NC multiple times, the multiple awards would be represented by an Oak Leaf Cluster. Same/Same for the Air Medal.

BOTTOM LINE: I think that we have been suckered by this dg0223 character. The entire rack now appears phony.
Last time I got inquisitive about something of this nature (i.e. my query as to how MacArthur came by his CIB), it started an argument amongst about 25 militaria collectors which lasted six months

Anyhoo, Sir Scout, thou hast bringethed up many a fascinating matters.
I doubt that the fellow was on purpose trying to pull a fast one on us though... of such minutiae is the hobby and profession of militaria obsessed.

> I read a quotation, in research for my reply, which stated that the NAVY decided:

"The 1942 legislation synchronized the Army and Navy's "Pyramid of Honor," eliminated the dual combat/noncombat award of the Medal of Honor and Navy Cross and brought several previously Army-only decorations into the naval service."

I have no clue what the heck that ^ is supposed to mean. Army is Army and Navy is Navy, Marines are Marines.

> The correct device for additional Navy Cross is, indeed, a gold star 5/16th of an inch in diameter.

> The correct device for subsequent Air Medals is, absolutely, an OLC or Cs for Army and Air Force. Now, as Chesty was a Marine, coming under the "Strike Flight" criteria for Air Medals, we are possibly back in the doo doo again, but not alone. The rationale I've read from his biography (NOT his autobiography, by the way) states that those AM were awarded for numerous flights he made on orders during Korea.

And then, this is the subsequent award device guidance for Navy and Marines:

"Individual Award. Awarded to persons who, while serving in any capacity with the Armed Forces of the United States, distinguishes himself/herself by heroic/meritorious achievement while participating in an aerial flight under flight orders. A 3/16 inch bronze star is worn to denote first individual award of the Air Medal. Gold stars are worn to denote second and subsequent individual awards of the Air Medal."

> As for devices to the LOM:

DEVICES
  • Army and Air Force
Additional awards are denoted by oak leaf clusters.
  • Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard
Additional awards are denoted by gold stars five-sixteenths of an inch in diameter, and the Combat Distinguishing Device (e.g. a V) may be authorized.

p.s.
I am now made curious to know whether an Arrowhead combat distinguishing device may be added to the LOM as well as a V?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links